1.    #1  
    This car kit is very simple and VERY cheap to make and it utilizes all your car speakers (not just the right side or the fronts) and you can either use your phones mic or add an external mic. I chose to do the latter (it makes the audio output much louder - not sure electrically what causes this). You will need to have an AUX input or if you have a cassette player then you will need a cassette adapter. This works great when streaming shoutcast also. The only problem is it's mono but I'm fine with that considering how much I spent making this kit. I have not tried playing MP3s yet so I'm not sure if this works on not. I'm quite happy with the results however. By the way this not only works for TREO’s but any other phones with a 2.5mm headset jack. Please attempt the following at your own risk. I will not be held accountable for any damage you may cause to your phone or stereo.

Parts:
    The first 2 are all you need if you have an AUX input and would like to use your phones mic.

1. 3 ft or longer 3.5mm male to male stereo adapter.
    2. 3.5mm to 2.5mm headset adapter.
    3. (optional) Mic with either a 3.5mm or 2.5mm connector.
    4. (If you opt for a mic) 6 ft or longer 3.5mm male to 3.5mm female MONO adapter (doesn’t have to have a male connector since you will cut this off anyways)
    5. (if you have a cassette player) Cassette adapter.
    6. Soldering tool (or you can just twist the wires together) but soldering is the best way to ensure good connection.
    7. Electrical Tape (you can also use a heat shrink insulator for a cleaner look).

instructions:
    1. Cut the 3.5mm male to male stereo adapter (or cassette adapter) or you can strip about an inch offf the insulator (any section of wire).
    2. If you cut the wire, reconnect the ground (none insulated) wire(s) back together. There will be 2 other wires (red and white) leave those alone for now.
    -If you just stripped off some of the insulator then you will need to cut the red and white wires only.
    3. On the side which will plug into the AUX input or cassette player on your stereo, connect the red and the white wire together.
    4. Get the 3.5mm to 2.5mm headset adapter, plug it in to your phones headset jack and plug one of the 3.5mm male to male (or cassette adapter) you just cut into the stereo AUX or cassette and the other end in to your phone. Turn your stereo volume up and on your phone call your voicemail. You will need to do this to determine which wire you need to tap (red or white) on the side of the wire that connects to your phone. Some wires are manufactured differently in some cases so the white or the red could be the mic input which is not what you wanna tap to. Tap the (connected) red and white on the stereo side to either the red the white wire on the phone side. Once you hear the call coming out of your stereo then that is the wire you wanna connect to.
    5. At this point you pretty much almost done and can make a call using your phones microphone. Call a friend to make sure he can hear you, and that you can hear him through your car speakers.
    6. Once you have comfirmed that your cable works and do not need an external mic, then go ahead and solder and tape the wires so they’re not exposed. That’s it your done. If you want to use a mic then hold off on the soldering and taping and read on.

Optional mic: produces better mic input and louder output.
    7. Grab the 3.5mm male to female MONO cord and cut the male adapter off. There should be only 2 wires on this cord.
    8. Tap the ground (exposed wire) to the ground (exposed wire) on the cable you just made earlier.
    9. Now connect the other wire into the unconnected wire of the cable you just made (on the phone side).
    10. To test, plug your mic into the female connector of the mono wire. If your mic has a 2.5mm connector then use a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter.
    11. Make a call and make sure the other person can hear you through the mic. Tip: Tap the external mike several times and ask the other person can hear the taps.
    12. Once you have verified your mic works and you can hear the caller through your speakers, then solder and tape the wires so they’re not exposed. That’s It! ENJOY!

If anything is unclear let me know. I’ve also attached a word doc.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode
    cut the male adapter off
    Let's not get carried away, now. It may only be 3.5mm (with adapter) but it's all I've got.
    Last edited by RawsonDR; 07/30/2004 at 05:53 PM.
    Much better solution is to get the attenuation headphone cord from radio shack. Attach the 3.5 to 2.5 adapter to the treo and the cord. Insert into your aux or tape adaptor. Works perfect!!

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=42-2559
  4.    #4  
    I was referring to the 3.5mm FEMALE to 3.5mm male cable. You only need the female connector side so you can plug your mic into it. The other end needs to be soldered to the first cable (3.5 MALE to 3.5 male) you make. There's no other way to connect it without cutting the male connector off.
    Quote Originally Posted by northreal
    Much better solution is to get the attenuation headphone cord from radio shack. Attach the 3.5 to 2.5 adapter to the treo and the cord. Insert into your aux or tape adaptor. Works perfect!!

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=42-2559
    With a cassette adapter and the Treo headphone adapter, don't you have sound through your car speakers? (I don't have my headphone adapter yet, so I can't test it.) And isn't the sound controlled through the Treo's volume buttons?
    Sound can be controlled by the treo, cable, or stereo. it does work great. Just remember to keep the volume at a reasonable level and you are set.
    Quote Originally Posted by northreal
    Sound can be controlled by the treo, cable, or stereo. it does work great. Just remember to keep the volume at a reasonable level and you are set.
    Pretty inexpensive so far. The Treo's loudspeaker is almost good enough by itself. I tried its own microphone with the Treo lying on the seat beside me, say 3 ft. away, and it was a little weak. How about a cheap mike to complete the setup?