1.    #1  
    I'm seeing a bug in my new Verizon Treo where the phone will soft reset if I try to choose "Lookup in Contacts" from the SMS application. Sometimes the phone will just reset immediately when I select that option. Other times it'll reset after I've selected a contact and hit "home" in the SMS application to back out. This is a regular SMS message, not a picture message.

Anyone else seeing this? Who do you report this kind of thing to?

--tom
    Last edited by tom65; 07/27/2004 at 03:15 PM.
    This has been reported before in several threads. It appears to be a bug on the Sprint Treo 600 too but I have one and have never seen it. This makes me think that it is related to certain characters appearing in the contacts list or relates to third-party software such as ringtone managers which try to intercept the lookup function to pair a contact and ringtone. The other option I can think of is use of a third-party contacts application which messes with the indexation of the contacts.

How big is your contact list? That is another potential area of concern.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply. My contact list is small - something like 20 entries.

I did a hard reset and a blank treo doesn't fail this way. Resynced without the Apps and it fails again -- leading to your guess about something in the address book. The only really funny thing about my address book is that some of my numbers have *82 prefixing them to unblock caller id. Removed all of those and it still resets.

An interesting note: If I select a name in the contact list and select message, I can cancel out of the SMS with no problem. It seems to only occur going from the SMS application into the contact manager.

--tom
    Last edited by tom65; 07/27/2004 at 10:49 PM.
    try deleting the SMS_quicklist.pdb found in your username's backup folder, and then you need to delete it also on your treo by using fileZ
  5.    #5  
    tried this -- didn't help. Verizon thinks it may be a hardware problem and is replacing the phone -- we'll see. Otherwise, I will escalate this until it finally gets to palmone.
    I had this issue with a sprint treo in april...... replaced the phone 6 times and had the problem on all of them... From a hard reset, try adding 15 contacts with 15 email addresses...... or 3 contacts with 5 emails each. I found it was the number of email addresses in the contact list that crashed the units. Sprint support was worthless and my open ticket of three weeks never had any progress.. Returned it and cancelled svce.
    Quote Originally Posted by tom65
    I'm seeing a bug in my new Verizon Treo where the phone will soft reset if I try to choose "Lookup in Contacts" from the SMS application. Sometimes the phone will just reset immediately when I select that option. Other times it'll reset after I've selected a contact and hit "home" in the SMS application to back out. This is a regular SMS message, not a picture message.

Anyone else seeing this? Who do you report this kind of thing to?

--tom
    My verzion treo is the same. I searched and found a way around it right now which actually saves time. Make sure your option is set to "Search by name" or something similar to that. Then, enter the first few letters of the persons name and press the space bar. It will open you contact list and you can then choose the number you want to SMS... with no resets. If I go straight into the book without first entering some letters of a contact it will always reset.
    Hmm this thread is getting interesting. It looks like this may be a bug related to having a record or several records with a certain number of email entries in it to trigger the reset. I had thought in the past that this related to using third-party address book applications that somehow corrupted the Address book index file (which is actually embedded in the same pdb file as the addresses).

I will experiment and see if I can get it to crap out. Sometimes these bugs relate to exactly how you are doing the lookup e.g. are you guys tapping on the screen to start the lookup in SMS or are you using the 5-way.

PS You are wasting your time getting hardware replacements for this kind of thing - this is 100% a software issue. I am certain of this.

PSS JoeBar99 - were all of the emails marked as email in the contacts applications in the example you gave. i.e. were any marked perhaps as Mobile or another kind of contact. The SMS application Lookup works on the basis that it searches the Contacts for anything marked as Mobile or email only. If you were to mix and match, this could lead to trouble e.g. put an email marked as mobile.
    Last edited by Poryphyron; 08/04/2004 at 06:02 PM.
    The bug makes the Treo crash only if you designate one of the first three contact spaces with either email or mobile category and if all 5 or 4 fields in the contacts are filled.

e.g.
    Firstname/lastname
    Test test
    You then fill out:
    Work number 122222
    Home number 122222
    Mobile 22222
    Other 22222
    Email test@test.com

You wont have a problem with the above but...

Firstname/lastname
    Test test
    You then fill out:
    E-Mail test1@test.com
    Home number 122222
    Mobile 22222
    Other 22222
    E-mail test@test.com

The above will crash every time you do a Lookup in Contacts.

The rule of thumb - Don't put email or Mobile numbers in the first three slots if you are filling 4 or more contacts for the person.
  10.    #10  
    Hmmmm....Moved all of my mobile and email fields to the lower fields and it still resets for me. Maybe there are multiple bugs...
    I'll bet you have at least one bad record left or I may have missed one of the combos that can also be a trigger. I was testing this by hard resetting my T600 Sprint and making fresh records.

I have some suspicions about the ROM built-in addresses that are in the phone after a hard reset. These appear to be written to RAM upon reset. I noticed some improvement in behavior when I removed these - These are items like Directory Assistance with one number *4 listed as a mobile number.
    Interesting Pory.... How many total emails did you have (across all contacts) when you got resets, and when it didn't reset?

I found that once I hit 10 or 15 total it would reset no matter where they were.