Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    True, but you can enable IMAP and POP3 on a Lotus server. We have both running at my work. Good to have options.
    He said IMAP wasn't enabled and wondered if the native Lotus Protocol would work
    Pete
    Marc, locking makes sense for a few messages, but is not a great way of keeping 100's or thousands of messages on the Treo. I could sync the whole inbox, but it seems like it would keep Chatter far more busy than makes sense (both data and battery-wise). (FYI, Snapper has this archiving feature-- a toggle that allows one to "never remove mail" from the treo, meaning beyond the sync period).
    Wouldn't the Treo's limited memory come into play as far as archiving?
    Pete
    I am sure most of us have many megabytes of available memory. MessageXpress uses a nice method where you can specify the size of your mail database, e.g., 5 megs. If it fills up, it removes (just from the Treo) the earliest messages first to make room for new messages. Or, if possible, storage could be on an SD card.
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone
    marc,

the new test versions are great. are there any plans to lift the message size restrictions? I've noticed that the eMail load option still tops out at 16000 characters on the newer versions. I like the attachment notification, but loading entire messages such as mailing list digests would be handy...
    -- berto
  6.    #46  
    Yes, the last major feature I'm adding before "beta" is the ability to load more of messages (so, for example, you could choose to only load a small amount of each and load more in "real time"). The final limit will probably be around 64k (which should cover just about everything).

Marc
    great news, thanx marc!! I'm looking forward to that and the other features that you mentioned. one more question on the new version. there's a checkbox on the "notify" screen called "use deleted items on server." is there any way to use this on fastmail? their equivalent folder is called "trash" and can't be renamed.
    -- berto
    Marc,

Will there be a way to turn off the always-on push functionality, and just do an old fashioned timed pull (every x minutes, etc.). I have been using Chatter since the T300 days, and even though I can just barely squeak through a day battery-wise I tend not to use it because I hate running the battery down that low. It would be great to have the option of a much less battery intensive timed pull, even though that goes against the point of the always on push; more options is always better, right.

Regards,
    --Mathew
  9.    #49  
    Hi, Mathew.

There's more to be done to improve battery life in the current scheme, and I'd much rather move in that direction. At the end of the day, however, it's not a religious thing, so I will consider it. And in the meantime, you can always move to a GSM carrier, right? (just kidding)

Marc
    Here in Honolulu, Sprint has the best coverage. Out of the metro area though, Verizon is a bit better. Ben
    Marc, I would agree that it makes sense to work on more systemic ways of reducing battery drain than getting into the timed X
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone
    I can't wait to try this! I have been unsuccessful with snapper on imap so far.
    Jim
    Jim@treo1.com
    <a href="http://treo1.com">
    treo1.com
    One Stop, plain and simple
    <a href="http://treo1.com/index650.htm"> Visit our new Treo650 optimized site!!</a>
    <a href="http://palmoscentral.com"> Visit our new website palmOSCentral.com!</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by treo1
    I can't wait to try this! I have been unsuccessful with snapper on imap so far.
    I'm right there with you.
    I would love to be able to use the option of treohelper to sms poll my inbox at times. I hope you'll allow for that option.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 155
    I would love to be able to use the option of treohelper to sms poll my inbox at times. I hope you'll allow for that option.
    I can't imagine that will happen. Chatter uses a true IP connection push, and therefore doesn't need SMS. -assuming I'm understanding you correctly....
    Is there an email signup page for this upcoming beta? Then Marc could just email us all once beta goes live...

-WC-
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    I am intending to release a new "public beta" of Chatter Email 1.0 during the first week of August.
    OK it's Friday on the first week in Aug. Is it ready yet? ;-)

Can't wait to check it out.
    The "always on" push feature i'd assume uses the IDLE feature of IMAP right? Is there an option to turn this off? I've had issues in desktop mail clients that enable it by default (mozilla) when trying to access the single mailbox with multiple clients (home, treo, work) because it seems to lock the mailbox. I'm excited about another IMAP client!
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
    The locking of the IMAP Server is usually a server thing. I experienced this with UW-IMAP, switched to Courier-IMAP and it handled mutliple instances of the same user fine.
    Without IDLE, it'd just be IMAP polling which everyone dislikes because of it's slowness.
    Pete
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    For those of you who use Chatter to get corporate email by horn-swaggling your IT dept. into opening up IMAP access to your work mail server...

I assume you still need a VPN client on the Treo in order to get email, correct?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast