1.    #1  
    This is my "push" email solution. I have been using it for a few month and it work perfectly. It requires an always in internet connection and $19.99. There is an amazing little program called Versa Forward http://www.versaforward.com/ . Its been discussed here before if you do a search. It polls your pop or imap account as often as you want it to and sends you an SMS when you have an email. But the SMS is not just one that says "you have an email". Versa Forward uses a technique called advanced text reduction which actually sends a good portion of the beginning of the email in the SMS, along with who it is from and the subject. Of course, you still need your email program like Snapper to view the whole email, but at least you get the jest of the email from the SMS. Versa Forward will even get your AOL email for you. It does this every 5-15 minutes. I use it in conjunction with Spamcop.net www.spamcop.net . I have all my email forwarded to Spamcop, then I have Versa Forward monitor Spamcop every 5 minutes. You can do it more often if you like, but my email isnt that urgent. If there is an email I need, I have Snapper configured to get it from my Spamcop account. This way, only legit mail get thru and no spam. My experience with Spamcop is that it blocks about 98% of all spam! Let me know what you think.

Jeff
    Why does this require an always on internet connection?

Does Versaforward run on your desktop? If so there is a similar program called "Email Notify" which does the same thing and it's free.

"E-mail Notify" runs on your desktop and can be set up to check for new POP3 e-mail from every 1 second up to any number of minutes or hours you choose. You can also create your own SMS template so that you decide what "E-mail Notify" includes in the SMS message you are sent. You can select: Sender Name, Sender's E-mail Address, Subject, Time Stamp, Num Messages and Body.

It's a great little app and it runs entirely in the Windows task bar.

http://cws.internet.com/file/11604.htm
  3.    #3  
    Yes, Versa Forward does run on your desktop like Email Notify. If that program works for you then great. Versa Foward has many other features such as scheduling, advanced filtering, and many more features that you can read about on their web site. Plus, the Text Truncation really makes it feel like the email is being sent to you, not just an SMS. Just letting people know what is out there and that it works really good for me, especially with Spamcop. I used to have all my email forwarded to my Sprint email address and then have Sprint send me an SMS that I have email. It was pretty good because it said who the email was from and a little of the subject. But I was getting so much spam that my Treo was going off every 5 minutes. Now that I have Spamcop filter my email, I rarely get spam. Like I said, just my solution.

Jeff
    I do this by forwarding certain messages to a dummy Yahoo account (they have free SMS notifications) then TreoHelper grabs the SMS and launches a SnapperMail fetch. Fastmail.fm's Sieve scripting allows me to control what messages or folders get forwarded, even depending on what time of day/day of week it is received. Nifty.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Jeff, why not have Snapper check your spamcop account every 5 minutes and download the messages? I'm not sure why you would get the SMS, then download the message. I use Agendus Mail to fetch mail every 10 minutes form my accounts. I don't see the advantage with your solution. Sure, you get the SMS notify, but that is just an extra step.

Mike
    Polling for mail every 5 minutes would destroy your battery and cause most of your phone calls to go straight to voicemail. The method I described automates the whole process, all you get is a notification from SnapperMail that new mail has been downloaded.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    It doesn't destroy my battery life at all, mine does this all day (between the hours of 8am and 6pm) and I still have plenty left when I get home.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by kazinvan
    Jeff, why not have Snapper check your spamcop account every 5 minutes and download the messages? I'm not sure why you would get the SMS, then download the message. I use Agendus Mail to fetch mail every 10 minutes form my accounts. I don't see the advantage with your solution. Sure, you get the SMS notify, but that is just an extra step.

Mike
    I can usually get the jest of the email from the SMS using the Text Truncation feature. That way, I dont have to tie up my phone polling for messages or ruin my battery life. Just read that Chatter is coming out with an Email only program. I used the full program and it was excellent except for the 80% battery drain. If the Email only program doesnt use as much battery, that is the best solution for all of us!
    SMS to trigger polling... Why? IMAP IDLE is the way to go. Don't poll if there's nothing there - when the server tells you that there's mail go and get get it. Chatter is the solution.

