1.    #1  
    These questions are for experienced IMAP users...

1. Is it possible to have "roles/identities/personalities" using any Treo email client? Can I write or respond as "jay@blue.com" and also "bluejay@blue.com" ?

2. Is it possible to connect to multiple IMAP accounts?
    I can only speak for Chatter...

1) No, not at the moment, but there are plans to implement it.

2) Yes, Chatter can be connected to up to 8 different IMAP accounts at any time (i.e. online, pushed accounts).

There will be an open beta of Chatter Email 1.0 in about a week.

Marc
    1. if you mean switching the "from" on the fly (you get a message from one account and when you reply you want to send it from another), yes you can do this in snapper.

2. i know of know limits to the amount of account you can have in snapper. I have 10 accounts I currently check. Snapper doesn't currently do push.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  4.    #4  
    Since originally posting last week, I have since purchased the Verizon Treo 600. I am a hard-core IMAPper, using Mulberry and PC-Pine for years. I personally do not understand why anyone bothers with POP, and in my experience you really can't "convince" a POP person why IMAP is better per-se. They just have to try it on their own for a few days and "bingo" it suddenly makes sense to them the whole server side model. Especially if they drop their laptop and lose everything except their server side email. So it goes without saying that I'm a huge IMAP fan.

I have been using SnapperMail Beta 2.x these passed 6 days but am finding that SnapperMail is just waaaay too slow. I don't know if they have implemented the IMAP protocol incorrectly or not, I don't know if the issue has to do with the way the devices connect to the 3G network, but as-is it's just too slow to make me happy. The constant connecting, securing, etc.. just makes it feel really slow. I know on my desktop PCs I can perform a Check Mail operation in Mulberry & Pine (Ctrl-L) in less than 2 seconds and instantly see my new mail headers And if connected by dialup modem, the speed is less but a similar performance 'effort' is there-- it happens real fast. I am under the impression, that with some added and understandable latency, VZW data speeds should exceed classic 33.6 dialup modems. Why is SnapperMail painful in comparison. And why is it when you tag a msg for full content it doesn't automatically begin downloading. And also why when it sends it literally locks up the device until the send is completed.

Somehow, Blackberry devices, when used in a system with the Blackberry Enterprise Connector, automagically download every piece of email quickly, and send in the background. The email appears to come in in "real time" yet the battery life on a Blackberry is very good. If I set SnapperMail to poll even just every 5 minutes the battery drain is substantive. If I ask for the rest of the email on the Blackberry, it goes and gets it immediately. Blackberry also saves my sent mail to a server side folder.

So now I am looking for the magic combination of
    --real time inbound email into one or more folders
    --mirrored activities with my imap email accounts (if I delete on device, then delete on server; if I reply from device, update on server and device to show I replied)
    --background receiving and sending
    --when tagging an email for more, 'get it now'
    --email identities (not just separate accounts, but the ability to be both bluejay@blah.com and sparrow@blah.com from the same account)
    --battery life commensurate with the Blackberry
    --saving sent mail to a server side folder of my choosing (ie: "SentIMAP" instead of generic "Sent")

Of the available solutions, VZW wireless synch, SnapperMai, Chatter... or whatever else, does anything come close to the above? I wish there was a way to mimic Blackberry-like behavior on the Treo. I am also of the opinion that since Blackberry is pretty much proprietary for Exchange, rock solid A+ 100% support of IMAP is critical for the Treo and other PDAs.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an existing or soon to be available solution that meets the above criteria (or at least comes close)?
    Last edited by Sketchmaster; 08/10/2004 at 09:37 AM.
    Hi,

I have been using Snapper since I had my T300. I have recently started using IMAP and also Chatter. I will tell you that Chatter is the closest to the BB. I still use both products, since Snapper handles attachments, but Chatter has quickly become my daily email program.
    Having IMAP on my Treo would be great, but it wasn't available in the past, so I chose SnapperMail. I have my regular account set up to use IMAP and that way I can check email from any of my 7 computers almost transparently. I say "almost" because I still haven't set up LDAP for addresses so I can access those from anywhere, so the address books are pretty incomple on some machines.

I couldn't get decent performace by having SnapperMail (or Eudora Mail for Palm OS) check my regular account (using secure POP3), so I set things up to forward all of my inbox email to another account on my server. With my settings in SnapperMail set to download about 20kB, and then delete once downloaded, I have it taking about 7 or 8 seconds to check for new mail when there is no new mail to download. That makes checking for email every 15 minutes not consume much battery power. I just wish SnapperMail would do mail checks in the background.

It would be nice if SnapperMail would handle IMAP in the background, but I tried the recent beta and it was way too slow and doesn't do it in the background anyway.

I tried Chatter for a very, very short test and I didn't really like the totally IM view of the world that it has. Sometimes I just want a list of messages, but I wasn't able to get that. And I thought they weren't handing out IM accounts, so I deleted Chatter. A day or two later I got my Chatter IM account info. I suppose I should try it again.

So, right now I am pretty happy with my setup using SnapperMail. While it isn't perfect, it gets the job done, and is a very nice well supported app. I doubt that I will move to SnapperMail 2.0 unless they solve the speed and backgrounding problems. I don't really need the other new features, and I don't need IMAP that badly on my Treo.

-Sim

NoisyGecko
    WRT Verizon Wireless Sync, I can tell you that all it does for IMAP accounts is to provide a POP-like experience, i.e. INBOX support only. It's useful for getting minimal service from IMAP servers that don't provide POP3 as an alternative access method, but you'll have to look elsewhere for a Mulberry-like experience.
    I agree about the Snapper beta being much too slow to be usable for IMAP. Perhaps that will be fixed in the production version.
    Quote Originally Posted by noisygecko
    Having IMAP on my Treo would be great, but it wasn't available in the past, so I chose SnapperMail. I have my regular account set up to use IMAP and that way I can check email from any of my 7 computers almost transparently. I say "almost" because I still haven't set up LDAP for addresses so I can access those from anywhere, so the address books are pretty incomple on some machines.

I couldn't get decent performace by having SnapperMail (or Eudora Mail for Palm OS) check my regular account (using secure POP3), so I set things up to forward all of my inbox email to another account on my server. With my settings in SnapperMail set to download about 20kB, and then delete once downloaded, I have it taking about 7 or 8 seconds to check for new mail when there is no new mail to download. That makes checking for email every 15 minutes not consume much battery power. I just wish SnapperMail would do mail checks in the background.

It would be nice if SnapperMail would handle IMAP in the background, but I tried the recent beta and it was way too slow and doesn't do it in the background anyway.

I tried Chatter for a very, very short test and I didn't really like the totally IM view of the world that it has. Sometimes I just want a list of messages, but I wasn't able to get that. And I thought they weren't handing out IM accounts, so I deleted Chatter. A day or two later I got my Chatter IM account info. I suppose I should try it again.

So, right now I am pretty happy with my setup using SnapperMail. While it isn't perfect, it gets the job done, and is a very nice well supported app. I doubt that I will move to SnapperMail 2.0 unless they solve the speed and backgrounding problems. I don't really need the other new features, and I don't need IMAP that badly on my Treo.

-Sim
    I kind of did the same thing. I tried Chatter, deleted it and went back to it. You'll probably find the newer version that will be coming out more to your liking (I found the test versions more to my liking). It took me a bit to get used to the IM portion. It is different. I have Verichat that I will keep until my subscription is up. I figured that there were only certain people that I would want to IM me with the phone so I use a "business" IM name on my phone that has only a few people.