Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    On their website
    Ciao

Ettore
    Thanks!
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    IMAP access is now much quicker.
    please pardon my ignorance here, but what are the differences between pop3 and imap email accounts?

is one better than the other?
  5.    #5  
    it depends on your needs:I never use imap

P.S. to know the differences do a search on the net.
    Ciao

Ettore
    The IMAP Connection is a good resource.

Personally, I wouldn't use it because I'm fine with POP3 and how it handles my email.

Here's an excerpt from my host's FAQ regarding the difference of POP3 and IMAP.

IMAP (like POP3) is a protocol for reading email.

It differs from POP3 in that you read the mail directly on our mail server, rather than downloading it to your home computer first. This means:

* You have to be connected to the Internet the whole time you read your email.
    * You don't need to download messages unless you actually want to read them.
    * You can access the same inbox and mail folders from multiple computers since they all connect to the same central server.
    Last edited by Sixpack; 08/01/2004 at 10:53 AM.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    please pardon my ignorance here, but what are the differences between pop3 and imap email accounts?

is one better than the other?

Here's the difference...

http://www.agrenv.mcgill.ca/computing/POP_vs_IMAP.htm

http://www2.skidmore.edu/cits/selfhe...map-to-pop.cfm

http://www.css.qmul.ac.uk/mail/compare.html

Pop works well on my Treo 600 using Snapper Mail's feature to only download a small portion of each msg, then I go back and download entire msg only on the ones I need while remote.

Anyone already using IMAP on their Palm phone? How do you like it?

Randy
    randy, thankyou very much for the link!! that clears it up nicely
    and thanks to everyone else for explaining!! you guys rule!
    thanks Randy for the websites explaining the difference between the two e-mail programs. Question: I have a Treo 600 (Verizon service) but althouth I can read e-mail from my Hotmail and AOL accounts (slowly), I can't seem to send e-mail. Do you know how to correct this? Would snappermail correct it? if so how?
    Thanks
    Martin
    I use IMAP, since both my Desktop and my Treo share the same mailboxes, it's indespinsable. With POP I end up with some email here, some over there etc.

A couple of things, like your web browser, IMAP does keep a cache of recently viewed stuff so you don't have to redownload it over and over. Also makes it speedier.

SnapperMail does the "Continue" thing for IMAP Messages too.
    Pete
    Since I installed the current 2.0 beta, every message I receive is marked as truncated, regardless of the preference settings for how much to fetch. If I tag the message to fetch more or fetch all, it will go get the message but still will display it as truncated. The net result is that I can't read any new email at all.

Anybody else seen this? What's going on?

Thanks,
    Bill Gribble (grib at billgribble.com)
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Hi there. Is anyone able to get their aol mail successfully on snappermail? it always says "search function on imap server not working". On basejet it works fine. I'm using secure settings using ports 993 and 587. Please help with correct settings if you know them.. Thanks..
    I use IMAP and enjoy its benefits. The two programs used are Chatter and SnapperMail. Chatter for its ability to handle push mail and SnapperMail to handle the attachments that Chatter does not do at this time.

I use SSL with both Chatter and SnapperMail and use the default settings. Another user pointed out to in the server settings for IMAP to use "aways secure (wrapped port) and not to check "always trust server." Connection time for me has always been quick.

Ben
    ------

Randy[/QUOTE]
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mchow
    Question: I have a Treo 600 (Verizon service) but althouth I can read e-mail from my Hotmail and AOL accounts (slowly), I can't seem to send e-mail. Do you know how to correct this? Would snappermail correct it? if so how?
    Martin,

I've never used AOL or Hotmail... but to send email from your Treo, you'd normally need to use an SMTP server with your Treo's email client (like Treo Mail or Snapper). Ask them if they provide one for you. And since you're not connected to the internet via AOL or MSN while using your Treo, you'll need an Authenticated SMTP server from them. That just means you can still use their smtp server even while connected using someone else's service (ie- your Treo's provider). And with an authenticated smtp server, you'll logon to it using an id & password (just like a typical pop server). If they don't provide this, plenty of other carriers do.

I'm not certain, but I believe IMAP is like POP in that it only checks or receives email. You still need an SMTP server to send email.

Perhaps your Treo's carrier provides an SMTP server?? If so, just use that one to send your email.

-Randy
    Last edited by Randy99; 08/01/2004 at 12:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy99

I've got FuseMail (IMAP) collecting mail from six POP3 accounts -- using SnapperMail v2 beta for two weeks now. All is going well. Following FuseMail's directions, I can send mail via FuseMail that appears to come from whichever POP account I specify and works on treo as well as laptop.

Interested in forthcoming Chatter Email -- would really like to see attachment support, though heard it won't be in the v1.0 . Guess I'll have to fork over the $60 for Enterprise edition of SnapperMail if I want IMAP *and* attachment support now. Fusemail adds to the total cost another $18 every 3 months to consolidate an unlimited # of email acccounts and 1.25GB of mail storage space.

FuseMail's only $20/yr if you only fuse 4 email accounts and can make do with 350MB IMAP mail storage space.

Would love to know if there's any other options for IMAP mail AND attachment support -- especially cheaper ones.
    I think Versamail is $50... I used it fulltime before Snappermail.
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
    I use IMAP for work. I have many subfolders of e-mail in my inbox because I have special folders set up for different people or projects. IMAP enables me to see and synch all (or any) of the subfolders in my inbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by webdave
    IMAP access is now much quicker.
    Still seems pretty slow
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast