1.    #1  
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    I expect to see something soon. Look, PalmOne has no good music player (real doesn't compare to pocket-tunes, nor the ipod/itunes). They want to become more digital. PalmOne's devices do not compete directly with the ipod, just like how motorola's devices do not compete directly with the ipod. I think that apple will license out fairplay to companies that aren't going to hurt ipod sales, just enhance them .If PalmOne were to include iTunes on every single device, wouldn't you expect a few users to upgrade to an ipod?
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  3.    #3  
    A Palm version of iTunes would be great. And why not iTunes is cross platform.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    If PalmOne were to include iTunes on every single device, wouldn't you expect a few users to upgrade to an ipod?
    This does make a lot of sense. But I doubt it will happen until their deal with Real (if exclusive) is done.
    I anticipate Palm distributing the portable version of iTunes about the same time that Motorolas start coming out - maybe a month or two after.

Apple has many partners already in their digital music venture - like BMW and Alpine. And now of course we see that licensing is also starting to take off - first HP and now Motorola.

Soon I would think Palm.

Palm already has a history of working with Apple. Heck, that group of hardware engineers that left Apple back in 1990 - they started Palm from the ground up. They even bought the desktop software from Apple. So everything was kind of born, or spawned, from Apple. Through my eyes, they would be the next logical place to go for licensing because I just don't see Apple developing a Treo like device (probably a handheld thin client in a couple months though - you heard it here first ).
  6.    #6  
    iTunes may come to the Palm, but don't look for Apple branded handheld, it's not going to happen. Jobs just recently said so. I'll try to find the link.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    </body>
    On the other hand, a person could look at it like Apple was kinda forced into this Motorola deal. Let me try and explain the angle.

Real reverse-engineers Apple's FairPlay technology to allow their songs to play on the iPod too – which is pretty cheap and dirty, they just want to cash in on all the iPod hype. Go find your thing Real, geez.

Apple may have been cool with that because it would be good for iPod sales in the end, I would think. BUT, Real then goes on and announces their intentions of licensing this reverse-engineered software technology to others. So now it boils down to Real selling another companies intellectual property.

The first step Apple takes is to rush out a deal late Monday night with Motorola in which they trump Real by getting Motorola to distribute iTunes on their phones as standard software where just months before Real was to be the main music software for the phones.

Why can't Palm have companies like this fighting over their products.
    Quote Originally Posted by imageone
    iTunes may come to the Palm, but don't look for Apple branded handheld, it's not going to happen. Jobs just recently said so. I'll try to find the link.
    I'm talking something like a portable dummy terminal - maybe a cross between a Treo and a tablet, both in size and functionality. Something we can take with us around the house (or where ever we have a base machine to relate to) to use in any fashion we need.

I am just looking at trends through my own eyes though and probably totally off-base.

But yeah, I agree, it won't happen in the sense that we think of handhelds today.
  9.    #9  
    Motorola posts iTunes announcement video
    http://www.motorola.com/content/0,,2645,00.html
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    </body>
    Further thoughts on Apple’s Mobile iTunes coming to the Treo

Phones are becoming smarter and smarter, even the average Joe consumer phones are being drug into the multi-purpose gadget group. Sometimes, these added features are welcomed by the providers because it intrigues people and causes them to use more air time. Many providers do not have a song download system in place but would love to because it means people would be paying($$$) for the download time.

Apple’s probable proposition:
    Why not just use/license our proven system (Apple’s iTunes Music Store) and we can save you from spending the millions of dollars for development and the year or so of development time. We will charge x amount and give you a huge cut. How can we do this you ask? Look at these numbers. We currently charge 99 cents a song. Customers are currently paying $3-$4 dollars a song at ringtone download sites. We are going to make a killing. Because they will flock to our lower pricing scheme of $2 and you will make a dollar on every song sold by doing nothing except distributing our Mobile iTunes application on your subsidized phones. Oh, and people will be using your service more too because they love to have songs as ringtones. See, these figures here from the Yankee group. They say that $2.3 billion was spent in the cellphone ringtone market in 2003. It is dramatically increasing this year, and next year it will be even bigger because these lemmi… I mean… customers love this stuff. Instant gratification is great.

OK, so where does this leave Apple. Well, it further cements their lead in digital music and its software. And if there are consumers that are more frugle they may turn to the desktop software for purchasing the songs at the normal price of 99 cents then sync that to their phone - which means Apple hardware may eventually be involved. That Apple hardware could be the purchase of an iPod, or Airport Express or... maybe even a new Macintosh.

Where does this leave Palm and the Treo. I'm not completely sure but it's just another thought that would seem to dictate a version of iTunes eventually making it's way to a Treo near you.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Does anyone really think that Palm One is going to be given a licence to use iTunes after they dropped all their support Palm on the Mac? Have you forgotton that we now have to rely on thrid party offerings to sync anything other than isync to ical and address book? I am still pissed at them for that one.

One the other hand, maybe this plays staight into the hands of Apple, giving them an even stronger position with their own products over the competition (especially Entourage)...... Perhaps they will be happy to strengthen their offering by only allowing syncing between iTunes Palm and iTunes via iSync? But will they be happy about helping in cannabalising their profits on the ipods that palm users may not buy? The real question here is will Palm users buy more or less ipods and be more or less loyal to Apple if they can use iTunes on their Palm?

