Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. kjk
    ArsLexis has released iPedia 1.0 - a wireless encyclopedia optimized for Treo 600.

iPedia gives you knowledge on the go.

iPedia offers more than 300 thousand encyclopedic articles. With iPedia you can get information and facts on almost any imaginable subject. You can research information on countries and cities of the world, your favourite books, writers, music bands, TV shows, Nobel Prize winners, U.S. presidents... The list has no limits.

For the first time you can have truly rich source of information with you, anywhere you go.

iPedia support regular and extended search of article texts, supports latest Palm OS devices, color and high-resolution displays, 5-Way Navigator on Treo and Tungsten.

iPedia requires Palm device with wireless, Internet access (e.g. Treo 600).

iPedia is available for $29.95. For more information please vist ArsLexis.com.

Krzysztof Kowalczyk | http://www.arslexis.com
    Who is providing the data for this encyclopedia?
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    from the FAQ, wikipedia is providing the data. No ****.. that's incredible.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Seems very steap. $30 for a small interface to a web site.

Why not just use the site directly? http://www.wikipedia.org for free?

If you would price this a $5 I would probably buy it. Same with your dictionary program. But too much cash for someone elses (free) data.
    <a href="http://www.beergeek.com">Beergeek</a> - History: Newton>Pilot Pro>Visor (blue)>Pencil>Toshiba e740>Treo 300>Treo 600>Treo 650>Cingular 8125> <b>Treo 650</b>
  5. kjk
    beergeek, I simply encourage you to try iPedia (the trial version offers a fair number of free lookups) and then try using WikiPedia via Blazer and only after that decide whether the price is right for you or not.

We don't charge for the data, we charge for a high-quality, native Palm application that is highly optimized for what it does.

In our opinion there's no doubt that iPedia provides numerous benefits over web-based front-end: it downloads data faster (we use our own servers and optimize the data we send), displays it in a way optimized for small PDA screens, provide "Random article" and "Extended search" options that are not available via web-front end.

We'll also listen to you (and all users of iPedia) and work to improve iPedia to make it even better. Just tell us how it comes short in your usage.

Krzysztof Kowalczyk | ArsLexis
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    from the FAQ, wikipedia is providing the data. No ****.. that's incredible.
    Is that good?
    yeah that's good... I was excited when writing that, i let my langague slip. /me not always leading by example I guess. *bashful*
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    kjk, another nice app to make use of the Treo's wireless internet connection. Tried it out and it's really fast. I don't use encyclopedias much, so with the price tag at $29.95, I too will pass on it. But if you guys can bring it down more, I'll definitely buy it.

BTW, how long does the trial version last?
    Personally I use blazer to browse wikipedia augmented by using the Mobileleap translation service. Erm, on my treo now so I'll post the URL below. I don't object to iPedia making money at all, but people should be aware that there are free ways to improve Blazer.
    Animo et Fide
    Here's the text-only homepage of wikipedia, try this on your treo. Mobileleap is still in beta, I don't know if it will be free when it comes out of beta.
    http://www.mobileleap.net/app/demo/t...eric&pack=view
    Animo et Fide
  11. kjk
    TR30,

Trial allows about 30 free lookups and then 2 free lookups per day. This might change in the future.

miradu, I wasn't criticizing you!
    I just wasn't sure if your post was enthusiasm or sarcasm!
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    This is a *really* nice app. It works great. Unfortunately, I have to agree with others that the price of 29.95 is just too high for the occasional use I would have. I absolutely support any developer's decision on setting their price-- I just think this app would likely have much wider appeal (and make more money) at a lower price point....
    Free access to wikipedia also available via webxcope, you may need to create a (free) account and change the settings to get the most out of this one. Again, I'm not trying to dispute that the iPedia method of accessing wikipedia may be a lot better interface on the Treo, just pointing out there is a free and workable alternative.
    http://www.webxcope.com/cc/ee117d569...wikipedia.org/
    I'm not sure if you'll be viewing it from my account if you click on this link but who cares you don't know my password
    Animo et Fide
    Quote Originally Posted by kjk
    TR30,

Trial allows about 30 free lookups and then 2 free lookups per day. This might change in the future.

Okay cool, thanks!
    According to the Treocentral article, iPedia claims to "fully support one-handed operations on Treo". After my brief trial run of the app, I can't see how this claim can be made. All I can do is scroll up-down through an article -- that's it. No way to use the 5-way to navigate back or forward through previous articles, or to select links within an article, or to change focus to the search field to begin another search. Maybe this is a limitation of the trial???
  17. kjk
    According to the Treocentral article, iPedia claims to "fully support one-handed operations on Treo". After my brief trial run of the app, I can't see how this claim can be made. All I can do is scroll up-down through an article -- that's it. No way to use the 5-way to navigate back or forward through previous articles, or to select links within an article, or to change focus to the search field to begin another search. Maybe this is a limitation of the trial???
    Full version is the same as the trial (trial simply limits the number of requests you can make).

The search always has a focus, so you don't need to do anything - just start typing a new article title and press "center" on 5-way to launch the search.

Maybe part of the problem is that we don't define "one handed operation" as "can do everything using 5-way". 5-way has only 5 actions and we use them all:
    • left and right move the caret inside search field
    • up and down scroll the definition
    • center launches the search (same as pressing "Search" button)

There's nothing more we can assign to 5-way. However:
    • you can navigate back/forward using menu (press menu button). This can be done using just one hand (I tried) hence we call it "one-handed operation"
    • similarly it's possible to select links with your finger - they are big enough so that you don't need stylus

We could make selecting links without the need to use finger (add menu option that would list all links as a list from which you can select with 5-way).

So we stand behind our "fully one-handed operation" claim.

Having said that, if you have any specific ideas on how we could improve iPedia in that respect, let us know and we'll consider implementing them in future version. You can use other software as a reference (e.g. do this like program X) or you can just describe how you would like things to work in enough detail for us to be able to implement that.

A lot of people mention the price but it sounds like the developers employ a portal. They're not just giving you a piece of software that grabs data directly from the wikipedea site. The software is connecting to some hosted service that proxies and optimizes the data. This costs money in bandwidth and hosting fees. There is some value added here.

This may still not be worth $30 to you (btw, it's not to me) but it might to some. If you use the information for some profesional purpose then the cost is easily justified. I would use it to "impress my friends" and occasionally look something up in conversation so it would rate low on my list of "must haves".

That being said, I hope the developers find their niche market and make enough money to justify further development. The more development taking place, the more we all benefit.
    1. When I look up a location (say, Columbia Maryland) I get a huge list -- I think everything that includes either Columbia or Maryland. When I try quotes " I get a "badly formulated" response. am I donig something srong or is this the way it works?
    2. When I click on a link in an entry, I get an "insufficient memory" error.
    Laissez Faire
  20. kjk
    prubin,

Regarding "badly formulated" response and not being able to display definition of "Columbia, Maryland" - those seem to be bugs. We'll look into fixing them. For reporting issues like that we encourage you to join our discussion group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/arslexis. The benefit of that is that you'll be notified if/when we fix a problem that was reported.

Regarding looking up cities. A helpful tip: the standard for naming articles about cities is "City, State" (without the quotes) e.g. "Columbia, Maryland", "Seattle, Washington", "New York, New York" etc.

Also note that articles are richly linked e.g. there's is a link to "Columbia, Maryland" from article about "columbia".

We find that after a little bit of practice it's quite easy to find an article on any topic you're interested in.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast