1.    #1  
    I am trying to install the PC Monitor function in Wireless Sync on my Verizon Treo 600 and get an error message that says, "Unable to locate MAPI dlls. Please ensure that Outlook is your default mail client. This may be verified by clicking on Internet Options in Control Panel and selecting the Programs tab."

Naturally, I did checked in control panel and Outlook is specified as my default mail client.

I am holding on the phone for tech support (it has been 58 minutes so far...) for help but it looks as they are swamped with callers.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem would be appreciated.
    you might also want to check and see if the MAPI spooler process is running - do a quick CTL-ALT-DEL, click on 'Processes' to see if you can see something like MAPIsp.exe or something like that. As you may know, MAPI is the protocol that other apps use to 'hook into' Outlook. It stands for Messaging Application Protocol Interface. Check it out and see if you see that process - MAPI should run every time Outlook runs. And in your specific instance, the DLL files for MAPI may not be able to be located by the WS app. I don't know what to tell you after that....good luck.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply.

I did eventually get through to tech support. I was told that if I'm not running Exchange Server I don't have to install PC Monitor.

The tech also mentioned that wireless sync retrieves mail every 15 minutes. It doesn't seem to push it at that interval however.
    I've been running it for a while now and it can push at as little as every 10 minutes. However, it won't push when some programs are active even when the phone is "off". I'm still trying to figure out which programs need to be inactive to ensure it will sync on schedule.

Even after pouring through all of the documentation (PDF docs from the Help tab on the web) and FAQs, it is not trival to get this configured and running if you have trouble.
    Folks,

I think Verizon users can join the Seven beta program and use this "push" e-mail solution that Sprint provides as "Sprint Business Connection".

This may or may not be a better solution than the intellisync one, but it pushes e-mail pretty much in real time by using a combination of SMS and online access.

Glenn
  6. dls
    Quote Originally Posted by salty
    I am trying to install the PC Monitor function in Wireless Sync on my Verizon Treo 600 and get an error message that says, "Unable to locate MAPI dlls. Please ensure that Outlook is your default mail client. This may be verified by clicking on Internet Options in Control Panel and selecting the Programs tab."

Naturally, I did checked in control panel and Outlook is specified as my default mail client.

I am holding on the phone for tech support (it has been 58 minutes so far...) for help but it looks as they are swamped with callers.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem would be appreciated.

Just bought the Treo 600 from Verizon and today I had the very same problem / error message / etc. Guess I was lucky since I was on hold for only 40 minutes.

Essentially, the Verizon tech rep told me that Pop 3 (I use ATT.Net) is not yet supported. She said that there is a "work around" but, if I chose to use it, I would lose my ability to sync with Outlook (contacts, calendar, etc.) wireless or otherwise. Since this is crucial to me, the "work around" is not a viable option. She then said that until Pop 3 is fully supported, they are "unofficially" recommending Snapper Mail.

Has anyone else else encountered the same response and knows whether or not it is valid?
  7.    #7  
    I'm now having problems with email pushes. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I've soft and hard reset the 600, reinstalled the hotsync and wireless sync programs and still have this problem.

Now the first entry in my Wireless Sync log say, "Unexpected failure detected: ServerException"

Maybe I should try Snapper Mail.
    Quote Originally Posted by dls
    Essentially, the Verizon tech rep told me that Pop 3 (I use ATT.Net) is not yet supported. She said that there is a "work around" but, if I chose to use it, I would lose my ability to sync with Outlook (contacts, calendar, etc.) wireless or otherwise. Since this is crucial to me, the "work around" is not a viable option. She then said that until Pop 3 is fully supported, they are "unofficially" recommending Snapper Mail.

Has anyone else else encountered the same response and knows whether or not it is valid?
    Pop3 worked fine for Yahoo and Earthlink definitions. It didn't work for BudgetDialup. Other ISPs have problems as well, I hear. VZW claims the problem resides with the ISP.

Since Wireless Sync syncs EVERYTHING, personal Pop3 mail is pushed to the corporate mailserver. Not good. I chose to limit Wireless Sync to corporate (Domino/Notes) mail and use Snappermail for Pop3 mail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    Since Wireless Sync syncs EVERYTHING, personal Pop3 mail is pushed to the corporate mailserver. Not good. I chose to limit Wireless Sync to corporate (Domino/Notes) mail and use Snappermail for Pop3 mail.
    Maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean, but the personal POP3 e-mail is not pushed to the corporate mailserver if by corporate mailserver you mean your desktop computer where the WS redirector is running.

I have the WS redirector installed on my office PC which connects to our MS Exchange 5.5 server. I also have WS configured to retrieve my POP3 e-mail from my personal e-mail account.

When my personal POP3 e-mail is received, it is displayed on the WS web interface and it is displayed on my Treo 600, but the POP3 e-mail does NOT show up on my desktop at work. It's not supposed to and fortunately it doesn't.

EDIT: - Hmmm..... maybe I'm 100% dead wrong on this (wouldn't be the first time ). Something just caught my eye on my e-mail. Gotta look into this. Hmmm...

FINAL EDIT: Nope. I checked. E-mail from my personal E-mail account does not show up on my corporate e-mail. Yes, it will show up on the Treo and on the web view for WS. But that's all. Good!
    Last edited by SteveNYC; 08/06/2004 at 11:49 PM.
    This error and the can't find address book error stem from not having outlook pointed to an exchange server. The PC monitor will only work in conjunction with an exchange server... this is the official word from verizon as of last night (and no it dose not fully make sense to me but this is their story now and they are sticking to it. So, no exchange server, no wireless sync of outlook data, only pop and imap mail from their server to the treo.