Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The main thing that's holding me back is the lack of the push-to-talk "walkie-talkie" feature.

I know this Treo "Ace" probably won't have it, but maybe if I wait... (lol)

I mean - how realistic is that? Will the other carriers *ever* provide NEXTEL-like instant comms?

I'll be really bummed if I jump ship from NEXTEL and get the T610, only to find the T620 comes out with it.

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Thats the only thing that Nextel has going for them. I had them for a year, their phone selection is horrible along with the prices you pay for them. GSM is so much better especially if you decide to change carriers, you dont need to change phones. Anyway, I have heard discussions about PTT being available sometime in the future, although Verizon offers it now on their network, just not with the T600. Do a search on it in this forum to see what comes up, also read this article...it may help

http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2003/1110kodiaenter.html

rob
    Considering that at least AT&T plans now have unlimitied mobile-to-mobile that don't count against your minutes, what is the benefit of PTT versus just calling someone out of speed dial?
  4.    #4  
    What benefit?

A terrible LOT.

Its great. The PTT is not a "phone call" - its just in and out. No formalities. Its really great and I wince at the thought of losing that capability.

I've talked to someone in Nextel management - they said other carriers have ptt, but its not the same as nextel's under one second performance. They're in the 7 to 15 sec range.

Can anyone verify that?
    I've heard that Sprint's readylink is generally faster than Verizon's version, but not by much. Both require a period of time to connect initially, then things are fairly fast. I don't know much about GSM offerings, but I suggest you ask around at howardforums.com as in the providers respective forums. You're likely to get a better array of answers about PPT.

Good luck in finding what you need.
    The real question is when will the different carriers PTT be able to interoperate with each other. I need to be able to use my Sprint Treo Ace with PTT to contact a Nextel or ATT colleague on PTT.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jjennings
    The real question is when will the different carriers PTT be able to interoperate with each other. I need to be able to use my Sprint Treo Ace with PTT to contact a Nextel or ATT colleague on PTT.
    That is what is called "a phone call." Intercarrier PTT will never happen.

I am sorry, but I still don't get this PTT thing. I actually find it very annoying when other people are using it. It is loud and distracting and I don't know about you, but I prefer that other people NOT hear both sides of my entire conversation.
    Jeff
    PTT is not for everybody. I am in a management position in an industry that is embedded with Nextel PTT - suppliers, customers, internal site managment. PTT has become a part of the culture. And for those that don't know, it can be used without the "speaker", so the call is not overheard.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jjennings
    PTT is not for everybody. I am in a management position in an industry that is embedded with Nextel PTT - suppliers, customers, internal site managment. PTT has become a part of the culture. And for those that don't know, it can be used without the "speaker", so the call is not overheard.
    I didn't know that it could be used without the speaker. It seems that no one who use it does either.
    Jeff
    FWIW - We've tested all of the PTT from the major vendors. Even the AT&T version, which never actually launched. ReadyLink was a close second behind Nextel, though there was latency as the signal is digital. Verizon launched WAY too early and their implementation was...**** poor at best.

Keep in mind, however, that with Nextel being booted out of the 800Mhz spectrum, they've got their work cut out for them over the next few years. And all you folks with Nextel right now will need to get new equipment to operate at their newly assigned frequencies in the 1.9Ghz band...
    Quote Originally Posted by NXTLwants2quit
    The main thing that's holding me back is the lack of the push-to-talk "walkie-talkie" feature.

I know this Treo "Ace" probably won't have it, but maybe if I wait... (lol)

I mean - how realistic is that? Will the other carriers *ever* provide NEXTEL-like instant comms?

I'll be really bummed if I jump ship from NEXTEL and get the T610, only to find the T620 comes out with it.

let me help u with this choice...LEAVE NEXTEL!!!!!!!!!! i was with nextel for 3 years, my own business accout with 14 phones. feb. 2004 i switched to sprint treo. I HAVE BEEN HAPPY WITH THE EQUIPMENT SINCE!!! i still have 8 nextel active. if u need to Direct connect folks keep a nextel for that only.

i dont own a landline My treo is my organizer, fast fullblown internet, fast txt messages, pop3 emails, games(monopoly), i keep accounting books on a 1 GB sd card, & i listen Mp3 while on the DC metro.

