1.    #1  
    Jeff Hawkins, the man who created the PalmPilot, Treo smart phone, and other handheld devices, has reshaped our relationship to computers. Now he stands ready to revolutionize both neuroscience and computing in one stroke, with a new understanding of intelligence itself.
    This, my friends, is what happens when someone has too much money.

Coming to video stores near you soon...Hawkins: The Director's Cut, featuring the explosive encounter with Jake of JakeEJeans fame.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Neuroscience, and the research into how the brain really works, what thinking is at the biological level is his primary interest. This stuff, inventing the Palm Pilot, hot sync, Treo etc. really is just a sideline.
  3.    #3  
    I should be careful what I say here because I personally am not one who gets caught up in the idea of needing to have a "degree" in anything just to be well educated on that subject. For example, I'm passionate about usability but have no formal training in the subject (of course, when I was in college, I'm not sure that there was any formal training on that subject). Still, Hawkins is coming across here as an expert in neuroscience but he has no degree, formal training, or on-the-job experience in that subject, does he?

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    That he is the Director of the Redwood Neuroscience Institute. I guess that doesn't qualify him much, though.

But then, I don't think he has a degree in Consumer Electronics Business, but I think he might be qualified in that, too.
    I work in the field of neuroscience. His ideas are welcome since we know so little about the workings of the human brain. Hawkins is providing some original thinking that may well lead to theories that propel the field forward. I have heard some of his ideas and I can tell you they reflect an incredible amount of information integration on his part (he is no *****!) History suggests that strides in such nascent fields are often made by theorists that have the ability to actively question conventional wisdom. Some may see him as grandiose. I say bring it on! Hawkins seems the kind of guy that's relishing the opportunity to challenge current thinking. Jeff, if you're reading this ... thank you.
    lol. having a degree isnt what gives people the ability to use original thought in a particular field of science. hell, im sure there are phD's in the field who couldnt hold a candle to the accomplishments or track record or jeff hawkins!!
    im sure you could rifle through history to find numerous geniuses who achieved greatness in particular fields yet never held degrees in them. im sire youd be surprised!
    degrees are licenses - thats all - they dont guarantee someone's potential or capacity for innovative and creative thought.
    neuroscience needs jeff hawkins as much as mobile computing does. what a magnificent capability it is to be able to influence both worlds so dramatically! thankyou, jeff hawkins!
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I do not think he has gone loco at all. Remember the palm pilot was the initial attempt of putting something that resembles a human assistant into your pocket (PDA). However, its more like something that you manually input your future plans , and at best, it can remind you to do it via an alarm. In reality, a truly great assistant will learn to know your likes and dislikes and be one step ahead of you in terms of adding convenience to your life. That person would know whether to put an important call through to you, yet tell another caller (who you may deem as not so important) that you are "in a meeting." If you want a computer (let alone a handheld) to replace that person that can make such intelligent predictions of your actions and thought pattern , the next step is attempting to understand the brain and cognitive processes (hence, the term Artificial Intelligence). In my opinion, the palm pilot was just the first step of Hawkin's big picture vision for handheld computing. I remember reading about his Redwood Institute quite some time ago. So, this book is not something out of the blue. Additionally, he is not alone in his pursuits. Paul Allen also has a neuroscience institute and a prototype handheld (I believe it is called the flipstart pc).
    If Hawkins is an inspired genius because he had enough money to dabble in something in a big way (even though he couldn't hack graduate school) then this guy, competing directly with him and dabbling with TWO orders of magnitude more money, is God:

-- http://www.brainatlas.org/default.asp
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    If Hawkins is an inspired genius because he had enough money to dabble in something in a big way (even though he couldn't hack graduate school) then this guy, competing directly with him and dabbling with TWO orders of magnitude more money, is God:

-- http://www.brainatlas.org/default.asp
    And Bill Gates couldn't even hack undergraduate....
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    And Bill Gates couldn't even hack undergraduate....
    Quite true - the rich don't need school to help earn a silver spoon.

Shall we discuss Donald Trump now?
    Who's JakeeJeans and why is he famous?
    Donald Trump has an MBA, and his wealth is built on a house of cards.

While we are at it, let's add Michael Dell to your "too stupid to finish college" list.
    ...the fact that anybody who spends a majority of their day thinking is probably qualified to talk about the thinking process.

Hawkins has proven to be a genious (at least a little more genious than the average joe you meet at the tractor pull), and as such, I welcome any insights he may have into what constitutes intelegence and thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by dell
    Neuroscience, and the research into how the brain really works, what thinking is at the biological level is his primary interest. This stuff, inventing the Palm Pilot, hot sync, Treo etc. really is just a sideline.
    oh please, the guy can't even make BT work and he want to figure out how the brian work.
    this talk about educational qualifications reminds me of the scene in Good Will Hunting when Robin Williams and that math professor guy were in the bar talking about maximizing your potential - 'do you know about the postal inspector in Austria who revolutioned quantum physics in his spare time (Einstein)'? And 'yeah, what about the guy who graduated Berkeley, post doc somewhere else, and then had a bang up time?' (Kaczynski) . So what will be Hawkins' legacy? e=mc2, or Unabomber?
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderman
    Who's JakeeJeans and why is he famous?
    Search on "Bullet Train" on this forum. Make sure you set some time aside for reading the threads and please don't forget to read Jake's articles. I keep good memories of these TC days - it was a fun time and Jake was one of the funniest TC members I can remember.

Amen.
    what happened to jake? did he go unabomber?

mol, whaddya say?
    i have to laugh at seldom's bark about the rich and the sliver spoons. lol.

quite amusing. ya know i will put money down on the bet that he is an absolute STAUNCH republican supporter of a one george w bush.

i
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    what happened to jake? did he go unabomber?

mol, whaddya say?
    I reckon Jeff turned around and hired him. Watch for the Bullet Train on the Ace!
    This doesn't sound the least bit flaky: http://www.rni.org/history.html plus, as the link on the left shows, affiliated with UC Berkeley which ain't chopped liver.