Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I really like the idea of being able to send email from the Treo, but hate that there is no record of what I sent when I look back through Outlook. Is there a way to get the Outbox to sync with Outlook 2003? I'm tired of having to send important email to the other party as well as to myself instead of just synchronizing with my computer...
    What carrier is your Treo with ?

If you are using a Sprint branded Treo, Sprint's Business Connection is a great solution.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I am using T-Mobile.

Even though I hear alot of bad things about Sprint's cutomer service I actually went to the store to try their Treo...no one ever helped me...
    You just need to set it to automatically BCC yourself a copy of sent messages. Most email apps have this option.

IIRC Outlook is smart enough to place this email in the Sent (or whatever) folder automatically. If not, you can set a filter or rule on the client or server to place the email in the correct folder.

I personally use fastmail.fm for my email and it's Sieve scripting to handle this. I set SnapperMail to BCC each sent email to bccsent@myname.fastmail.fm (replacing myname with my real address username). It also properly files eBay web-based seller question forms that I check the "send myself a copy" on (cool huh?). The portion of the script looks like this:

Code:
    if anyof
       (
          #### default method to put things in Sent folder from anywhere ####
          header :contains "X-Delivered-to" "bccsent@myname.fastmail.fm",

#### eBay web question form ####
          allof
          (
             header :contains "from"    "myebayname@fastmail.fm",
             header :regex    "subject" "^Question from eBay Member.+"
          )
       )
    {
       addflag "\\Seen";
       fileinto "INBOX.Sent Items";
       stop;
    }
    BTW you will need to add "imapflags" and maybe "regex" to the list of things in "require" at the top for this to work. For example:
    require ["blah", "blah", "regex", "imapflags"];
    Last edited by ThirdType; 07/30/2004 at 06:30 PM.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5
    I really like the idea of being able to send email from the Treo, but hate that there is no record of what I sent when I look back through Outlook. Is there a way to get the Outbox to sync with Outlook 2003? I'm tired of having to send important email to the other party as well as to myself instead of just synchronizing with my computer...
    Can you access your mailbox with IMAP? I use Aileron with IMAP4 access and it logs all of my outbound messages to the Sent Items folder. It also logs messages deleted on the server in the Deleted Items folder. Going the BCC route is painful as you end up getting a copy of every message you send out. With my current configuration, it is transparent to how the messages are sent - they are always in your sent items folder.
    Peter
    The method I described is also transparent in that all sent emails end up in the Sent Items folder, and is much more efficient. If your email client has to sync sent emails with the Sent Items folder, it basically has to send the email twice- once to the person(s) you are sending to, and again to your server's folder. Using BCC lets the SMTP server do this for you. You wouldn't want your Treo sending out messages with large attachments twice. Also, BCC even works with POP3 access.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989