1.    #1  
    I recently found this app called Palm Server

http://software.palmone.com/Platform...Id=0&catalog=1

it seems to work on my Palm OS5/Treo 600, apparently it is a http server.
    I am unable to contact the developer.
    The ReadMe states that you are to create a category called 'HTML' in memopad, in which you are to store a html document. SImple enough, yet that you are also to somehow Re-Name the individual memo to a .html file extension. I dont understand how this would be possible to do as all memos are contained in the memopad .pdb file so?
    I can file link a .txt file from HotSync or Palm Desktop, I even tried with Filez, and Teal Mover to try changing extensions but I dont see how this would be possible to Re-Name the file extension , the program seems to run ok but I cant access anything by simply typing in the Ip in a desktop web browser etc.
    From the ReadME:
    The server's root document directory is a MemoPad category
    named 'HTML' that you need to create. I imagine that the
    next version of PalmServer will automatically create the
    'HTML' category along with some default HTML pages, but
    until then you have to do all the work. One note, I suggest
    that you use the Pilot Desktop to create the HTML files, that
    will save you some time.

PalmServer can only display a document of up to 4096
    characters, this is due to the fact that the MemoPad
    field size, by default, is limited to 4096 characters.
    It has been suggested that the next version of PalmServer
    support DOC database files (.pdb format), so this would
    allow HTML files to be as large as available memory.
    The URL for any Pilot running PalmServer should be in the
    following format:
    http://your.localIP.address/anyfile.html
    For example, if you have a HTML file named index.html in your
    MemoPad 'HTML' category and your local IP address is
    123.456.789 (I know its not a vaild IP) then the URL to the
    file is:
    http://123.456.789/index.html
    Pretty simple.

Requirements:

* PalmPilot Professional
    * Palm OS 2.0 or above
    * TCP/IP access, either through RAS or PPP
    * 'HTML' category in MemoPad

SO any ideas as to how this could work or any developers wishing to think of something like this app? The ip i get on my Sprint/Treo600 appears to be static as well, so the idea that you could serve webpages directly from your Treo or even a page containing images or midi ringtones, mp3's from the card etc. this would be very neat.
    ANy thoughts?
    I don't know much about it, but since the Data connection isn't always connected that it wouldn't work all the time.
    You would have to start a data connection then whoever could connect to your server. Then if there was a period of inactivity the connection would shut down again.
    I imagine this would also be hell on your battery.
    I don't really see much of a point in this anyway. It's got to be easier to find a real hosting service and put whatever you want to host up there.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, I found out from a another forum , Palm can act as server yet it would drain resources. Palm bad 4 multitasking. BUT the idea is coo-
    Having a web page hosted from your pocket, instantaneous modification etc. Oh ya btw my Treo w/Sprint can stay on 24/7 with Vision , an the Ip appears static 2.
    I'd love to have a web server on the Treo. Did some research (when the web cam software was released) and found http://httpdpalm.sourceforge.net/, but it doesn't work for me (on the Treo)...

There was also a very promising one I found that turned out to be an April Fool's Joke.

I'm trying PalmServer now, I think my have tried it already myself... Yup, I recognize it now. Create a memo CATEGORY called HTML. Then create a memo with the first line as index.html. Then the rest of the memo would be your actual html code... But, it doesn't work for me, in fact once it starts up (and doesn't accept connections) it locks my Treo...

UPDATE: It didn't lock up the Treo, just made it very unresponsive...
    Last edited by dune; 08/02/2004 at 02:56 PM.
  5.    #5  
    Ya , dont mean to give folks a link to app that will mess up there Palm, in fact I to found and tried http and it wouldnt work on my Treo600 .
    Palm server did work ,but it did cause it to lock up a bit. I couldnt access the html file though from my desktop using IE though.
    I guess maybe you could use one of the Palm FTP clients to upload a html doc somehow to the web, dunno.
    Here is what info a developer offerred me recently regarding something like this.

Yes, the Palm can act as a webserver, but because of the bad support of multithreading/multitasking on PalmOS, it is awful to write such a program and it often results in multitasking problems (most of the time the application is stuck in an infinite loop, sucking the batteries, and in most cases you can only soft reset your device to quit).
    The PalmOS makes the development of server applications very difficult. I guess the best thing to do would be to develop some kind of centralized server on a public desktop machine... Like: when you launch the application, the palm sends the list (just the list) of your shared files to a central server, and you can browse the list of files other people online have... And all the exchanges are centralized by the server (just like a chat client except that messages would be portions of binary files). Something like this is not too difficult to implement
    umm...why would you want to use your Treo as a web server? It would be terribly slow (and expensive). I doubt more than 1 or 2 people at a time could connect to it. Is this a solution for a problem that doesn't exist? ;-)
    You can always use your palm to upload changes to a blog or something running on a real server - via http or eamil - would just require a few moments when the doco changes to push the changes to the webserver where they would be served from..
    .no sig.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike
    umm...why would you want to use your Treo as a web server? It would be terribly slow (and expensive). I doubt more than 1 or 2 people at a time could connect to it. Is this a solution for a problem that doesn't exist? ;-)
    One of those because I can features.
    I use PokeServer. It works well BUT...if you have Sprint you're behind a firewall so you can't hit your device IP address from the web. You'll be better off if you have TMo. Not sure about Verizon/ATT/Cingular.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Oh, forgot the instructions
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by gkaatz
    I use PokeServer. It works well BUT...if you have Sprint you're behind a firewall so you can't hit your device IP address from the web. You'll be better off if you have TMo. Not sure about Verizon/ATT/Cingular.
    I use T-Mobile VPN and I can't seem to reach my IP number from the outside world (not even PING). I realize this isn't the application's problem, but you seemed to imply that you use T-Mobile. How do you do it?
    Try going to www.whatismyip.com via Blazer. Use the IP that it shows.

I haven't tried doing this with TMo since I traded up to the T600 from my T180 in October so it is possible things changed. I also didn't use the VPN connectin but from what I understand that should work better.
    whatismyip.com shows the same IP that PokeServer is showing and it's not reachable. I know that I used to be able to ping my IP address before but there must have been some change to TMO's setup such that even with the VPN service things somehow have to be initiated from the client.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by gkaatz
    Hey thanks for the info about PokeServer, I do use Sprint and didnt realize
    that PCS Vision is behind a firewall, this must be the reason why I was unable to access any HTML document from my PALM using PALM Server.
    As to why I wanted to see if a Palm could act as a server.
    'umm...' I guess I thought the idea of serving a HTML page from my pocket would be what the kids today refer to as 'cool'. BUt the Palm isnt a PC.
    I guess I thought the idea of serving a HTML page from my pocket would be what the kids today refer to as 'cool'. BUt the Palm isnt a PC.
    Cool...or amazingly GEEKY!
  16.    #16  
    Its'all subjective really.
    So has anyone successfully done this recently?

How about on Sprint? Do any of the programs let you choose your own port?

Well I'm both so I'd like to try this out.
    I don't see a real point in hosting web server on a Treo. Think of this:
    What if you turn off wireless mode and the web site is gone ?
    How much memory do you want to dedicate out of 16MB (or less available), just to be "cool"? Isn't it better used for not so "cool" applications?
    Wouldn't the bandwidth be better used for other purposes?
    How about losing phone calls while your "cool" server is being accessed?
    How secure is such server - what if it was easy to hack it and download all your contacts?
    Did you use Profeo today ?
    Hmmm...the link to palm server doesn't seem to work anymore? Anyone find another link to that app?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions