Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have TMobile service currently because it has the best coverage in my neck of the woods, but I must say I am disappointed at their current strategy of pushing WiFi so hard at the expense of any 3G strategy at all - no EDGE, no UMTS, nothin'....

I read Mossberg's review of the h6315 and it says Tmo will have a $80 and $90/month plan for unlimited data, 1000 min. voice, and corporate email access on the higher plan. This is probably a good deal if you spend half your life at Starbucks, but otherwise it seems a little pricey.

Let's geek out with a little math. Tmo has 4,500 WiFi points currently. Let's say each provides coverage across a circle 600 feet in diameter. That works out to 1.2 billion sq. feet or 45 sq miles of coverage. That's right - a little less than a 7x7 mile square patch of coverage spread across the entire country. WooHoo...............not!!!!!!!

Now to be fair there are thousands of other access points, many of them free, and certainly WiFi could come in handy at home and in the office but I would really place a higher value on a decent, widespread 3G service.

Another thing to factor in is the size of the display. A nice, reliable, well compressed 200 kbps data stream will provide very high quality streaming video on a 320x320 display. That data rate is also pretty decent for web browsing, again especially given the screen size, and is arguably overkill for most email appilcations. Sure more is better, but you get diminished returns with the higher speed of WiFi on these small screen devices I think.

So I not saying that WiFi isn't nice. I agree that eventually all smart phones/wireless pdas will support it and there will eventually be a lot more coverage out there. However, I would prefer having a nice 3G service with nationwide coverage first. In the meantime, maybe I'll have to become a serious coffee drinker......
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I'll drink to that! ;-) Great post, I agree with you wholeheartedly.
    Same here! The point of a cell phone is to be connected ANYWHERE, even in the middle of a highway.
    Yep. I've been hammering on this same point for weeks now:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...926#post380926
    Off to iPhone land...
    Let's geek out with a little math. Tmo has 4,500 WiFi points currently. Let's say each provides coverage across a circle 600 feet in diameter. That works out to 1.2 billion sq. feet or 45 sq miles of coverage. That's right - a little less than a 7x7 mile square patch of coverage spread across the entire country. WooHoo...............not!!!!!!!
    maybe some other geek should remind him that most eartling live in dense metropolitant area instead of cow patch Montana. Average geeky earthlings is within reach of WiFi gateway 98% of time when he needs net connection, hence the point of WiFi capability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Nguyen
    Same here! The point of a cell phone is to be connected ANYWHERE, even in the middle of a highway.

if you need to check the web while driving, you are criminally negligence. For everything else there is GPRS.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    uh oh...form gestapo alert!!
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I think the Wifi thing is a pretty nice idea, but have another concern...battery. Wifi kills the battery life on PDAs for web and email uses, so imagine the drain if talking on Wifi networks!

For $80 per month I think it is a good deal. I currently have 1000 Minutes for $39.99, plus 1000 text, and Tzones...Totaling about $56 per month, or thereabouts. To get unlimited data, both on Wifi and GPRS with the ability to move between them as well, and 1000 minutes to use...it works, plus it is still less than any other carrier...
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5
    I think the Wifi thing is a pretty nice idea, but have another concern...battery. Wifi kills the battery life on PDAs for web and email uses, so imagine the drain if talking on Wifi networks!

For $80 per month I think it is a good deal. I currently have 1000 Minutes for $39.99, plus 1000 text, and Tzones...Totaling about $56 per month, or thereabouts. To get unlimited data, both on Wifi and GPRS with the ability to move between them as well, and 1000 minutes to use...it works, plus it is still less than any other carrier...
    That's true - compared to other carriers the price isn't bad. Tmo's prices are pretty good across the board actually. If it were 3G service instead of WiFi I would be much happier though.

It will be interesting to see which is worse for battery life - WiFi or the couple competing 3G techonologies. They are all pretty much battery hogs right now I think. Anybody have any thoughts on this?
    On Sprint I'm paying about $40 a month for 300 minutes (all I need) and unlimited data. I can't believe that the lowest plans with the new HP "wonderness" is twice that (or more). Maybe it's just that TMo doesn't have a good 300 minute plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by kjoe
    It will be interesting to see which is worse for battery life - WiFi or the couple competing 3G techonologies. They are all pretty much battery hogs right now I think. Anybody have any thoughts on this?
    I'm not really sure if I care at the current time. If I'm using CDMA to browse the web, I'm spending around 6 minutes for 4 web pages -- on average. Wi-fi, being quicker, could cut it down to 1 minute (or less), so as long as it doesn't eat up 6 times more the battery I'm in good shape. If it does eat up more than 6 times the battery, well then that's the price I pay for finishing my task 5 minutes early.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    if you need to check the web while driving, you are criminally negligence. For everything else there is GPRS.
    How about when you're a passenger in the car? Or commuting to work on the bus or train? I'm pretty sure WiFi can't hand-off from one hotspot to another. (not that there's hot-spots near the highway anyway...)
    Although I guess if you're used to using GPRS then the appeal of WiFi might be greater.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    How about when you're a passenger in the car? Or commuting to work on the bus or train? I'm pretty sure WiFi can't hand-off from one hotspot to another. (not that there's hot-spots near the highway anyway...)
    Although I guess if you're used to using GPRS then the appeal of WiFi might be greater.
    1. WiFi capability is ADDED capability on top of whatever treo can do. (GSM/GPRS) If you don't like it you don't have to use it. But the facility exist, it beats the pants out of GPRS. (this include various freebies VOIP)

