Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    This is an interesting thread. A few things about Nextel:

Nextel is causing interference not only with government freqs in the 800 Mhz band but also with utility frequencies. I am an engineer for an electric utility and we use 800 Mhz multiple address radio systems to run remote monitoring and control (SCADA) of our electrical substations. It would cost bazillions of $$$$ for Nextel to also move all of the electric utilities using the 800 Mhz band off it. All that said, Nextel has their work cut out for them there.

Regarding the PTT functionality, that is used a lot in our business to communicate with the various contractors we have working on our system who trim trees, perform line construction and maintenance activities, and other specialty contractors. It is a godsend to be able to communicate with them as it supplies a common communications means for many different companies. Its great to be able to talk RIGHT NOW with them, no email or leaving voicemails. In the electric utility business we can't stand communication delays.

So....if you have a real need to talk RIGHT NOW, the PTT functionality is a good thing and Nextel has the lowest latency in their network but don't have the converage that Verizon has....and Verizon has PTT but has more latency.

If you don't need PTT then don't pay for it. Go with the Treo and the carrier of your choice. I am with Cingular and love my Treo and the functionality all rolled into one device. Good luck.
    I believe that Nextel's PTT causes communication delays. When I had it I was constantly having to check my voice mail because while some long winded SOB was using PTT ALL of my other calls went straight to voice mail. Not only that but they also didn't show up in caller ID as missed, so if they didn't leave a voice mail (which alot of people I know depend on Caller Id instead of leaving messages) I never even knew they tried to call. I was SOOOOOOOOOOO glad to get rid of PTT.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    You are in love with PTT for 1 person usage. That is a riot. Go to Sprint, you get unlimited data for $15 a month, so you dont need to worry abou the green arrows staying on, also I have no problems switching from voice to data and back. Just get a Treo and the PCS-PCS plan and you will be set. Although 1000 minutes for 54.99 is a hella good deal.
  4.    #24  
    thx for the input everyone - really, you're very helpful

Just called Sprint this AM seems like they're probably the better deal. The unltd data plan also hooks you up to their business solutions - which somehow hooks you up to your own computer (would like to know how that works...) And, for $5 more you get the unltd roaming other carrier's networks. How can you go wrong?

???

Just gotta let the Nextel plan expire, then Treo - here I come!
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Hope it works out for you. Keep in mind that if you travel out of the country, Sprint is not the way to go. I had sprint at one time and hated them. This was during their nationwide upgrade and had major problems in the middle of it. I couldnt even get one of my phones activated for 10 days. So I finally said uncle and called it quits. Anyway, I am sure they are better now.

Good luck

rob
    Quote Originally Posted by NXTLwants2quit
    I've talked to someone in Nextel management - they said other carriers have ptt, but its not the same as nextel's under one second performance. They're in the 7 to 15 sec range.

Can anyone verify that?
    That's BS... I have a couple VM4500 RL phones on Sprint and the delay is actually about 2-5 sec average max, not 7-15. It may be that long on Verison etc, but not on Sprint. Of course, it's not as fast as Nextel, but better than reported...

As to the utility of PTT, the major advantage IMO is the ability to link and broacast over to a large number of phones simutaneosly. You can't do that any other way via voice other than PTT.

Finally, the rumor that the Ace may have RL is purely and solely based on the comments of Starwulfe who is a widely known and knowledgeable poster over at hofo's. However, he himself stated that this was purely speculation, so who knows. It might be of interest that there is a rumor that the Ace would support 1xEvDo too!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    As a Sprint ReadlyLink user my key frustration has been reliability. When the Vision network isn't available neither is ReadyLink. They also had an annoying habit of placing the phone in "click here to proceed" mode after any error while attempting to register with Sprint.

It's a good 1.0 shot at PTT though I don't think it's reliable enough for businesses to use. The pricing is way out of line as well since PCS-PCS is $5 versus $15 for RL.
    Quote Originally Posted by NXTLwants2quit
    thx for the input everyone - really, you're very helpful

Just called Sprint this AM seems like they're probably the better deal. The unltd data plan also hooks you up to their business solutions - which somehow hooks you up to your own computer (would like to know how that works...) And, for $5 more you get the unltd roaming other carrier's networks. How can you go wrong?

???

Just gotta let the Nextel plan expire, then Treo - here I come!
    I think the business solution you're talking about is Sprint PCS Business Connections. It lets you sync Outlook with your PDA wireless. You need to run the software on both your PC and PDA and you need to leave Outlook open on your PC.

I think Sprint also offer Goodlink but I'm not familiar with it.

Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by jglev
    I am sorry, but I still don't get this PTT thing. I actually find it very annoying when other people are using it. It is loud and distracting and I don't know about you, but I prefer that other people NOT hear both sides of my entire conversation.
    Amen! So friggin obnoxious to be in a store or restaurant with someone carrying on their 2 way conversation. Talking on the cell phone in a restaurant is one thing -- PTT'ing is another thing altogether. That is what should be outlawed!

Stepping off my soap-box now....
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I tend to agree, the thought of having PTT has never appealed to me in the slightest.
    Unless you're a plumber or an electrician or something (and need reelaible PTT for business usage) , I cant' really understand why anyone would use NexTel.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12