Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    marc, my chatter still crashes from time to time
    Depeneds, if the IMAP Server is open to the internet, then no VPN needed. If it is insdie the firewall and accessible only from your internal network, you'd need a VPN to get through the firewall.
    Pete
  3. Pft
    Does the VPN connection work clean with chatter? The reason I ask is that with VPN on the T6 the auto notify/ alert capabilities of some email programs are not supported.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEMT
    Depeneds, if the IMAP Server is open to the internet, then no VPN needed. If it is insdie the firewall and accessible only from your internal network, you'd need a VPN to get through the firewall.
    I guess I'm not exactly sure, but I would imagine it's behind the firewall. (wouldn't most mail servers be...??) For example, if I want to connect my home computer using Outlook to my work Exchange account, I need to have the VPN connected. I'm assuming that's the answer to my question.

That being the case, I don't think I want to mess with yet another piece of software on the Treo just to get work email over IMAP (and that's asssuming my IT dept. would even open this up). Thus the beauty of the desktop redirector solution. Oh well, I still like Chatter for my personal email. (fastmail)
    From what you describe, probably yes it is behind the firewall. It does need to have an "exposed" side where it sends/gets mail from the rest of the internet but that side probably is not setup for user interaction. If you could access the Exchange Server or Outlook Web Access from home without the VPN, then plain Chatter would probably work fine.
    Pete
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Isnt' the Outlook Web Access just that - a web interface? Or could an email client like Chatter hook right into it?
    I was just using OWA as an example of a non firewalled app on the Mail Server. Ideally they'd set up IMAP similarly. Chatter doesn't work with OWA itself.
    Pete
    when is chatter email coming out ?
  9.    #69  
    Public beta later this week...

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank

Marc
    Will Chatter allow storage on the SD card?
    Thx.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad

Marc
    Can't wait! Excited about the traditional email 'look'

Thanks!
  12.    #72  
    Storage on SD card isn't in the first version. Personally, I think SD archiving is a bit less important with IMAP than with POP, since presumably most messages will always be on the server and can be filed there for archival purposes.

Marc
    Storage on SD card isn't in the first version. Personally, I think SD archiving is a bit less important with IMAP than with POP, since presumably most messages will always be on the server and can be filed there for archival purposes.

Marc
    Hi Marc,
    I guess the issue for me is being able to access some information when I'm in a no-coverage area, and not using relatively scarce RAM for this.
    Thanks.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  14.    #74  
    I don't disagree that it's useful; it will probably make it into 1.1
    beta soon?
  16.    #76  
    I'm hoping Friday; realistically, possibly Monday. I keep adding little things, and the docs need to be updated...
    thanks for the heads up! looking forward to trying it!
    you saw shimon of 2day added chatter support? cool.
    Unfortunately Lotus Notes' IMAP server doesn't implement the IDLE command so Chatter is pretty much useless with it even if those of you who mentioned it can get your IT department to open IMAP.

-Mike
  19.    #79  
    Sigh. Well, I know I'll go to hell for this, but I'm implementing something for systems without the IDLE command - yes, damn it, a timed sync. (Just put in a QuickSync that goes online, does a sync, and goes back offline, so it's not too much of a leap.)

BTW, MS Exchange Servers are frequently open with IMAP/IDLE.

Marc
    Ditto albertb's question. We use Notes as well. I'd prefer to have an option to Wireless Sync.

OT: I'd like to register this if I can get a Chatter IM account. Possible?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast