1.    #1  
    I got a Verizon T600 on Wednesday afternoon. Yesterday (Thursday) I had one reboot and three lockups (had to put the pin in the little hole). The crashes happened with doing ordinary things: changing a preference, selecting the web app, etc. I hadn't installed _anything_ and in fact hadn't loaded anything into calendar, address book etc. I'd only used it as a telephone so far.

I took it back this morning for a replacement. Verizon was happy to do so (comes tomorrow) but the guy there commented that I was the first person to have a problem.

Reading the boards people talk casually about having to reboot -- but of course who would start a thread with the subject "all is well"?

So: is my experience typical? Should I not have bothered to returned it? Am I likely to have the same problem with my replacement unit?
    With no new software installed, those crashes don't sound good at all.

But WITH software installed, I've been getting some occasional crashes. I attribute these to poor programming really. For example, downloading an adobe pdf straight from the web using blazer causes my Treo to restart when I click "accept document into adobe reader." After the reset, the document isn't reported as being downloaded, even though the download did technically complete! Whatever... I think this is cause by adobe and not my own hardware.

I bet that doesn't help much... just venting that's all.
    gumby, no its not common for resets to happen like that. An exception would be, for example, back when Sprint had something wrong with their SMS it would reset when you received an SMS (fixed a long time ago). I personally have a TON of software installed and NO resets except for the expected ones when testing beta software.

CmdrGuard, Adobe can't read pdf's straight off the web, and would explain the crash. You need to downloaded it to your desktop and convert it using the conduit. Alternatively you could use some online service such as Google to convert it to html.
    Last edited by ThirdType; 07/30/2004 at 05:53 PM.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    I get an involuntary soft reset maybe 1x a week and the last involuntary hard reset I had was months ago. Stability was an issue until I loaded the latest firmware and dumped some of the apps that run in the background. Still, with Chatter, VC, SM, and pTunes, all is well.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    yeah, that's not normal. I have a fair amount of 3rd party software loaded and I get probably less than one soft reset/hangup per month.
    With no 3rd party stuff installed, you really shouldn't have any.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I have to soft reset about once a week... Considering I have about a gazillion third party apps installed, it doesn't bother me, because I have to reset my PC more often than that....
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    No resets ever. Except with whacky software. I've had my Treo 600 for a loooong time now. I have a fairly large number of apps installed. Haven't had to reset since the last time I played around with some crap-*** software. AND MY CAMERA WORKS GREAT, DURNIT! See my sig! :-)
    No. They are not common at all.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    In my situation, as a very early buyer, when I first obtained the Treo 600, resets were not that uncommon when running new applications written specifically for the Treo 600. The regular or older programs were basically no problem. Now that developers have "mastered" resets happen infrequently. I have gone as long as two weeks with no resets with programs that at one time had problems. Ben
    Hmmn interesting post. I get at least 3 to 4 involuntary resets a day. The resets are more frequent after the update to 1.20 Sprint. For those here who get very few resets: who is your provider? My most common resets are from these apps:

Mail
    SMS
    Phone
    Web

I think I have a flaky refurb. gotta bring it into a Sprint store and make them give me a new one.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    Hmmn interesting post. I get at least 3 to 4 involuntary resets a day. The resets are more frequent after the update to 1.20 Sprint. For those here who get very few resets: who is your provider? My most common resets are from these apps:

Mail
    SMS
    Phone
    Web

I think I have a flaky refurb. gotta bring it into a Sprint store and make them give me a new one.
    I'm with Sprint, and the 1.20 update didn't change a thing in terms of stability. I'd definitely bring yours back and get a new one, that's not normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    I'm with Sprint, and the 1.20 update didn't change a thing in terms of stability. I'd definitely bring yours back and get a new one, that's not normal.
    DITTO here.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    None in the list have caused any resets on mine. Ben
    I get resets every few days but usually they can be attributed to 3rd party software. The T600 is relatively stable as far as smartphones go, IMO.
    I have a sprint treo converted to verizon and my treo resets quite a bit. It resets whenever I receive a sms. People say that the update fixes that but there are also alot of cases where trying to update breaks other things so I'm afraid to update and not sure what to do.
  16.    #16  
    Thanks for your advice, guys? Verizon replaced my treo without complaint and the new one works like a charm.

By the way, the folks in the store in fact cancelled my order, refunded my money, and placed a new order. Which sounds complicated, but basically "reset the clock" so I could go back a second time if I had problems...which fortunately I haven't! It was kind of them to think of that.