Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I use both my 30 GB Ipod and my treo.

If I don't carry a bag to work, then I usually use my Treo. If I do, and in the winter when I have a jacket, then I use the iPod.
    iPod sucks, get a Creative Zen Touch.

Doesn't support AAC but it does support WMA.
    I cannot speak on the iPod, but I use Sony MDR-V700 headphones with my Treo and the sound is incredible.
    We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
    I was going to buy an iPod before I got my Treo. I carry the Treo everywhere I go and the sound quality though my B&O A8's is fantastic. I don't know if I would have carried the iPod everywhere.

Now I just carry 2 512Mb SD cards and I can go sort through all of the music I get uploaded to my music servers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Rat
    I have both the Treo600 and the iPod. They really shouldnt be a choice of one or the other. I like them both for different things. In terms of quality, in my case, I couldn't see the difference after I copied the iTunes equalizer settings on my Pocket Tunes.
    Treo Rat (or anyone in the know),
    When you say you copied the iTunes equalizer settings, did you mean that you manually adjusted the Pocket Tunes eq settings to replicate your settings on the ipod, or did you mean that you copied a file over to the Treo that contains such eq settings?

I have been wondering as of late whether any custom eq plug-ins exist for Pocket-Tunes. I use the iTunes skin and love it, but still wish I had more eq control.

Thanks.
    SONY Z100 (Sprint) --> Motorola StarTac 7868 (Sprint) --> Handspring Visor Deluxe --> Motorola V8160 (Verizon) --> Blackberry 957 (Cingular w/ GoodLink) --> PalmOne Treo 600 (TMobile w/ GoodLink) --> Treo 650 (Unlocked GSM on TMobile) with HBH-662 BT Headset --> Treo 700 w/x (Sprint) with iGuidance V3 / GlobalSat BT-359W GPS
    got treo600 in april and listened some mp3 songs on a 256m card. the sound is good. then in Jun, i bought an iPod (a friend of mine gave me some birthday $$ for iPod.. yeah!!) and i love the iPod. I use it at home and on the road a lot. I use Treo600 for PDA and Phone even thought it can play mp3 songs.
    i love both.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjoec
    I've always felt that sound quality is more a question of how your library is encoded than which device you use to listen to it. Lots of people buy 40 GB iPods and $300 Bose headphones, only to play 128k Mp3s or worse.
    This is so true! What difference does it make it the MP3 is of poor quality.
    ... although 160kbit/sec MP3 can sound great, if it's properly encoded.

Thanks,
    Peter
    Quote Originally Posted by JudBaird
    Treo Rat (or anyone in the know),
    did you mean that you manually adjusted the Pocket Tunes eq settings to replicate your settings on the ipod,Thanks.
    Yes, and for me the iTunes/iPod "Dance" eq settings give me the best sound quality and volume.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    Yes, and for me the iTunes/iPod "Dance" eq settings give me the best sound quality and volume.

Thanks. I'll give it a whirl.
    SONY Z100 (Sprint) --> Motorola StarTac 7868 (Sprint) --> Handspring Visor Deluxe --> Motorola V8160 (Verizon) --> Blackberry 957 (Cingular w/ GoodLink) --> PalmOne Treo 600 (TMobile w/ GoodLink) --> Treo 650 (Unlocked GSM on TMobile) with HBH-662 BT Headset --> Treo 700 w/x (Sprint) with iGuidance V3 / GlobalSat BT-359W GPS
    To say they sound the same on each device isn't quite true. I've been through my fair share of mp3 players, and I currently use my Treo 600 as my full time mp3 player. Devices are built differently, with different components.. specificly the Digital to Analog converter inside that actualy produces the sound. When compaing a no eq'ed same mp3 from my treo to my Archos - the Archos is better. Plus pocket tunes really slows things down.

Again, I currently only listen to mp3s on my treo, but I know there are better ways if you want to carry and pay for them.
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
    why an ipod? have you considered many of the high capacity mp3 player alternatives? did you look at the Rio Karma? the ipod is put to shame by this thing. also consider the shortcomings of the ipod before you purchase one. if i were you, and i have read a LOT about mp3 players (and settled on a flash mp3 player btw because it has absolutely 0 skip ), i would go for the rio karma and leave the ipod for some non-tech savvy yuppie
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tragic fire on Monday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one...

As an iPod owner and even though I use my Treo to listen to music more often nowadays (because it's convenient), there is no way that I would give up my iPod. Why? Because it's the best musicplayer there is and most of all it's an iPod!!!!
    i beg to differ. better music players - off the top of my head - the Rio Karma.

as a drive for your powerbook - maybe not
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tragic fire on Monday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one...
    It depends on how much you need the functionality of the Treo. I have a treo 600 with a 1gb SD. I have thought about buying a ipod, but do not want to carry around multiple devices. At one point when I was traveling a lot for works, I had a cell phone, mp3 player, and palm pilot. The treo consolidates all three devices for me. The quality is dependent on how you encode them.
    Hello,
    I want to use my Treo as an mp3 player, but don't know where to start. Do I have to download pockettunes to the phone? Then do all the songs have to be in mp3 format somehow?
    Thanks!
    Gladys
    the ipod gives you an interface that you dont even have to look at, you can be working out, and adjust the volume, change controls without taking the ipod off your belt, you can't do that with pocket tunes, you have to stop what you are doing and then grab the Treo look at the screen, fiddle around, then resume.

the ipod gives you really fast transfer times, not only for music but for data too. I use the ipod as a way to shuttle 2-3 GB of data that I am working with from home to work, and it takes less than 5 min transfer time. With a Treo USB cable that would take hours. You can get a USB2 card reader which can improve this problem, but still the limitations of data transfer on the SD card would never allow you to transfer at near the speed of the ipod.

So if you are not already spoiled using the ipod, carrying and transferring large amounts of music or data, easily accessing songs with the controls, then you don't know what you are missing and naturally I could understand you do not see the need for an ipod.
    I bought my Treo so that I wouldn't have to carry around multiple devices. You can find a better camera (for sure!), a better phone, a better MP3 player and a better PalmOS device. But, the Treo does all of these things and I only have to carry one device -- isn't that the point? Shall we debate the PalmOS performance of the Treo vs the latest Tungsten's?

Re: differences in sound quality, I wonder just how important this is for a portable device. Minor differences may not be a big deal since, after all, you are not sitting in front of your home stereo listening in Hi Fidelity, but are on the go and listening through headphones - often in a noisy environment...

Last, since most of my music is still on CDs, I can't imagine sitting in front of my computer for hours on end converting 40Gb of MP3s. After only 512Mb worth, I had just about enough of that!

Just my $.02,
    Mike
    Last edited by work2fish; 10/06/2004 at 09:15 AM.
    sound quality is not the main issue here
    By: cellmatrix at Yesterday 08:15

actually sound quality is what the topic here. check the title
    visor deluxe->clie n760->treo 300->treo 600->treo 650 -> treo 700p -> treo 755p