View Poll Results: Keep your 600 or go for Ace?

Voters
226. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'll happily ditch my 600 and go Ace!

121 53.54%
  • Yes, in fact i'm didn't get a 600 an will go directly to Ace.

11 4.87%
  • Yes, but I'm content with my 600 and will go Ace when my 600 breaks.

75 33.19%
  • No, I love my 600 and see no reason to go Ace.

16 7.08%
  • No, Treos suck!

1 0.44%
  • No, I don't have a 600 now but I'll get it when the price is lower when Ace comes out.

2 0.88%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Most definitly i will ditch the 600 and go ace. The 600 just doesnt do it for me. I want to listen to high quality mp3's and play some various games without lagg (faster processor). I want to play and use some high res games and apps (ex. nesem, firestorm emulator, and multiplayer rifleslugs). I want to ditch the very sad 600 camera and grab a 1.3mp ace. Shoot..... they will probly change out the headphone outlet and use a standard outlet too. The reasons are endless.
    I cant wait to ditch my 600 for the ace. Heck its even thinner too. gosh.
    If I can get one at a decent price, I'll probably move. I'll let the wife inherit my 600. She's still on a 180

Hey, I gotta justify it to her somehow

;-)
    If it includes Hi-Res, Wi-Fi or Bluetooth with support for BT-enabled wireless headsets, they have my $$$. Of course I want it to have all 3, but I'm hoping for at least 2 of those 3. Oh and while I'm here it also better have a functional interface for handling call-waiting and native support for voice-dialing!
    My wife and I will get the Ace. We will keep our current Treos for standbys as they perform well in our line of work. The possible new features of the Ace make it THE device we must have.
    Ibrahim B.

Kyo PDQ - Kyo 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo -650 (2) & now the Palm Pre. Will keep my BB World Phone Sprint
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I like treo. of all the features I have seen so far, bluetooth and possible support of the fast data connection are most attractive.

the hi res screen will be nice, but I am still pretty much a traditional pda user, who uses the datebook, todo, memo and email the most. for text functions, the most important thing is larger screen, not high resolution (i may change my mine after I see the new screen, but at this time it is not at the top of wish list).

of course, I have to justify for ace to my wife, so even if I want to get it, I would still wait until my 600 have a really bad 'accident'.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Writing this from my T600. It depends on a lot of things. First off, if I have a job by the time the Ace comes out. If not, no can do, even if I get a upgrade price.

Let's say I get the job...Then comes upgrade price. If it's $399, proabably. $299 or lower, yes. there's the Ace itself. If it comes with 32 megs, No. If 64 megs yes.

Next up: Wi-fi capable either internal or via SD card slot, yes. If not, no way. I could go either way with Bluetooth.

Next up: wireless service providers. If the Ace is compatible with next generation data service (Sprint and Verizon) AND compataiblity with that rumored Vonage VoIP client, YES! If Ace is backwards compatible with current data services, yes. If the next gen speed data service costs a wee bit more, might do it. If I get
    next gen service with Sprint with same $15 per month, oh yeah.

Next up: firmware and software patches in conjunction with ThB car kits. If both can't work from day one of release, will wait till they get it right.

Everything else I'm open to. Example: Would be cool if the Ace ringer on/off switch was backlit.

###
    Here's my GSM ACE "wish list":

1. premium camera ( > 1.3 mega pixels, flash, zoom, etc.)
    2. nextgen data (ideally UMTS but at least EDGE)
    3. wifi
    4. improved form factor (smaller, lighter, SD card ejection problem fixed)

Even if only EDGE and the form factor are included it's going to be awfully tough to resist ACE.

I'll be watching carefully, however, for credible info of what's on the horizon post-Ace. If any of following - UMTS, wifi, better camera - are not too far off (say within 6 months) then I'll probably try to hold out.
    Off to iPhone land...
  8.    #28  
    If it's the same 1.2MP camera as the Zire 72... Haha. Not that much of an improvement, just double the size of Treo pictures. (Okay technically 4x larger).

My real main concern is that despite all these upgrades, the battery life remain the same. That is a must. As a PDA, a day of usage before recharging might be acceptable, but not on something that is an essential communications device as well.
    i know even if only a few of the problems are fixed i will still get it because i am a right sucker for treos i just cant get enough of them
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Being on a two-year contract with Rogers, I would suffer a $10-a-month penalty for the duration if I jumped to a new device. As I understand Rogers, there would be no special inducement to existing Treo 600 owners to upgrade. That $10 would have to be added to the initial capital cost spread over 24 months of $25 + insurance and taxes, whereas after 24 months all that is free for a device that is perfectly satisfying! ("Casing" it on one's person being another matter.)
    Since I plan on getting $549 off my ACE through Best Buys PSP. Hell yes I will upgrade!!!

But I only really care about the screen.
    Although there is no mention of a flash, I am holding onto hope that there will be one on the Ace.
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Galahad
    Being on a two-year contract with Rogers, I would suffer a $10-a-month penalty for the duration if I jumped to a new device. As I understand Rogers, there would be no special inducement to existing Treo 600 owners to upgrade. That $10 would have to be added to the initial capital cost spread over 24 months of $25 + insurance and taxes, whereas after 24 months all that is free for a device that is perfectly satisfying! ("Casing" it on one's person being another matter.)

You mean to tell me that they charge you just to change phones, even if you still stay with their service? Man, that's pretty lame.

I remember years ago, complaining about Bell Atlantic, who used to restart your one year contract every time you switched phones. But Cingular has never given me any trouble for switching anything at any time, even when I was still under contract, which is why I guess I'm still with them after three years.

What should they care, as long as you continue to pay them for service?

As far as the ACE goes, I'd love to think that I'll be able to resist, but chances are, I'm going to upgrade regardless. Bluetooth would probably be the main feature I'm after, folllowed by the hires screen.

Unless they don't offer any kind of upgrade deal directly through Palm One, as Handspring always did. I refuse to sign away one or two years of my life to a phone company just to save a couple of hundred bucks. And I'm not too keen on spending $500 or $600 on a new phone when the one I have is fairly capable. So if they give us $299 or even $399 for a limited time with T600 serial number, I'll probably order on the first day it's released for Cingular.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
  14.    #34  
    Hey Galahad, after two years with Rogers, they give you a 12 month discount for the pre-hardware upgrade program. I still had 15 months on my contract but I was only charge $30 for the pre-hardware upgrade. Total, $600 + $30 + $35 + 2 years of my money. LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by nchargreed
    Although there is no mention of a flash, I am holding onto hope that there will be one on the Ace.
    here here! of all the things on my wish list, if i could only choose one it would probably be a good flash. i would definitely take a good flash over an improvement in photo quality.
    Off to iPhone land...
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Nguyen
    Hey Galahad, after two years with Rogers, they give you a 12 month discount for the pre-hardware upgrade program. I still had 15 months on my contract but I was only charge $30 for the pre-hardware upgrade. Total, $600 + $30 + $35 + 2 years of my money. LOL.
    That's good. Just wondering if you were upgrading your services, too. It seems a bit early to go pre-hardware, tho.
  17.    #37  
    well July is the earliest date I would be willing to get a Treo Ace, provided it's out by then. I don't mind renewing with Rogers each time because I'm an extremely happy Rogers customer.
    There weren't quite enough options in the poll to handle my case.

Unless I unexpectedly move between now and April when my contract expires with Sprint, I will need to buy a new phone when I switch.

I've become pretty happy with Sprint's plan/pricing, as long as I'm not home where the phone doesn't work too well.

So, by the time I do switch, the Ace may be available with the other company. It will just depend on what company has an affordable plan.

Or, I may just punt, and do like a coworker does. Get a bluetooth palm and bluetooth phone. It seems like I still carry my old Dell arround for the larger, higher res screen, anyway.
    I'm going Ace day one. Tethering via BT has been a feature I've wanted for so long that I almost switched to Cingular and ordered an S/E K700 before my Sprint contract expired. I hate hunting for free wifi hotspots, and refuse to pay $30-40 a month to hang out in more ubiquitous cafes with wifi. Now I'll be able to connect my laptop anywhere without taking the Ace out of its case.

One of the biggest problems I've had with the Treo's camera, which doesn't seem to bother anyone else, is the short focal length of the lens, which I presume is something like 28mm. This means that you have to be very close to your subject to take a decent picture. The cutsheet on the Ace mentions zoom capability, so I expect a 50mm setting will be offered, at least in VGA mode. I also hope P1 fixes the blue noise problem this time around (likely -- the eyemodule2 was a vast improvement over the original model in this regard).

There's not much to add about the upgrade in screen resolution -- it can only be a positive step forward unless the battery life takes a substantial hit. Viewing PDFs, Office docs, and photos at 160 x 160 is pretty unsatisfying, and I seriously doubt that before long new apps will support low res.

Everything else, like video capture, is icing on the cake.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    agreed... as of right now, it's hard enough to find skins for the various launcher programs or even for pocket tunes that support the 160x160 resolution of the Treo600. I plan on getting a Logitech BT keyboard & mouse for my computer and the Logitech supports pairing other devices with their BT module. So the Ace would be nice there, being able to transfer files and whatnot over the BT connection instead of using the cradle all the time. Plus a BT headset would be nice. Better camera, hi-res screen, too? Yeah, I'll be making the jump as soon as quickly after their release as possible. I also like the keypad layout of the ace better. It now has dedicated send/end buttons. Supposedly the keys are softer and more rounded as well. Perhaps the SD card reader will be faster as well?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast