Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Look! I'm not here to bash! I've been reading this particular forum since it began. I never needed to post becuase the 'treo heads' discussed' many things for me to solve various problems.

Here it goes! The speaker issue is a SERIOUS problem! Did you hear that die-hard Treo Lovers? (I am a Treo Evangelist myself!!) I proudly display my HandSpring sticker issued with my fisrt Green Visor Deluxe next to my Apple Logo on my Pick-up truck!! But; as hundreds (thousands??) Before me I am waiting on my Third Treo 600. I feel like I'm wasting my time posting here! This has been bickered back and forth on this site since the days of the Treo 180 & 300.
    1st One - Primary phone/ear Speaker fizzled out: Worked from 28 Feb-02May
    2nd One - Primary phone/ear Speaker died. (no indication that it was going to die!) Worked from 24May-26 July.

Something has to be done. Swapping phones with 2 week interval waiting periods is unacceptable! Move to another phone? There is no comparable smartphone! Glorified PDA now? Hmm! Since the main speaker and the headset speaker jack has (again) fizzled out! That's what this device becomes! Of course the back speaker is larger, but damn! Can't it be wired to pick up the slack on the phone call without everybody digging into your convo through the speakerphone!

Look! I appreciate Palm OS and the the design of the Treo 'all-in-function' and style. Heh! I'm a Apple Mac guy! This has got to stop! Recall the damn things! Well... I guess when you swap out phones; that would be part of a recall. Are there a specific series of serial #s, batches that are blacklisted 'as' or 'will be' defective??

Hey! I'm good at modding things. Has anybody identified the specs of this ear speaker, wire and chip (if any)? There must be another speaker subsytem that I can re-wire into the expensive phone/PDA.

Now,I'll guess I'll sit back and watch the line of responses from Guys and Gals who will state that: "they never had a problem like this"; "I have bad luck"; "It's an isolated case"; "I should be more careful with an expensive device like this"; "How I love my Treo"; "Submit and swap=Happiness!" Etc. Come, on!

The USA & possibly many other countries in the world must have some sort of 'Better Business Bureau or Consumer Watch org. to file petitions about PalmOne's 'shoddiness'.

Someone suggested that body fluids may be creeping into the phone orafice such as perspiration, oils or chemicals such as colognes/parfums and hair products. Chemical reaction may cause short out! That's funny! I guess that is why the microph. orafice is located slightly in the back of the phone. I guess this was figured to hide it from the daily shower of another body fluid called 'saliva'. LOL

So.... can we get a hardware solution HandSpring (reborn as) PalmOne?
    Visor Deluxe (Green)>Treo 180g>Treo 600 (GSM)*>*Treo 650 (GSM)
    Maybe it's the stream of Hey! and Look! exclamations you use?

Couldn't resist. But my (first) Treo 600 is enroute from Verizon as I write this, so I can't comment about the speaker yet.
    Who is your carrier? Maybe they are swapping your units out with older ones which dont have the phone fixes. The speaker issue you are rightly pissed about is ancient and only seemed to affect early units.
  4.    #4  
    Maybe you're right about 'ancient history'. The Treo 600 I have now was born during the 44th week of 2003. I use T-Mobile but got Treo 600 directly from Palm through upgrade. 2nd one also came from PalmOne. Let's hope the bday of my next replacement is well-within 2004. It seems I got slapped with the dreaded 'refurbished joint'. I'll tell you this! I won't be the last logging about the speaker failure on the phone @ this site.
    Last edited by AfroTreo; 07/29/2004 at 03:34 PM.
    Visor Deluxe (Green)>Treo 180g>Treo 600 (GSM)*>*Treo 650 (GSM)
    I have had my treo from verizon for a week and the speaker is gone. I thought it was a software problem, but now that I read this, I am a little upset because i just got through a series of problems with my Kyocera. Have a lot of people had problems with the speaker? Does Palmone or Verizon acknowledge this problem?
    My Treo 600 has the same speaker problem, but now my speaker phone doesn't even work so no matter what I do I can't hear anything. Not good.
    I finally had to give up on my Treo after almost 4 years (300 -> 600), the phone capabilities were just poor and swapping only worked for awhile. Not to mention the fact that dealing with the Sprint stores was a rare form of torture.

Since I do need portable email (and didn't use most of the Treo's bells and whistles) I was able to make a smooth transition to a Blackberry on Verizon. Using a BT headphone with the Blackberry is a pleasure.... at least my conversations aren't continually interrupted by crackles, dropouts and grouchy people on the other end.

It's taking some getting used to, and I miss my Treo's form factor, but I do not miss the wretched phone and terrible battery life.

Pretty frustrating.

JT
    I had a similar problem with the speaker of my Treo 600, first getting static and then going completely dead. Fortunately, I was able to find a speaker at performancepda.com and I replaced it myself. So far, so good. The replacement is easy. You just have to be patient opening the case. There are two tabs on each side. The lower two did not want to release so I used a small flat screwdriver, being careful to not damage anything inside or crack the case. Those lower tabs are in line with the nav button.
    Switch to Sprint. My 600 is fabulous, it never resets itself, others in my company have Cingular/AT&T 650's that they are constantly shipping out for replacement. a couple of us have Sprint 600's and never have a problem. My 2 year old even introduced mine to Doritos and applesauce, I wiped it down a little, and it is working perfectly. It has to be your service provider.
    I wish I had done a little deeper digging into the "history" of the Treo 600. I purchased one from T-Mobile in August, 2005, and this issue happened to me in October. T-Mobile would only send a "referbed" unit to me. I was leary, but went ahead with it. I received the replacement and shipped the old one back yesterday. Today, THE VERY SAME THING happened with it. They made the gracious offer of upgrading me to a Blackberry for over $260 and a new 1yr contract (I had just renewed the contract in August).

