1.    #1  
    Hi,

I was thinking of investing the $150 (CAD) to getting the Treo 600 keyboard. I already have the Palm branded Wireless keyboard but I found that it doesn't work as well for my Treo as my old Tungsten T and my girlfriend's Zire 31, so I was thinking of giving the PWK to my g/f and getting the Treo 600 keyboard for myself. I do want to make sure that it is a pretty good product though. Here is my take on the advantages of both.

Palm Wireless Keyboard
    1. 18mm key spacing. Yes, it's just 1mm more than the Treo 600 keyboard, but I had a Logitech before, also with 17mm spacing and there is a difference. The bigger keys mean my hands have an extra 3 mm to not be cramped together.
    2. No lag, my Logitech with default drivers lagged like crazy. Someone did write new drivers for the Logitech so there was no lag anymore, but I expect the default drivers to perform without any lag or slow downs whatsoever.
    3. Can be used with every PalmOS and PPC device with an IR port, other than the fact that it seems less compatible with my Treo 600, the ability to use it with pretty much every single handheld available adds real value to it.

Treo 600
    1. Dedicated number keys. I'm an engineering student who took notes for some of his classes last semester, and having to use the Fn keys to press numbers offset the advantage of the more comfortable spacing.
    2. Ability to charge. I was so surprised how much longer my Treo 600 lasts between charges, I have yet to go under 50%, whereas my Tungsten T would almost be completely drained every single day, but still the ability to charge would make the Treo 600 even more perfect in the battery life department.
    3. More compatible with Treo 600. I'll have to see it when I believe it but I read the reviews and think it's pretty good.

I guess since the Treo keyboard can only be used with the Treo, I'm not concerned about that. I just want some comments on keyboard lag (for PIM purposes, for Documents To Go, and while listening to music), and the smaller key size. I didn't have much of a problem with my Logitech's 17mm keys, but I felt much more comfortable with the PWK's 18mm keys.

Thanks a bunch!
  2.    #2  
    Here's my current Treo 600 with Palm Wireless Keyboard setup now. Although I can't charge my Treo, notice how I use my headphone adapter to keep it upright. I guess this is another concern since I heard from people that the stereo adapter cannot be used with the Treo 600 Portable Keyboard.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I've been pretty happy with my keyboard. There is usually no perceptible lag. The key spacing seems better than other 17 mm keboards I've used. It works well in my lap in the train, which I love. I also like the fact that you can program hotkeys for applications you use regularly. So far, so good. Try buying on eBay (I did) and you should be able to get it for about US $85 including shipping.
    I have liked the Treo 600 keyboard I have (except for the first one being defective). It is pretty much like typing on a laptop, and usually there is very little delay.

I had a wireless one for my Treo 180 and that was a pain because I had to reverse the screen and the flip cover kept getting in the way. And it doesn't work with the Treo 600 anyway.

But, while I was on a trip recently the spacebar quit working all the time. It basicallly worked about every 7th time I pressed it. So I called up and had them send me a replacement. It took about 2 weeks, but now I am using that one with no problems.

-Sim

NoisyGecko
  5.    #5  
    I'm sold! Thanks for your help!
    I am needing some help with my Treo 600 portable keyboard. I have installed the driver and followed the directions including troubleshooting exactly, but alas no joy. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by deliman2964
    I am needing some help with my Treo 600 portable keyboard. I have installed the driver and followed the directions including troubleshooting exactly, but alas no joy. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    I would guess that the keyboard is defective, if you aren't having any other problems with your Treo 600. Of course, if you do ask for a replacement, it will probably take a long time to get it, if it is anything like my situation.

-Sim

NoisyGecko
    I've had mine for about a week absolutely love it... I have had 3 road trips and haven't taken my laptop with me! Yes -- this keyboard, my 600 and Documents to Go along with SnapperMail and I'm set... amazing. No more pulling my laptop out of the case at security checkpoints and no more waiting for Windows 98 (I can hear you laughing!) to boot up! Just turn on the 600 and open the very cool keyboard and I'm typing... Fun stuff.

But -- I'm at a hotel now and just tried plugging in the charger to the little adapter and no charging going on here... Wonder if it's because I'm using a 3rd party charger made for the 600? Bummer... I guess when I get home I'll try it with the OEM charger and see if it works.

A+ for the feel of the keyboard... I can type just as fast on this as a regular laptop. And, you just have to smile when you see this thing open and close!

Barry
    Last edited by raspyni; 09/13/2004 at 07:11 PM. Reason: correction
    Barry Friedman
    Raspyni Brothers
    www.raspyni.com
    SPRINT with a TREO 755p
    i just got one from thinkoutside.com. did you consider their keyboards donald?

i received it today and it works flawlessly. the only dumb thing that ThinkOutside did was send me drivers with it which i could have downloaded anyway. Why dumb? they put a value of $90 for the software which jacked up the duty fees. so i recommend canadian customers to ask thinkoutside NOT to ship the CD's - unless you want all the drivers with you.
    Last edited by rossoneri; 09/20/2004 at 09:32 AM.
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tragic fire on Monday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one...
    Quote Originally Posted by rossoneri
    i just got one from thinkoutside.com. did you consider their keyboards donald?

i received it today and it works flawlessly. the only dumb thing that ThinkOutside did was send me drivers with it which i could have downloaded anyway. Why dumb? they put a value of $90 for the software which jacked up the duty fees. so i recommend canadian customers to ask thinkoutside NOT to ship the CD's - unless you want all the drivers with you.
    did you get the IR version for Treo? how does it work well with you? Also, can you charge the Treo while using the keyboard? and can you listen mp3 via the headphone from the treo while using the keyboard?

also, have you had a chance to use other products from thinkoutside.com? I have a iPaq 2215 and not sure which version of the keyboard i should get. they have some onsales now and see pretty inexpensive for a keyboard. What is the different between ipaq stowaway and ipaq stowaway xt anyway? both of them can be used for iPaq 2215. one seems having bigger space than the other, and the xt is 10 dollars more than the other one.
    you can't charge but you can listen to mp3's. i got the wireless one. i bought the IR one because it is compatible with a lot of PDA's and if i ever consider migrating from the treo 600, i can at least take the keyboard with me.
    as for how the keyboard works - amazing. no lag. however, i do expect lag if you listen to pocket tunes. this is not because of a keyboard flaw but because the treo processor is not fast enough for flawless multi-tasking.
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tragic fire on Monday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one...