Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1.    #1  
    I have downloaded the demo and it seems to work very well. But I cannot actually use the spoken "turn by turn" directions until I connect a GPS unit. Currently I listen to MP3's on my Treo while I drive. Has anyone tried using the Mapopolis software while Pocket-Tunes is running in the background?

    TIA
  2. jglev's Avatar
    Posts
    403 Posts
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by dudemasicus
    I have downloaded the demo and it seems to work very well. But I cannot actually use the spoken "turn by turn" directions until I connect a GPS unit. Currently I listen to MP3's on my Treo while I drive. Has anyone tried using the Mapopolis software while Pocket-Tunes is running in the background?

    TIA
    I haven't tried it, but you can get the spoken words without the GPS by tapping the navagation box with the stylus. I suggest that you start Pocket Tunes with your music, then go to Mapopolis, create a route and then tap the navagation window. I just tried it with mine sitting in my office and it seems to work. I am using the synthetic voice which takes a lot of resources, so I think it is taxing the poor Treo's CPU, but it might be better with the pre-recorded voice. Give it a try.
    Jeff
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jglev
    I haven't tried it, but you can get the spoken words without the GPS by tapping the navagation box with the stylus. I suggest that you start Pocket Tunes with your music, then go to Mapopolis, create a route and then tap the navagation window. I just tried it with mine sitting in my office and it seems to work. I am using the synthetic voice which takes a lot of resources, so I think it is taxing the poor Treo's CPU, but it might be better with the pre-recorded voice. Give it a try.
    [Thanks for the tip on getting the voice prompts to operate w/o the connection to the GPS.]

    Had a great response from Mapopolis tech support on the comparison between recorded and synthetic prompts. While the response was fairly neutral, they said that synthetic voice is the future. They were silent on the relative compute load. (I believe that computers slow down with age but that new ones are always faster and often cheaper.)

    As an old Neverlost user, I am currently configured to use the recorded prompts ("Crystal," who sounds like Neverlost). Have used both. Big advantage of the synthetic voice is that it tells one the number of the exit and the name of the new direction, i.e., all the information that is in the nav box. The recorded voice only indicates the change in direction. (As an old Neverlost user, I am already trained to glance at the nav display for that the other information. I find that even with the synthetic voice, I check that information on the display.)
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jglev
    I haven't tried it, but you can get the spoken words without the GPS by tapping the navagation box with the stylus. I suggest that you start Pocket Tunes with your music, then go to Mapopolis, create a route and then tap the navagation window. I just tried it with mine sitting in my office and it seems to work. I am using the synthetic voice which takes a lot of resources, so I think it is taxing the poor Treo's CPU, but it might be better with the pre-recorded voice. Give it a try.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the tip... it worked. I was able to listen to my MP3 file while the program was reading out directions. Now I need to go back and see if it will play my streaming Internet radio stations.... but that is not as important to me.

    On another note, it seems as though people have reference difference voices for the navigation. I can only find one.... any hints?


    Thanks again.
  6. #6  
    Personally, I like "Smone." She sounds just like the NeverLost voice. It's a free download -- I'll try and find the link for you.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

    Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
  7. jglev's Avatar
    Posts
    403 Posts
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by dudemasicus
    Thanks for the tip... it worked. I was able to listen to my MP3 file while the program was reading out directions. Now I need to go back and see if it will play my streaming Internet radio stations.... but that is not as important to me.

    On another note, it seems as though people have reference difference voices for the navigation. I can only find one.... any hints?


    Thanks again.
    There is a wealth of info at www.gpspassion.com. They have a whole forum section on Mapopolis including some voices (although I couldn't find Simone). They are under the News section.
    Jeff

Posting Permissions