1.    #1  
    Is there some way to tell what carrier I am roaming on when I am not in a Sprint service area? The reason I wonder about this is that I was just vacationing on the border of VT and Quebec, and it occurred to me that I just might be picking up a cell from a Canadian service provider, which I assume might cost me an arm and a leg in roaming charges (I am not sure if that would be covered under Sprint's Roam America or whatever they call their $5 per month program where if you pay the fee you don't get hit with roaming fees).
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    I am not a sprint person, but on GSM phones, the carrier I am on is displayed in the upper left hand corner of the screen. If you want to be sure with Sprint, I would call them to be safe.

Rob
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Normally, if you just dial a completely incorrect number and hit send, it will give you an error msg from the carrier you're on. And no, the CDMA Treos don't specify which carrier you're roaming on in the upper left corner; only that you are roaming digital or analog.
  4.    #4  
    The Sprint phone just shows "Roaming" in the left corner. I have a Samsung flip-phone that runs on AT&T Wireless, and you can go to the Network menu option and drill down and it will show you what networks it senses are available. I couldn't find anything like that on the Treo.

Taking a more low tech approach, is there some standard phone number I could call that would identify the carrier (eg. if I dial 611 on a cell phone does it always go to the carrier and they would likely identify themselves)? What about dialing 0 for operator.

As you can tell, I'm now home in Sprint land and so I can't test these ideas out...should have tried it while I was in VT.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by cryogenic
    Normally, if you just dial a completely incorrect number and hit send, it will give you an error msg from the carrier you're on. And no, the CDMA Treos don't specify which carrier you're roaming on in the upper left corner; only that you are roaming digital or analog.
    Just what I was thinking when I posted the question at the exact same time you answered it!
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Chances are in VT, you were on US Cellular. If you were on a canadian tower, you would have been on Bell Canada, which I believe runs on 1900Mhz. You can dial ##33284 (DEBUG) and look at what SID you're on. If the SID is over 4000, you're on a US PCS carrier. I'm not sure what the SID is for USCC Vermont, but they're an 800Mhz carrier and they've been around for awhile, so I'd say it's under 500. You *may* also roam on Verizon, but Sprint seems to like to roam on US Cellular (they do in my area before roaming on Verizon). Also, if I remember correctly, Canadian carriers SIDS start at like 6000 or something. I know they're higher numbered than ours are.
  7.    #7  
    I think they called it Unicell, which I think is what US Cellular became. That was the carrier I assumed I was on, although someone with a Unicell phone wasn't getting as good a signal (by far) as I was getting so that's what started me wondering.

Thanks for the technical insight!