& the 7pm nites, pcs to pcs & the rate plans beats free incoming anyday.

when the new ace comes out sell the old one on ebay to offset the cost.
    ohio state SUCKS!! & michigan state will never measure up!
    p.s. lakers SUCK too!! GO PISTONS!!
  12. dhh
    Indicator - Can you tell us where we could get more information on Nextel being booted out of the 800Mhz spectrum? I wasn't aware of that happening. Thanks.
    This is what I understand from an NPR report:

They are getting booted off because of interference with police and fire communications in various cities (minor detail) .

:-)

Remember that Nextel is basically a trunked two-way system taken to the next level. Their beginnings are more in the walkie-talkie world than in the cellular world.

They reached an agreement in order to avoid being charged for changing of frequencies and equipment for a large number of police and fire departments in many municipalities. So basically the users are paying by having to replace their personal equipment.
  14.    #14  
    this nextel guy I was speaking with said that nextel was offering to the us govt to move out of the 800 spectrum - which causes interference on govt emergency freqs - in return, nextel wants part of another spectrum. Which, of course, is hotly contested by the other carriers.

Thats as far as I know.

But still, I sure would like the Treo - with PTT. It'll be hard to walk away from. I've still got 9 mos or so on my plan w/ nextel.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    this nextel guy I was speaking with said that nextel was offering to the us govt to move out of the 800 spectrum - which causes interference on govt emergency freqs - in return, nextel wants part of another spectrum. Which, of course, is hotly contested by the other carriers.

Thats as far as I know.

But still, I sure would like the Treo - with PTT. It'll be hard to walk away from. I've still got 9 mos or so on my plan w/ nextel.
    There was a rumor that the Ace was going to have PTT. See this thread: http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...hlight=Ace+PTT
    Jeff
    I have to admit I just don't get it either. Don't you still have to look up the person in your list of contacts to dial them just like when making a phone call? Then doesn't it still "ring" on the other end waiting for the person to pick up just like a phone call? So, I just don't see how it's any faster. Plus, I don't believe it's full duplex like a phone meaning only one person can talk at a time like a walkie-talkie? This just doesn't sound like a plus to me. Please let me know if I'm wrong.

Don C
    DON C...

Your not wrong or rite. i wasnt willing to give up the walkie-talkie at first. they say "direct connect gets u rite through." thats BS! cause if they are on the phone or in direct connect u dont get through. same as a regular call. some folks think they are saving on there minutes by using it. but their rate plans are so high after taxes are applied, "THERE IS NO SAVINGS." the walkie-talkie toy is not enough reason to stay with nextel. only people with high volume of incoming calls should stay.
    ohio state SUCKS!! & michigan state will never measure up!
    p.s. lakers SUCK too!! GO PISTONS!!
    What benefit?

A terrible LOT.

Its great. The PTT is not a "phone call" - its just in and out. No formalities. Its really great and I wince at the thought of losing that capability.

I've talked to someone in Nextel management - they said other carriers have ptt, but its not the same as nextel's under one second performance. They're in the 7 to 15 sec range.

Can anyone verify that?
    Sprint PTT, in my opinion, is a ripoff of Nextel. It is nowhere near the same thing, although it purports to be. I left Nextel to move to the Treo (thinking "who needs PTT") and just moved back to Nextel, purchasing the new i710. You will be very disappointed if you leave Nextel. If you need a PDA, buy a Dell Axim. Otherwise, convergence is not yet ready for prime time.
  19.    #19  
    jglev - interesting. would be "nice" to have this feature. I'm just leery that once I commit to the 610, it doesn't have it, then whatever comes next (the treo "deuce"? lol) has PTT. I'd be miffed. Well, maybe I could just sell the ace on ebay...

wolverine - i've got the free-incoming - but only cuz nextel doesn't have high hour rates (1k or 2k). they do, but they're not competitive rates. but i'm on the PTT w/ my wife a *lot* so it would be hard to walk away.

I saw a treo today - a client had one. I started asking about it. Apparently its not easy to bounce back and forth between "data mode" (internet). He's with cingular and said it costs per kb. once he's on, its hard to get the green arrow icon to disappear. he resets etc, but it stays on. Makes him nervous because he thinks its charging him. So he doesn't do much on the internet.
  20.    #20  
    and to don -

i've only got one "contact" in PTT - my wife

So, its pretty easy - I select PRVT mode (one button push) and press-to-talk. Her unit beeps, mine beeps (that's our signal to listen up), when she's ready, she beeps me back, I start talking.

On hers, its even easier. She's got a newer model. She just presses the button, I get beeped. Pretty straight forward.

You don't want to keep alot of people's PTT info. And I'm *sure* you don't want a lot of people to have yours. KISS principle, you know?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast