Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mark is this a totally new app and if so could you post some screenshots right now!!!
    Chatter Email 1.0 appears to have great promise and I did not know that this will be the first email client to do SSL in the background! I'm currently using our bundled PalmOne Mail 1.02a client because I was really waiting for SnapperMail's 2.0 with its IMAP via SSL support. However, considering its hefty pricetag, I am more than willing to give CE 1.0 a shot even though the attachment reading support will not be in until 1.1. I can't wait to give this a try!
    Sounds great! I'll give it a try as soon as you make it available.

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    crap I don't think it will work for me. It's exchange and even when I access it from my home computer I have to download and install a certificate first.
  5.    #25  
    Chatter works with Exchange Servers, as long as they are open to IMAP (with or without SSL). You might check...

-m
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    Chatter works with Exchange Servers, as long as they are open to IMAP (with or without SSL). You might check...

-m
    Exchange... *holding back laughter*, I'm not sure if your response was directed at me, but since I did mention IMAP and SSL, I actually plan on using it against my Postfix+Courier-IMAP setup under Linux. When I get this setup and if it's before you release your public beta, I'll give Chatter a try.
  7.    #27  
    No, directed at hall316. I sure hope he doesn't laugh at me.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Will the current IM features found in Chatter exist in the new program or will this be a new version stripped of the IM capabilities?

Keith
    I've used Chatter for ages, and loved it - despite the fact that background IMAP wouldn't work (in the background) with SSL. The latest beta, with background IMAP SSL is absolutely awesome. True push, all the time - phone awake or asleep. Why wait 5 minutes for Snapper to decide what to sync when Chatter already has an up to the minute copy of your inbox? Chatter rules!

Dunc
    Can someone please educate me.
    We use Lotus Notes at work. I called our IT department and they said IMAP is not enabled, which I was hoping it would be so that I could use Chatter email.
    Doesn't Lotus Notes work on an IMAP basis considering it always tells me when I have new emails on its own? Is there any way to look up what protocol Notes is using? We even have a web interface for our email, but Blazer won't load it.
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    I've asked my IT guy and he's not sure if I would be able to use this or not. I guess I will just wait for the beta and see. It's already fun making fun of the cell phone and blackberry carring people I work with. I've converted 1 so far to the Treo 600 and I'm always getting another saying they are getting ready to make the switch. Ah the life of the work trendsetter haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb
    Can someone please educate me.
    We use Lotus Notes at work. I called our IT department and they said IMAP is not enabled, which I was hoping it would be so that I could use Chatter email.
    Doesn't Lotus Notes work on an IMAP basis considering it always tells me when I have new emails on its own? Is there any way to look up what protocol Notes is using? We even have a web interface for our email, but Blazer won't load it.
    Lotus Notes uses a Protocol that isn't IMAP, it's closer to MAPI (exchange's proprietary format for talking with outlook)
    Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEMT
    Lotus Notes uses a Protocol that isn't IMAP, it's closer to MAPI (exchange's proprietary format for talking with outlook)
    So are there MAPI email clients out for the Treo 600?
    And does MAPI constantly use the internet connection?
    I don't think so, as MAPI is pretty closely held. I don't think the Lotus Implementation is exactly MAPI, as MAPI is a Microsoft thing, but it's close.
    Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by JBoogie
    I actually plan on using it against my Postfix+Courier-IMAP setup under Linux. When I get this setup and if it's before you release your public beta, I'll give Chatter a try.
    I tried Linux, Courier IMAP and got no where fast... I'm currently running Dovecot IMAP on my Redhat 9 box. Chatter connects, with SSL, flawlessly. Idle works like a champ. Dovecot is a heck of a lot simpler install if you find yourself getting frustrated.

Dunc
    Last edited by Dunc; 08/05/2004 at 07:13 AM.
    I've been using the latest Chatter beta and it's a phenomenal program that keeps on getting better and better. It's like having a Blackberry except you don't need server software or a desktop re-director.

As Marc knows, there are 2 features I'd really like to see added:

- ability to keep non-sync'ed "archived" mail on the Treo (i.e., can sync for 5 days worth of mail but keep older mail on the Treo)

- ability to use the Palm search function on the mail database.

R.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc
    I tried Linux, Courier IMAP and got no where fast... I'm currently running Dovecot IMAP on my Redhat 9 box. Snapper connects, with SSL, flawlessly. Idle works like a champ. Dovecot is a heck of a lot simpler install if you find yourself getting frustrated.

Dunc
    Hmm, I haven't had problems with Courier-IMAP in the past, had it working flawlessly with qmail. First time hearing about Dovecot, haven't been camping http://freshmeat.net lately. I'll read up on Dovecot and see what's up. Thanks for mentioning it.
    Any idea when you will do v1.1 with attachment reading? I think for the time being I can live with using Snapper for retrieving attachments that I absolutely need, but I'm just curious.
  19.    #39  
    MobileGuy - You can "lock" any given message, and then it will remain on your Treo regardless of "sync" settings. This also prevents accidental deletion.

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEMT
    I don't think so, as MAPI is pretty closely held. I don't think the Lotus Implementation is exactly MAPI, as MAPI is a Microsoft thing, but it's close.
    True, but you can enable IMAP and POP3 on a Lotus server. We have both running at my work. Good to have options.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast