Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I would think manually defocus the text field by pressing right or left and allow it to be refocused using space bar? (that would be intuitive) I've never used right or left to move around within the box
    Here's what I would suggest (kinda a combination of what's already been said):

When you start the program, your cursor is active in the input box.
    To submit the query, you either deselect the text box (standard Treo thing -- hit the center button -- textbox is selected, not active), move right to select the Search button and hit center button to submit. Or, you hit the return key when the box is active to submit the search.

If you are in the search bar and want to return to the main body, you can navigate up / down or left /right to switch through the three main selectable controls (main body, search field, and search button). Center button selects the control.

Once a search is completed, the main body is active -- and when results are returned you can do the following:

Left / right -- navigate the links on the current page
    Up / Down -- page up and down
    Center -- follow link
    (just like Blazer)

Then to submit a new search, hit space (also like Blazer) to get to the search box at the bottom.

Seems to cover the bases pretty good?
    <a href="http://www.beergeek.com">Beergeek</a> - History: Newton>Pilot Pro>Visor (blue)>Pencil>Toshiba e740>Treo 300>Treo 600>Treo 650>Cingular 8125> <b>Treo 650</b>
    I like that too
  4. kjk
    Thanks for the ideas. I can't promise anything but we'll definitely consider doing something along those lines in future versions.

Krzysztof Kowalczyk | ArsLexis
    I totally agree with the price issue. I purchased the two apps as well, but ONLY because it was $19.95 for BOTH iNoah and iPedia. Paying more than $10 or so for an app only happens if the app is an absolute must have, has been out of beta for a long time (bugs are minimal) and can push my Treo to do things previously thought impossible or very difficult. I also agree that you'll sell WAY more licenses at a lower price than you will with a $30 price tag. It's much easier to get a buck from a million people than it is to get a million bucks from one (in MOST cases, see below).

There is an exception to this rule however, that I learned about when I was taking business class in college.

Clairol, the beauty supply company, sold the very first home 'perm' kit back in the mid 60's. The chemicals that are used to perm hair are apparently very cheap and easy to acquire, so with packaging and the chemicals & curlers included the entire perm kit cost Clairol about $2.75. They put it out on the market for $9.99 (which yields a reasonable profit).

They sold very few, even though this was bleeding edge technology at the time (back then the way to get a perm was to go to a beauty parlor, costing big $$$).

They had a great idea, great product, good price, etc. but no one was buying it.

Someone had an idea, and they tried it. They pulled the kits off the shelves, renamed the product, changed the design on the package, and sold the kits instead for $79.99! After that, they couldn't keep the product in inventory because they sold more than they ever dreamed they could.

Sadly though, I don't think this will apply for Palm apps.

Just my 2 cents....and by the way, thanks for the great app!
    <a href=http://www.floydpinkerton.net>My Homepage</a><br>
    <a href=http://www.totaldialup.net>TotalDialup.com</a> My business<br>
    <a href=http://www.coverupsounds.com>Coverupsounds.com</a> (my small contribution)
    Hmmm... sorry I just don't see the value in iPedia... First of all, why pay a subscription fee when you can download the wikipedia to you Treo for free?! For example I have the compressed Wikipedia formatted to Tomeraider format on my expansion card measuring about 16 MB. I use Tomeraider to access it with no problems and NO FEES! And I don't have to worry about a wireless connection to access it. Heck, you can even download the entire Webster's Encyclopedia for free in Tomeraider format to your Treo! Just seems like a simpler solution imo, especially since SD prices have become increasingly so inexpensive. The major real advantage of the wireless version is access to the most update wikipedia, but c'mon how up to date do you need an encyclopedia anyway...

Anyhow, here's a nice howto to convert wikipedia for Tomeraider...

http://members.chello.nl/epzachte/Wikipedia/
    Last edited by Gaurav; 08/20/2004 at 04:40 AM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  7. kjk
    gfunkmagic,

Let me add a few points.

1. First, I don't really know where did you get the 18 MB number. According to the website you've pointed:
    At the time of writing (July 2004) the English Wikipedia eats about 320 Mb of you memory card.
    That would be consistent with what we know what is possible: uncomressed WikiPedia data is more than 600 MB; you can't compress that to 18 MB - realistic compression ration for text is about 2x.

A memory card that holds 320 MB will cost you a bunch (a quick look through Amazon tells me that 256 MB card is about $40 and it's not big enough to keep all the data). And the size will only grow in the future.

2. In order to do that you need to have TomeRaider, which isn't free.

Add the cost of TomeRaider and 320 MB memory card and you'll see that iPedia is cheaper.

3. iPedia is much faster. The website you pointed claims that TomeRaiders does search in titles in under 20 seconds and search in text of articles about 5 min. iPedia is way faster than that (try it - lookups are almost instant).

4. We're more up-to-date (we refresh our data at least once a week). The best part of that is that the user doesn't have to do anything - you just get the latest data when we update it on the server. In case of TomeRaider, if you want to update your data, you have to re-download (or re-create it yourself), re-install etc. Is your time really worth nothing?

iPedia is designed specifically for displaying encyclopedia data. It's not a generic document reader with encyclopedia data forced on it. That's why we can offer better speed, better features, more convenience, more up-to-date information. And if you really count the costs (TomeRaider+memory card+your time spent creating/downloading and installing 320 MB files), iPedia ends up being cheaper.