This was just a slap in the face. What amazes me is palmOne has been able to get so many carriers to continue offering this phone for so long without resolving the issue.

Enough venting!

I noticed from another post on the Internet, that the element that is used is 32 ohms. I have been wondering if this issue is related directly with the element failing or if it is with the connection to the element (this would include the external ear piece jack)?

If it is related to the element, it could be replaced with a different "type" of element that would fit into the space of the existing one (would need a manufacturers part number). If it is a connection issue, I was wondering if the connections could be enhanced by wire soldered between the element and the PC borad?

Any suggestions or information that would help engineer a real "fix" to this issue would be deeply appreciated.

tia,
    phil
    Quote Originally Posted by Disapointed
    I had a similar problem with the speaker of my Treo 600, first getting static and then going completely dead. Fortunately, I was able to find a speaker at performancepda.com and I replaced it myself. So far, so good. The replacement is easy. You just have to be patient opening the case. There are two tabs on each side. The lower two did not want to release so I used a small flat screwdriver, being careful to not damage anything inside or crack the case. Those lower tabs are in line with the nav button.
    Thanks for the info! Does the speaker need solder or does it just plug in?
    Last edited by hmbhuss1; 10/31/2005 at 12:24 AM.
    This week, my replacement speaker died a death similar to the first one. I am wondering if my case (with a large magnetic latch) has anything to do with it? The first speaker died about 2-1/2 months after purchasing the case. The second speaker died about 2 months after it was installed.

The magnetic latch is only a fraction of an inch from the speaker. Has anyone else noticed this possible correlation with speaker failure?

To answer your question, the rubber around the speaker simply snaps into place on two small pins molded into the case.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AfroTreo
    Maybe you're right about 'ancient history'. The Treo 600 I have now was born during the 44th week of 2003. I use T-Mobile but got Treo 600 directly from Palm through upgrade. 2nd one also came from PalmOne. Let's hope the bday of my next replacement is well-within 2004. It seems I got slapped with the dreaded 'refurbished joint'. I'll tell you this! I won't be the last logging about the speaker failure on the phone @ this site.

Dude,
    I feel your pain men. My treo 600 gave out on me twice with the speaker issue. I had my first treo600 2 days after it was officially released. It worked for about 4 months and then the speaker gave out. They replaced it with a refurbished 600 and that gave out in 2 months (also speaker related). All I can say is that this is a well know problem. It really helps to have insurance on these things men. And to someone's comment that this might be carrier related...thats totally false! I have had sprint forever and never changed my sevice. My speaker blew out on me with sprint. It's a well known issue with the speaker dying out on the 600. I think they addressed that when making the 650. I called the executive office and complained about my 600 always dying and not being reliable and they sent me a 650. Glad to say I'm happy now. But I definetly understand where you coming from especially if you are someone that uses this phone the way I do (emails, mp3, video's, chatting.......)
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I just took apart a friend's 600 and the solution was very simple in this case - the metal prongs or tabs had gotten bent and were no longer contacting as they should. So I simply bent the tabs out some until there was good contact between the two surfaces. Voila! 600 working again. Try this out before buying a new speaker. Don't bend the prongs/tabs too much though - they're not that strong. I could see where a drop of the phone could easily bend one of these and then you've lost contact and then the sound is gone.

Hope this helps.

Mike
    My wife dropped her Treo 600 and the screen cracked. I swapped Treos with her and then - before I could fix the screen - I dropped it and the sound stopped working - a sporadic key click here or there, an occassional ring for an incoming call but the external and internal speakers were essentially dead. People could hear me but I couldn't hear them - No alarms either.

I opened up the phone, replaced the screen, put it back together - still no sound (I could hope couldn't I).

So I took it apart again and noticed that there are a number of electrical connections between the two halves of the case. For ease of assembly - I assume - none of these connections are hard-wired (either soldered or some kind of connector). They all rely on pressure to hold two metal contacts together. Not a terribly robust way of transferring power. So I did two things.

1) Pulled out a #2 pencil and used the eraser to clean the contacts that I could find.

2) One set of contacts for the external speaker are actually springs. I used a very small screwdriver to stretch these out a little. Some other contacts are flat "springs" - pieces of metal that are bent outward to meet the contact on the other side of the case. I used a small screwdriver to bend these out a bit more. An impact could easily have compressed any of these contacts enough that they would no longer spring back enough to make adequate contact.

Put the case back togther and sound was restored. Hope this helps someone.
    Sorry, missed ginmtb's reply above somehow. So then I'm just confirming his experience... It really does work.
    OK, what if you try that fix and it still does not work?
    What next??
    ^troubleshoot first. Do the other speakers work - wired headset or rear speaker? If they do then your earpiece speaker is faulty - speaker itself or the connection. If you try the unbending prong/spring solution and it still doesn't work, then get a new speaker. From experience, the unbending prong technique worked for me. Good luck.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    I had that speaker issue where my speaker stop working. So I went on ebay and bought a " treo 600 for parts and changed the speaker and my treo works great now. Those things they charge you big bucks to repair, can be easily c hanged-things like ear piece, speaker, mic, vibrating motor.
    pdaparts.com has parts and repair help answers. You can also find some parts on ebay too.
    Are there any pictures of the dis-assembly and which prongs to bend? I just now had this happen (phone speaker doesn't work, rear speaker is fine) on a 2.5 year old treo 600 and i'd like to fix it so I can buy a 700p on my terms, not on an emergency basis.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast