1.    #1  
    Soon I'm taking a cruise to Alaska.

I'll be flying out of NYC, and landing in Seattle (-3 hrs difference).
    We take a bus up to Vancouver (no difference).
    The ship goes to Alaska (-1 hr difference) for several days

We come back to Vancouver (+ 1 hr difference)
    We fly to San Fransisco (No difference)
    We Fly to NYC (+ 3 hrs difference)

I'm with Sprint, so I imagine in Seattle and San Fransisco, the Treo would set it's time automatically when I connect to Sprint PCS service. However, I don't think there is service in Vancouver, and not in Alaska (especially on the ship) so I plan to leave the wireless off for that whole segment of the trip.

Would it be better to disable "Enable Local Network Time" for this whole trip? The parts where I'm out of the lower 48 states? I plan to use DateBk5 to keep track of activities on the ship, and the shore trips. (Yes, I am that scatter brained that I need to program it all into my Treo! )

Any other suggestions/help would be appreciated.

Thanks

P.S. I don't suppose there is a way to keep the Treo charged up on a flight, or bus... "Hey driver, mind if I plug this in your power outlet?"

P.P.S I checked about internet use. 75 cents per minute. I don't think I'll be keeping up with TreoCentral while on the trip!
    Sprint has service in parts of Canada for roaming. I have used mine in Toronto. You get no data but you do get voice, sms and voicemail.

I would disable the network time and use CityTime to change time zones - using the change location feature. It is the simplest way to cope when moving about.
    City Time is the way to go - just used it myself while treveling.
    Have a great trip!
    Does your calendar automatically update to reflect the changed local time?
    Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk700
    P.S. I don't suppose there is a way to keep the Treo charged up on a flight, or bus... "Hey driver, mind if I plug this in your power outlet?"
    I now travel with a power converter that works with both car and air adapters since my laptop battery is down to about an hour of active use before it craps out. US Air seems to have power connectors throughout the cabin while United and American only in the front of the plane reserved for higher end frequent fliers. If I can't find an onboard adapter I'l try and charge up in the waiting area if I have multiple flight segments.

However, considering the Treo battery drain is much lower than a laptop I would be surpised if you needed a charge unless you were watching a movie and not just regular business use.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Poryphyron
    Sprint has service in parts of Canada for roaming. I have used mine in Toronto. You get no data but you do get voice, sms and voicemail.

I would disable the network time and use CityTime to change time zones - using the change location feature. It is the simplest way to cope when moving about.
    I started playing a little with City Time. How would this affect events in my Datebook5 calendar? For example, if I'm scheduling shuffleboard for 3 pm, can I just say 3 pm, or do I need to compensate for the time changes? I'm trying to figure out a way to do the least mental math in my head, since this is suppose to be vacation.

Thanks for all the comments folks!
    You don't need to do any mental math. Always schedule events time in the time zone you will be in during the event. As you change the clock on your treo everything is taken care of. I travel East Coast to West Coast and back all the time and never have had an issue.

Have a good trip!
    Continued--
    Time is like a linear map. When you change time zones the only thing that changes is the "you are here" location on the map.
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    Ekim is right. Datebk5 allows you to specify a time zone for any calendar event. Just remember to schedule things in the proper zone, and it will automatically calculate everything for you, depending on which zone you set in your main preferences.

And for things like airline flights, which can span several zones, you can set the zone to "all time zones" which will leave the time absolute no matter which zone you are in.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I've never understood why Palm (or Handspring for that matter) hasn't integrated a time zone selection under 'Event Details' within the calendar application! I figure this could be set in the general preferences section with a default setting (for your current timezone) and when you set up appointments, if you needed to enter the time for an appointment outside of your timezone, you would select the time and then select the alternate time zone. Say, a box under the 'repeat' selection from within 'event details'. In this way, you set the timezone for each appointment and if you were to travel to another timezone (and your phone changed it's time and timezone or you changed it manually) your calendar would still reflect the accurate local time for the appointment.

This doesn't seem to be rocket science here but for some reason hasn't been integrated yet! Time zones have always been messy on Palms.......