Or maybe the real question is..... have Motorola put something in the contract to say that Apple can't licence their technology to another mobile phone provided for at least a certain period after they launch? You can't expect that they would want to spend money licensing a technology to get an advantage in the industry, just to see Nokia or SE do the same a week later.

Of course, I could just be talking crap....

Thoughts and opinions please....

=========================
    Brother can you smell the envy
    Everybody wants to be like you,
    And the ones who don't, well f*ck 'em, and you do
    I actually posted about this last week or whenever it was that the server went down. My post got lost in the crash so I am writing more and putting it up here.

Apple realizes that smart phones that play music could potentially take away from iPod sales. That is one reason for the Motorola deal, to get a jump on this happening. The deal will put Motorola phone users in touch with iTunes and the iTMS in order to get their music. So now what will become of Apple’s iPod? They will continue with incremental upgrades but I suspect that won’t be enough because competitors will be doing that too.

Apple needs to do something to make the iPod more attractive that competitors will not be able to do.

Apple needs to strengthen their offering. Apple needs to create a product that people will need and more importantly, WANT. Something that will work with, and maybe – at times – depend on the iPod; something that will not be in the same category as a Treo (for reasons I won’t get into now). Maybe... knowing that the Treo sucks as a remote control (as do many phones), they could introduce a handheld thin client that would act as a remote in conjunction with an Airport device and even mirror your desktop, but maybe also interface with an iPod for content. Essentially, this would allow for many portable and wireless capabilities between the two devices that would be powered by each other’s respective batteries (you have TWO batteries working for you); maybe kind of like a wireless dock/hub that you can take with you – only with a screen.

I’ll let you imagine the possibilities.

You know, its interesting to me though that 10.3.5 has remote Bluetooth capabilities built in. It’s also interesting that iSync 1.5 only supports syncing with Motorola phones via USB cable, EVEN IF THEY HAVE BLUETOOTH (pretty lame). It’s ALSO interesting that Apple has stopped selling iPods and iPod minis with the wired remote that went with the headphones!?!

If they can expand the iPod and iTunes market while at the same time expanding their capabilities exclusive to the Mac platform, they will do it. They can’t do it with Nokia now because they just went with Loudeye. Steve Jobs will not work with Sony, to say nothing of their pointed jabs at the iPod and false marketing stats of their digital walkman device in comparison to Apple’s iPod. That leaves Palm, Samsung(some of which are Palm based) and Siemens. Who would you choose?

Dixter, I think you’re probably right about Motorola not wanting to let Apple partner with another manufacturer (like Palm) to soon after the release. They will want to reap as much as possible from their R&D.
    Oh! And we now have a pretty good idea that Apple will not be bringing the iTMS songs (AAC DRM) to the PocketPC phones based on the Rolling Stones article this month.
    Apple announced another mobile partnership with Sprint today. Sprint has certified Apple’s QuickTime & Xserve G5 for PCS Vision – exclusively, as far as I can tell.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=56560
    http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040826/sfth008_1.html
    I might add here that iTunes, AAC songs and the Digital Rights Management that goes with them are all handled by QuickTime so we're getting closer.
    The Motorola ROKR (iTunes compatible) phone is due this Thursday (finally).

Oh, and we now know the Sony Ericcson phones are going with Sony Connect. Not many manufacturers left now to latch onto a digital music service! Well, except for PalmOne. They should be ready to partner up with someone in the next 5, maybe 6 years! That is assuming they are still in business.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Quote Originally Posted by imageone
    I'm talking something like a portable dummy terminal - maybe a cross between a Treo and a tablet, both in size and functionality. Something we can take with us around the house (or where ever we have a base machine to relate to) to use in any fashion we need.

I am just looking at trends through my own eyes though and probably totally off-base.
    Apple was awarded a patent for a mini handheld tablet today.
    Susan Cross, Product Marketing Manager for Sony Ericsson, heavily hinted that iTunes Mobile was coming to select SonyEricsson phones in the near future.
    Hmmmm...
    here's a little slip in Apple's newest version of iTunes.

http://www.hypnoticnet.com/images/airtunes.jpg

I wonder what this could mean?

Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Apple realizes that smart phones that play music could potentially take away from iPod sales. That is one reason for the Motorola deal, to get a jump on this happening. The deal will put Motorola phone users in touch with iTunes and the iTMS in order to get their music. So now what will become of Apple’s iPod? They will continue with incremental upgrades but I suspect that won’t be enough because competitors will be doing that too.

Apple needs to do something to make the iPod more attractive that competitors will not be able to do.

Apple needs to strengthen their offering. Apple needs to create a product that people will need and more importantly, WANT. Something that will work with, and maybe – at times – depend on the iPod; something that will not be in the same category as a Treo (for reasons I won’t get into now). Maybe... knowing that the Treo sucks as a remote control (as do many phones), they could introduce a handheld thin client that would act as a remote in conjunction with an Airport device and even mirror your desktop, but maybe also interface with an iPod for content. Essentially, this would allow for many portable and wireless capabilities between the two devices that would be powered by each other’s respective batteries (you have TWO batteries working for you); maybe kind of like a wireless dock/hub that you can take with you – only with a screen.

I’ll let you imagine the possibilities.