2. Most business class train has WiFi. I challange you to get reliable GPRS connection on fast moving north east corridor trip compared to WiFi.

Am I the only one who thinks treo 600 users are so out of it, that they completely reject WiFi feature because it's only usefull 90% of the time as oppose to 99% of the time?

wew...amazing.
    1. WiFi capability is ADDED capability on top of whatever treo can do. (GSM/GPRS) If you don't like it you don't have to use it. But the facility exist, it beats the pants out of GPRS. (this include various freebies VOIP)

2. Most business class train has WiFi. I challange you to get reliable GPRS connection on fast moving north east corridor trip compared to WiFi.

Am I the only one who thinks treo 600 users are so out of it, that they completely reject WiFi feature because it's only usefull 90% of the time as oppose to 99% of the time?

wew...amazing.
    No some of us really like wi-fi. Some of us can only use it 10% of the time. Some of us realize that the convenience of wi-fi isn't worth carrying a brick around in our pockets.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    It is wild how people see a new product coming out and talk about how useless its features are when they own the competing product...it would seem that people on the board work for Palm!

I like a good product that not only does what I'm told it will do, but makes my happy while I'm using it. The Treo 600 does that...so does the XDA II, the various MS smartphones, the i500 from Sprint, and I bet the 6315 will. I prefer PPC, but it all depends on implementation...Treo has done it better so far but I'm interested in seeing what happens on the other side too...if you want to hate on another "smart" phone, fire shots at the P900...that thing is just annoying to use and doesn't do much very well, but everything merely adequately.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    where I live the trains don't have WiFi. I also don't use GPRS as I'm a Sprint customer. Vision works superbly while tooling down the highway at 60mph, and is available almost everywhere I go. WiFi is primarily in coffee shops and airports.
    I love WiFi. I have it set up at home for my laptop. I have no desire for it on my Treo.

wew...amazing.

Actually...Ska, PurpleX here is right here. (Did I say that? ) Btw, where you been lately?

Anway, wifi should not be seen as a replacement or competitor to 3G, but as a supplamental form of wirless connectivity. In fact, most wireless providers are positioning wifi networks to supplament their coverage and enhance it where their WAN converage fails. This is most evident on large campuses and steel/concrete structures where most WAN converage fails. Thus wifi should be viewed more as a indoor/LAN wireless connectivity and WAN (3G) as more of a outdoor wireless connectivity. The beauty of devices like the H6300 is that it can seamlessly and automatically switch from one form of wireless connectivity to another without the users having to interfere...

In addition, the other major attraction of wifi is cheap international calls via VoIP. This is a huge attraction for many enterprise and business users in the future. It is also a segment that P1 has tried to target with the TC with minimal success...

Finally, it is quite obvious that the Treo Ace probably will not be capable of the seamless type of wireless switching the h6300 has b/c it would require the use of PalmOS Cobalt, which it doesn't. PalmSource has previously stated that they intended to integrate this type of functionality into Cobalt, but I wonder how long into the future such devices will actually appear...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Well of course I'd be a passenger. If my girlfriend really insist she drive, at least I'll have something to do. I may have to let her drive more often, as long as there's GPRS available.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    No some of us really like wi-fi. Some of us can only use it 10% of the time. Some of us realize that the convenience of wi-fi isn't worth carrying a brick around in our pockets.
    most of you only use PDA functionality 1.5% of the time beyond checking address book and after the initial coolness of multimedia wears off.

Treo 600 owners aren't exactly hardcore geek, just toy lovers.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    most of you only use PDA functionality 1.5% of the time beyond checking address book and after the initial coolness of multimedia wears off.

Treo 600 owners aren't exactly hardcore geek, just toy lovers.
    I would guess that most Treo users use wireless email pretty extensively. That's not exactly phone-centric functionality.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast