Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Tricker,

You know, I'm beginning to think like you that the best use for video on the Treo is for 'short' programs. The only thing that I wish is that I could either find a) an easy way for me to copy my TiVo programs or b) to start recording TV programs on my PC with a PVR solution such as SnapStream's BeyondTV (which I am told has a built-in function to save for portable devices - presumably for MS' Portable Media Players... Palm needs to get in on the act! Pronto...

Cheers, W.
    Disclaimer: I am totally new to the world of putting video files on my Treo. I have a few comments and questions.

I used PocketDVD to convert a South Park episode from a DVD for use on my Treo and played it using MMPlayer. I've just done it once so far, and it worked on the first try and was very easy. In keeping with the South Park theme, it is Sweeet! This is the type of thing that is worth it just for the "amaze your friends and co-workers" factor, even if you'll never watch anything yourself.

I'm using MMPlayer v0.2.12p3. I just bought it so I could actually watch the video without seeing their message on the screen. I am using MMPlayer's Treo skin, which gives you a larger viewable area than the standard skins do.

Currently, the picture doesn't take up all of the available screen area - there is a black border around the picture. I want to play around with the settings to make the picture larger. If anyone has already done that, what settings did you use?

Another question, possibly a stupid one...how do you control the volume in MMPlayer? When I play the South Park recording, it's very loud and there's no way that I can see to change that in the MM software. Using the Treo's volume control just changes the ringer volume.

I also tried converting an mpg video file for use on my Treo. I've just did that once so far, too, but it worked reasonably well. I used Pocket Divx Encoder. I got a message saying the bitrate was too fast when I tried to play the video on MM (I used 15bps), but I played it anyway and it worked reasonably well. I used 160x160 and got a picture that was smaller than I'd like. (It is probably perfect for the standard MM skins, though.) I need to play around with the settings on this, too, to get a larger picture.

For anyone who hasn't tried this, the picture quality is surprisingly good. It's definitely worth trying if you're interested.
    just press up and down on the 5-way!
  4.    #24  
    Hi Sparky76,

Great to hear that you're enjoying it - I've had the same experience with the Wow! factor showing it off to people...

To answer your questions:
    1. Video size: go to Settings > Select Video Settings > Select Window Zoom 1x > Select Fullscreen Zoom 1x

2. Sound Volume: click 'Prefs' tab > Change Volume or as sgvnsxrated says uses the up-down on the 5 way

Cheers, W.
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderman
    Hi Sparky76,

Great to hear that you're enjoying it - I've had the same experience with the Wow! factor showing it off to people...

To answer your questions:
    1. Video size: go to Settings > Select Video Settings > Select Window Zoom 1x > Select Fullscreen Zoom 1x

2. Sound Volume: click 'Prefs' tab > Change Volume or as sgvnsxrated says uses the up-down on the 5 way

Cheers, W.
    On MMPlayer? The Treo600 hard buttons do the following:
    Phone - Cycles forward through zoom settings
    Calendar - Cycles backward through zoom settings
    Mail - Rotates image
    Brightness - Cycles through function 5-way up/down controls.
    5-Way Left/Right - jumps forward and backward in video

Some of the options you can set with the 5-Way up/down after first hitting the Brightness hardkey
    Pan
    Brightness
    Contrast
    A/V Sync - Great for when voices don't match the lips
    Video Position - Don't know what this one does
    Volume - Default setting
    I can attest to this software being a winning pair. Ripped an episode of Curb your Enthusiam from DVD in 12mins. Pretty decent playback quality and each 30 min episode of Curb is just shy of 20mb. Plays great on MMPlayer 2.12

Thanks Magohn
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Thank you for taking the time and trouble to create your Treo DVD for dummies :-)
    All the threads about this ability really had me baffled.
    Thanks again.
    Darlene

Save a life, spay or neuter your pet.
    i am not sure if this question has been answered and I read this entire thread. How do we convert existing .avi or .mpg files to be viewed on the treo. someone suggested Dr DivX but before I buy that, I want to be sure it works for said purposes
  10.    #30  
    Thank you darjay, it's my pleasure. I don't think that we're dummies we're just being treated as such... when will 'they' learn... ;-)

rossoneri, I know how you feel... like you it took me ages to get all the right pieces together.

To recap:
    1) you can very easily convert DVD's to avi to view on your Treo 600 using Pocket-DVD.
    2) to convert other existing avi or mpg files that you already have to view on your Treo, yes I can highly recommend DrDivX which will do this (albeit relatively slowly depending on the speed of your CPU). You can in fact convert in one of four standard avi sizes from within DrDivX - there is one setting optimized for PDA's.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, W.
    Quote Originally Posted by rossoneri
    i am not sure if this question has been answered and I read this entire thread. How do we convert existing .avi or .mpg files to be viewed on the treo. someone suggested Dr DivX but before I buy that, I want to be sure it works for said purposes
    Dr. DivX will do an awesome job, there is a free trial. Once you rip the dvd you can use Dr. DivX to compress anywhere from High Def to portable.

And if you have $70 bucks you can put divvx movies on cd and play with the new Phillips DivX compatable Progressive scan dvd player.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Dr. DivX will do an awesome job, there is a free trial. Once you rip the dvd you can use Dr. DivX to compress anywhere from High Def to portable.

And if you have $70 bucks you can put divvx movies on cd and play with the new Phillips DivX compatable Progressive scan dvd player.
    thanks for the response. i was reading other threads and i started playing with virtualdub and the mmplayer website has some tips too. i encoded a short file with dr divx but it wouldn't play on the treo 600 saying it couldn't decode in realtime even though i am pretty sure i followed all the tips on mmplayer and the other threads here. oh well, back to experimentation.

also, do you find it takes AGES to transfer movies and large mp3s via hotsync to the treo?
    Yes, I copy to card directly with a reader/writer instead. So quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Yes, I copy to card directly with a reader/writer instead. So quick.
    which memory reader/writer do u recommend? I was thinking of getting the sandisk 8 in 1 reader/writer but i don't need 8 readers!
    don't they have just a Secure Digital and Compact Flash reader? something like 2-in-1 ?
    Have that reader on my VAIO, works awesome.
    i love it. uploaded a few episodes of trailer park boys and the office works perfectly. dr divx didn't work me but virtual dub was the key.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12