Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Folks,
    I experianced yet another hinge break today, only my 3rd this year. . .
    Since I've already spent $150 (75x2) on repairs this year I decided to take a close look at the problem.

I've found it's not the lid on my unit that is causing the problem, it's a problem in the closing mechanism itself. The spring driven unit binds up and causes the lid to crack when it's opened. Which leads me to believe that even if I repair the crack on the flip, it will be broken again in short order.

Has anyone else found a problem with the spring mechanism and if so, what did you find.

I'd love to have a T600, but after all these replacement units, from the 180 and 270 lines, my patience and rationale for spending another 500 bucks with palm is very thin.
    repairs...when my hinge break, i sent it back to tmobile and they send me a replacement for free

i did it twice
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    They've replaced mine so many times I've lost count, but not anymore.
    Why won't they replace it? If t-mobile handset replacement won't do the trick I would call up lockline (if you have the insurance...). All else fails I would try fixing it with Apoxy or try to convert it to a Treo 180/270 NL (do a search for 180NL or 270NL or 300NL) some ppl around her have done amazing things with the broken lid!. Of it you are willing to cut up a Treo 300 case you could order this http://store.craytonelectronics.com/tr300resh.html
    and cut up the front panel so that it fits the GSM treos...

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    My hinge just broke this am, exactly as described above. Spring jammed and caused the hinge to break. PalmOne said they don't make that model anymore and referred me to PDAparts.com. No luck there, either. I'm dumping mine and getting a 600. Wish I'd have known about this problem before I invested in the 270.
    I just got off the phone with PalmOne and after 34 minutes of being on hold, they have decided to repair the hinge and waive the $159 repair fee. (The warranty expired on 8/02 of this year). We'll see how this pans out.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Glad to hear they decided to work with you.
    I'm just amazed they don't call the problem a known defect and give us a formal timeline for supporting the problem.
    I doubt moving to the 600 would be a clear winner, since that platform has been shown to have it's own problems.
    I'll wait for the ACE then decide if it's worth the upgrade.
    Regardless, I will have the insurance policy this time around. . .
    Fixed my Treo 180 hinge and antenna with epoxy and paper clips (after drilling some channels into the existing plastic). It is really ugly but it works. Now I've noticed the plastic around the stylus compartment is cracking too ... here we go again. Incidentally, I carry my Treo in my front left pocket so it gets some abuse I'm sure.

I too thought the culprit in the cracked lid may actually be the spring in the hinge as it was stuck open after the break. I fixed it in the open position, then closed the lid and found that it worked fine. FYI.
    My Treo270 hinge was broken today. This is also my 3rd in a year.
    I am going to file a complaint to palmone.com and comsumer protection organization in Taiwan.

Quote Originally Posted by jberger
    Folks,
    I experianced yet another hinge break today, only my 3rd this year. . .
    Since I've already spent $150 (75x2) on repairs this year I decided to take a close look at the problem.

I've found it's not the lid on my unit that is causing the problem, it's a problem in the closing mechanism itself. The spring driven unit binds up and causes the lid to crack when it's opened. Which leads me to believe that even if I repair the crack on the flip, it will be broken again in short order.

Has anyone else found a problem with the spring mechanism and if so, what did you find.

I'd love to have a T600, but after all these replacement units, from the 180 and 270 lines, my patience and rationale for spending another 500 bucks with palm is very thin.