Dunc
    Jeff,
    Does your solution allow for the opening of attachments(excel, PDF, Word)? I am considering buying a Treo 600 and have not been able to determined how attachment retrieval works.
    Chatter simply drains the battery too much for me but I believe the problem is actually Sprint's. When you go in an area with poor signal quality it sucks your battery if a data connection is kept open by an application. Other people on Sprint have noticed this too. Some days my battery was at 30% after only 8 hours!

The SMS to autofetch works for me since I can filter it on the server to send me only time sensitive emails, and poll or fetch manually for everything else. Best of all it leaves me with enough battery life to stream audio and still make it through the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    Why does this require an always on internet connection?

Does Versaforward run on your desktop? If so there is a similar program called "Email Notify" which does the same thing and it's free.

"E-mail Notify" runs on your desktop and can be set up to check for new POP3 e-mail from every 1 second up to any number of minutes or hours you choose. You can also create your own SMS template so that you decide what "E-mail Notify" includes in the SMS message you are sent. You can select: Sender Name, Sender's E-mail Address, Subject, Time Stamp, Num Messages and Body.

It's a great little app and it runs entirely in the Windows task bar.

http://cws.internet.com/file/11604.htm

Email Notify is an awesome piece of freeware that interestingly was specifically created by the Developer to work with a Treo using sms-triggered pull via snappermail+Treohelper! Here's the dev site below for a direct download!

http://www.dogspots.com/emailnotify/

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  13.    #13  
    Well, Email Notify looks like a good solution also. I'm going to stick with Versa Forward because of the numerous options it has and the fact that a lot of the body of the email is sent with the SMS. Plus, I already paid for it!!!

Jeff
    I currently use this setup but I keep running into a problem. I like to be notified of new email via vibrate and a beep but due to my work environment and the weak vibrate of the Treo I don't always hear or feel it. So when I happen to go look at my phone and see if have email waiting and acknowledge it, Treohelper immediately launches Snapper to get more mail (once the alarm message comes up, Snapper can't run until it is acknowledged). Does anyone know how to get an alert that you have new mail without it tying up the Treo from getting more mail???? I thought Butler could fix this, but I haven't had any luck getting it to alert me of new emails.

Thanks in advance for any help...

GM
    I have gotten true "push" email through Sprint, by disabling--yes, disabling--the notification from SMS. I set my PC at work to have Microsoft Outlook check for e-mails every minute. Then I set my Treo preferences in business connection for "push" e-mail, and to NOT enable scheduled sync. Now, when I get an e-mail it goes through Outlook at work, gets checked every minute, and gets "pushed" to my Treo within one minute of the e-mail arriving. I found that if you also set an alert through SMS, as soon as you acknowledge the alert, the e-mail is no longer pushed--you have to sync to get it, so don't use SMS for an e-mail alert. If you DO NOT get an SMS alert, or even if you IGNORE the SMS alert, the e-mail gets pushed to your Treo in its entirety. You don't just get a message saying you have e-mail. The whole e-mail appears in your PC Business Connection inbox. Just remember to set Outlook to check every minute for mail. It does nothing to the Treo's battery, because now the Treo is not checking, only your PC is! It's been working fine.
    Wow, I hope this is clear. In short, DON'T use SMS for notification, DO check "push" and DON'T check "enable scheduled sync" in Bus Conn preferences. (Now why didn't I just say that in the first place?)
    I need to use one server name/login/password for incoming mail and a different server name/login/password for outgoing mail. VersaForward does not appear to allow me to do this -- am I missing something, or does another program allow this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DougI
    I need to use one server name/login/password for incoming mail and a different server name/login/password for outgoing mail. VersaForward does not appear to allow me to do this -- am I missing something, or does another program allow this?
    Update: Vermalt Support says: "Yes, VersaForward is designed to do this. You can define another account and not enable that account. Then in the main account that you are checking, check Use Other Account for Sending, then pick the other account."
  18.    #18  
    Doug,

I can confirm that you can do this. I have it set up that way and it works just as you described.

Jeff