Krzysztof Kowalczyk | http://www.arslexis.com
    The Wikipedia is different because it is constantly being updated. If you have an encyclopedia from last year or even last month, then you won't have the latest info on subjects such as developments in the current presidential election.
    Ipedia gives you a nice way of accessing the wikipedia data and is kept udpated for you. I will often start reading about one subject and then end up reading about something totally different using the internal links.

If you access Wikipedia directly on line, you do get pictures which aren't available on ipedia, but overall, I think it is a nice application.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjk
    gfunkmagic,

Let me add a few points.

1. First, I don't really know where did you get the 18 MB number. According to the website you've pointed:

That would be consistent with what we know what is possible: uncomressed WikiPedia data is more than 600 MB; you can't compress that to 18 MB - realistic compression ration for text is about 2x.

Interesting how you refer to the last link I referred to but not the one I directly gave for the Tomeraider encyclopedia file! You would have seen that it is indeed 16 MB... Secondly, the linked page is obviously a bit out of date. The updated files (as of Feb 2004) are now available and is approximately 100 MBs in size total. A simpe google search and you can easily find it...

3. iPedia is much faster. The website you pointed claims that TomeRaiders does search in titles in under 20 seconds and search in text of articles about 5 min. iPedia is way faster than that (try it - lookups are almost instant).

4. We're more up-to-date (we refresh our data at least once a week). The best part of that is that the user doesn't have to do anything - you just get the latest data when we update it on the server. In case of TomeRaider, if you want to update your data, you have to re-download (or re-create it yourself), re-install etc. Is your time really worth nothing?

iPedia is designed specifically for displaying encyclopedia data. It's not a generic document reader with encyclopedia data forced on it. That's why we can offer better speed, better features, more convenience, more up-to-date information. And if you really count the costs (TomeRaider+memory card+your time spent creating/downloading and installing 320 MB files), iPedia ends up being cheaper.

Again, the file I linked was not 320 MB. Secondly, I do not argue that the online version of Wikipedia is more feature rich than the version that you can download for FREE on your SD card. Thirdly, it does not take 20 Sec to search the Tomeraider version. It entirely depends on the speed of your SD card, and I have had pretty good results using various brands. Also, the advantage of using the offline version is that you can talk and look something up at the same time, which you cannot do if your online!

Finally, yes the online Wikipedia is more up to date... I already acknowledged that. Many users here have already decided that the $20 retail price you charge for your user interface to access that is a good deal. But I wanted to mention to others that there are other cheaper alternatives. Like many users, I have been using Tomeraider on PalmOS devices for a very loooong time. For the one time fee for that reader, you not only get access to freeware like the Wikiencyclopedia, but the Webster Encyclopedia, and tons of other free references on memoware and other ebook sites. The speed of the searches isn't bad and you have the advantages of an offline source as I mentioned above. With 1 GB Sd card now approaching $150 bucks or less, I don't think this is such a bad option...

Btw... If you want a free online dictionary search, just point your Blazer to one of the following sites.

http://www.m-w.com/palm.htm
    http://lookwayup.com/free/handheld.htm
    Last edited by Gaurav; 08/20/2004 at 06:09 AM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I think it just depends on each user's wants, needs, incentive, and wallet!
    If you have the desire to follow those directions, and don't want to spend the $$, happy, happy! If you don't mind tossing some bucks, and saving some time, happy happy! It's like all the other "which is better" threads.
    It's all about each individual user's needs, not about which is really "better".
    Well, at least that's me, anyway!
    First Hello to Everybody as it is my first message on this forum

When I start Ipedia my treo 600 hangs. I have to reset it.
    Inoah or other tools work fine though ...
    Anybody has encountered a similar problem ??? thanks !
  12. kjk
    Quote Originally Posted by pierro78
    First Hello to Everybody as it is my first message on this forum

When I start Ipedia my treo 600 hangs. I have to reset it.
    Inoah or other tools work fine though ...
    Anybody has encountered a similar problem ??? thanks !
    First, I encourage you to send us an e-mail at support AT arslexis.com if you have any problems with ArsLexis software. We always try to work with our users trying to figure out and fix problems.

We've got more than 300 users of iPedia and so far this is only a second time we have a report of such problem. Which means that there is a problem somewhere but unfortunately it's rare and so far we didn't have much success tracking it down or even reproducing it ourselves.

My theory at this time is that it's caused by a conflict with some other program especially if it's one of so-called "hacks" or a program that really pushes the OS like advanced launcher etc. Could you send us a list of all 3rd party software you have installed on your Treo (preferably to our support@ address) ? This would help us in our attempts to reproduce the problem.

Also, can you tell us at which point iPedia hangs? Is it right after the start, after you start a query etc. ?

Thanks for the quick answer, I sent the email with all my applications to the address you gave.
    Ipedia hangs when downloading a definition, after entering my first query
    is that 50% off promo still in effect? if not, is it coming back? i would definitely pick up iPedia and probably iNoah if the price drops.
    Quote Originally Posted by pierro78
    Ipedia hangs when downloading a definition, after entering my first query
    Ipedia 1.1 no longer hangs
  16. kjk
    I'm very glad and thanks for taking the time to letting me know.

Is the 50% off offer still available for users of this forum?
    If the promo is still available, I will definitely buy both!
    -----------------------------
    Treo 650 rocks!

Get a FREE iPod Photo! Use the URL below:

Free iPod! Click Here!
    Has any T650 users been able to access the menu in iPedia? Whenever I try to bring up the menu, it only comes up for a fraction of a second then goes away, not giving me enough time to select anything.
    iPedia and iNoah both seem to work fine for me on my 650.
    John Seay
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast