1.    #1  
    I did a search and it didn't look like I came up with a hit, so I'm going to post.

Which one is better, Eudora (for Palm) or Snappermail?

Eudora Internet Suite 2.1 says that it will allow you to sync your email folders between your Palm device and your Windows desktop computer.
    ( http://www.eudora.com/internetsuite/ )

Snappermail 1.9 says that it has some good features too, but I don't think Snappermail will let you sync your inbox, outbox, and other email folders.
    ( http://www.snappermail.com/treo/mail/ )

Is anybody familiar with both of these products?
    Which one is better, based on your experience?

Thanks.
    The one other major difference between the two is that Snappermail supports attachments. So, I think which you pick depends on your needs.
    I agree with alex. If you can give us your e-mail needs we will be able to give you a better answer.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I will chime in with my e-mail needs. My company runs MS Exchange Server, but I need a desktop solution that will only "push" e-mail that hits my inbox. I do not want or require any calendar, contacts or tasks synchronization. Simply push over e-mails that hit my inbox AFTER passing through Qurb, my spam blocker. Obviously I will keep my desktop ON when not in the office.

Will Snappermail or Eudora do this for me- neat and clean??? Would love some feedback as my needs are pretty simple. Thank you in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff NYC
    Will Snappermail or Eudora do this for me- neat and clean??? Would love some feedback as my needs are pretty simple. Thank you in advance.

no, neither snapper or eudora do push.

basejet would do this, but they are going out of business. I think Aileron (sp) might do this, but it has been awhile.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    OK, so I will skip the push desire and live with an automatic retrieval that I can custom set. Which do you recommend now? Will either JUST allow me to retrieve Inbox e-mails and leave everything else alone? Thanks...
    I loved Eudora, it still does better filtering than SM, And hey it is free. But, it doesn't do attachments and has a size limit. It also had the nasty habit of crashing my treo 270 so hard that I had to do a hard reset. This happened once a month. I never used it with the 600 though.

Yes, if your exchange setup has pop3, then either will do.

If it only does IMAP, then snapper (the beta) will be your only choice.

If your exchange doesn't provide pop or IMAP, then push will be your only choice.
    Felipe
    Well, Chatter does exactly what you want - true push (the only true PUSH on the Treo), assuming you have IMAP access.

-m
  9.    #9  
    alex mathews and cash70:

I want to sync all my email folders between my Treo 600 and desktop computer (Windows XP).

Unfortunately, it seems that "mail conduit" part of Eudora Internet Suite (EIS) is not supported for Windows XP!! (I found that out by reading the details in the Readme.txt file for EIS at the Eudora web site.) Since the mail conduit product is probably the product that allows EIS to sync between a Palm device and a desktop, it seems that I will probably be forced to give up on my desire for being able to sync the email folders.

I would like to be able to read email attachments. So Snappermail looks like the one for me, when I give up my desire to sync email folders.

I also want to filter email. For example, if I receive an email from john_doe@ibm.net, then I want it to go into the "JohnDoe" folder. If I receive an email from someone who is not in my address book, then I want it to go into the "Unknown Person" folder.

Does Snappermail allow me to do this type of filtering? Any other products good for this?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by mygcn2
    Does Snappermail allow me to do this type of filtering? Any other products good for this?

nope.
    Felipe
    Between the two, I found Snappermail to be much more complete. None of these solutions push email as nicely as the Blackberry (Is it really that difficult?).
    Peter
    Is SnapperMail Windows only? OSX?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrheingold
    Is SnapperMail Windows only? OSX?
    Snappermail has no dependencies on your computer's OS. Why do you ask?
    Quote Originally Posted by mygcn2
    alex mathews and cash70:

I want to sync all my email folders between my Treo 600 and desktop computer (Windows XP).

Unfortunately, it seems that "mail conduit" part of Eudora Internet Suite (EIS) is not supported for Windows XP!! (I found that out by reading the details in the Readme.txt file for EIS at the Eudora web site.) Since the mail conduit product is probably the product that allows EIS to sync between a Palm device and a desktop, it seems that I will probably be forced to give up on my desire for being able to sync the email folders.

I would like to be able to read email attachments. So Snappermail looks like the one for me, when I give up my desire to sync email folders.

I also want to filter email. For example, if I receive an email from john_doe@ibm.net, then I want it to go into the "JohnDoe" folder. If I receive an email from someone who is not in my address book, then I want it to go into the "Unknown Person" folder.

Thanks.
    Maybe iambic mail might do the syncing of your email, but I'm not sure which email software the conduit is compatible with.

http://www.iambic.com/email/palmos/

Versamail is another you can look into.

http://www.palmone.com/us/software/versamail25/
    Why skip the "push desire" - try Chatter. I think you will like it.

-Taylor
    Well, wait a few weeks and then try Chatter, I'd say... The "released" versions are very old and don't incorporate six months of IMAP improvements.

However, Chatter IS the only Treo app that has true push email. It also doesn't require a special server, a desktop redirector, or any kind of proxy. It's all direct to your server.

Marc
    Being a Chatter and SM user, they both do an excellent job considering where they are in IMAP their development. I did use Eudora for a short period when I had a Treo 300 and was not impressed with it. Ben
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    There's a fine email comparison posted in the files section of the Yahoo Treo group. It lists features for most of the available email apps, such as price, attachment support, Treo support, UI type, number of accouts, IMAP, filtering and so on.

The group is at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/treo.

The file is at http://f3.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/MI8OQRB...parison_V3.xls
    Does anyone know anything about Visto Mobile Personal Edition? I have scoured their site and cannot find pricing or download/demo information. For those of us wanting a desktop client for use with MS Exchange, it might be ideal.
    Any knowledge of it??? Thanks... :-)
    Eudora comes from a longer history of "true" email apps because of the long time legacy of Eudora for the Mac and PC - that legacy shows in the Palm version to some degree. There are a few minor features that make Eudora work the way an email app should. Examples include the ability to set one of several different signatures on outgoing messages (regardless of which email account you are sending from), change email quoting (styled text vs. unstyled), and quoting on reply that works cleanly (adds > quoting intelligently - similar to Eudora for the Mac or PC). But, for the most part, these minor differences don't matter to most people, I have to admit. Email power users will appreciate them, but other email users will likely not care. What does matter is Eudora has message filtering (more below).

SnapperMail, on the other hand, is more convenient in several ways. In list view, SM can show messages in a 1 line, or 2 line view. The two line view (shows from and subject) is easier to see who a message is from and what it's about (easier to identify spam). Eudora only has the 1 line per message view, making it hard to tell much about a message without opening it. SM uses single button menu command (T for trash, I and O for next and previous, etc) without having to go into the Menu. These features make SnapperMail more convenient than Eudora. HTTP links in SM open up in the default browser, whereas HTTP links in Eudora only work in Eudora's included web browser (very limited - no graphics - a generally useless browser). SM supports the Treo's 5 way navigator. Eudora predates the Treo and does not. These are the main reasons I am considering moving to SM or something else. Because of spam, I need to be able to parse through a lot of messages quickly, and Eudora takes longer to do this than SM. On the other hand....

Eudora has a good filter capability that allows not only filtering messages into separate mail boxes (good for sorting messages from different accounts, or filtering all messages from an email list into its own mailbox), but also allows you to skip downloading messages based on filter criterion. This saves download time or could even be used to filter some spam. I'm on several email lists which have between 10 and 50 messages a day. A couple of them, I don't download to my Treo because I don't want to read them on the Treo.

Unfortunately, SnapperMail has no filtering ability, which is a big disappointment. In time, I'm sure they'll add it. Question is, will they increase the price by another $10 just for filtering ability. :-/

So, I might just go back to Eudora because the time saved with SM due to a convenient interface is wasted because I can't automatically sort my incoming mail, and skip mail from certain email lists.

Eudora's development has ceased. In fact, I'm surprised they even offer Eudora for the Palm on their web site anymore (http://www.eudora.com). I think they do because it offers Hotsync capability with Eudora for the PC.

SnapperMail, on the other hand, has an active development happening, including new support of IMAP and SSL, and they are probably willing and able to implement future feature requests (message filter! Please! Hint hint).

SM has the ability to get messages at regular intervals (i.e. every 60 minutes). Eudora is manual download only.

SM supports attachments (and opening in outside apps). Eudora can download an attachment, but can't do anything with it.

Both support accessing email from multiple email accounts.

SM v2.0 supports archiving mail to an SD Card.

One serious issue I don't like about SM. You must enter a password in the account profile. You cannot leave it blank and ask it to prompt you for the password when you perform a manual email check. Obviously, for automatic download, you would need to enter the password, but I only use manual check. I don't want my email app to remember my password. If I lose my Treo and someone gets past the Treo's locking feature (not hard to do), my email server is exposed. This is unacceptable. Eudora allows you to leave the password blank so you can enter it manually when you do a manual email check. It's a bit of a pain, but I lost a Treo once. It would have been a disaster if someone found it and started playing with the email app on it!!!

SM 2.0 has IMAP and SSL. Eudora has SSL, no IMAP. Unfortunately, SM does not fully support IMAP yet. See this from SM's FAQ.

Can messages sent in SnapperMail 2.0 beta be saved to the 'Sent' folder on my IMAP server?
    SnapperMail 2.0 does not currently support uploading messages from your handheld to IMAP servers. This means the 'Sent Items', 'Drafts' and 'Trash' folders on your IMAP server will not be updated by Snappermail when you send or trash messages etc. We hope to add support for this in SnapperMail 2.1.
    This seems like a serious drawback as half the point of using IMAP is to be able to send messages, type drafts, trash messages and have this sync with the IMAP server.

SM 2.0 supports archiving messages to an SD Card (only email app that does this as far as I know).

Finally, at $60, SM is over priced (full version - IMAP and everything). Eudora is free, but probably could easily demand $20 for their effort. To be fair, the version of SM that is most similar to Eudora (POP3 and SSL support) is their $50 version (no IMAP), and $40 for a version without SSL. They even have a Lite version which doesn't support rich text or multiple email accounts. Why does SM feel the need to nickle and dime us. With each new feature, it just gets more expensive. That's a bad sign. SM is now more expensive than most email apps for desktop computers!

Because of the price of SM, I'm still searching (maybe Chatter). Until then, when the SM demo expires, I'll probably go back to Eudora because the ability to filter incoming messages is more important to me than SM's more slick user interface. I use POP3, so I don't care about IMAP. But, I am evaluating solutions for IMAP for my wife for work. Unfortunately, until SM fully supports folder syncing, I cannot recommend SM even for IMAP applications.

Well, that's one person's perspective. In the end, I might just expect to much from an email app on the Treo. But, for the price, I should be able to expect a lot more from SM. Chatter Email (not IMChatter, but an actual Email program) is coming out in beta soon, which supports IMAP and true pull message fetching. Best part, the price is $20 (maybe $25 if he goes to Handango). That sounds much more like it. But, as far as I know, Chatter doesn't support POP3. Such an imperfect world. :-)