Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Sorry folks, missed the fact there was a new mac only section, so have reposted this:

There are a lot of threads and instructions on how to convert DVD's to work with MMPlayer on the PC with great free (and not so free) software. But has anyone done any of this for the Mac.

The bits I am particularly interested in are converting DVD's to DIVX at a size suitable for MMPlayer and also resizing MPEG's down to a suitable size (I have lots of TV episodes in MPEG format), all in OS X. Also, if anyone knows about playing Real Media files, that would be a big help too...

Thanks
    Dixter

===========================
    I get the feeling I'm just not cut out for this
    Oh strategies, hidden agendas and politics
    But if we can stand before legions of enemies just you and I
    Then I'd gladly put up with this sh*t till the day that I die
    Not sure exactly what your shooting for. Are you wanting to play MPEG files on the Treo?
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Sorry, to clarify, I have some .mpg movies, and would like to play these on my Treo, along with being able to convert my DVD's to play on there as well. MMPlayer will play both of these formats, but the file sizes are the issue.

I also have every episode of a well know "not really kids" cartoon series (featuring a fat kid (like me), a jew (like me also), a poor kid (you guessed it) and Stan (not so much), in Real Media format. I would like to be able to convert these in some way to watch on my Treo.

For the .mpg's I need to reduce the resolution to 160x120 and possibly reduce the frame rates.

For the DVD's i need to rip the DVD'd to DIVX and then reduce the size (res) of the DIVX's.

For the RM's I need to convert them to something MM can play, or find another way of playing them.

I am looking for some help on how I would do this on my Mac, and any ideas on any of the above would be appriciated

Hope that clarify's things

Dixter

===========================
    You choke on happy, drown in joy
    And I want to drink bleach
    I hava a mac and have successfully converted files using DivxRay, but you can also do this with the program ffmpeg. You can get either of these programs via versiontracker. The DivxRay is real easy to use and more expensive (about $30? now), the ffmpeg is more difficult, has a higher learning curve and less expensive, but ffmpeg gives you the greatest control over all of the parameters. Divxray, and ffmpeg I believe also, will only work with vob files, the kind you get from ripping dvds using programs sucha s OSEX or Mactheripper. Therefore you have to use OSEX or Mactheripper (freely available programs), then use Divxray or ffmpeg on the vob files that they create. With Divxray, you can set the file size to be 2-300 mB, big enough to fit on your audio card, set the size of the screen to fit that of the Treo, as well as setting a low audio output, like 32 kbps, so that your SD card does not stutter. With ffmpeg you can do the same thing, and more I am sure, but you need to learn how to use it, as it is complex (and I am too lazy). Actually, Divxray is just a front end gui for ffmpeg. It is a bit of learning to use the ffmpeg without a gui, but once you do, you can consider yourself a Mac video converting expert

I do not know how you can convert REal audio or the other files so that they can be played via mmplayer. Hope this is of help.

One thing I do find though is that after you have done this a few times, it gets a little tedious looking at the tiny tiny movies on your Treo and while it is initially fun, the novelty wears off after a while, at least for me.

good luck!
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Quote Originally Posted by dixter13
    I also have every episode of a well know "not really kids" cartoon series (featuring a fat kid (like me), a jew (like me also), a poor kid (you guessed it)
    Yeah, a poor kid with a $600 phone. All over africa, little kids are praying for a glass of water just so they can spit on you.

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Thank you for the helpful hints.

I went ahead a bought Kinoma and I ahve been really happy with the results. Two minor things:

1. The whole video playback thing will be huge amounts better when they improve the screen (that one is a no brainer).

2. The encoding took forever. I have a g4 550 and was encoding a 421mb mpeg. It is perhaps the longest process I have ever had to run. A complete install of OSX is faster than that. But the results are worth it.

Thank you all for your help.

====================================
    For better televison