1.    #1  
    Ok. So I did the update to my firmware a long time ago (I have an unbranded GSM Treo) but never bothered to use midi files for ringtones since I have Lightwav. Now that the latest version of Lightwav allows me to use a combination of midi and wav files as ringtones, I tried to install some new midi files to try out.

To my surprise, I could not install new midi's using e-mail attachments or Blazer (Web). Did a search on this forum and found out about corrupted Unsaved Preferences file that is causing a conflict with the new sounds.prc and that it needs to be deleted. I am not happy with PalmOne causing this but that's another issue I guess.

If possible, I don't want to delete my Unsaved Preferences as I am certain that it will cause a lot of other problems with existing applications on my Treo. I hope someone can suggest another method to get around this problem.

I did notice in a past thread (unfortunately erased when Treocentral's website had that major crash not too long ago) that someone suggested using the old sounds manager (no idea what it's called) from the old ROM to get midi's installed.

If anyone has tried doing this, could you please confirm that it works. Also, if it works, I would hope that someone can post here or e-mail to me a copy of the old sounds manager from the old ROM. I would greatly appreciate it as I have not been able to find a copy anywhere.

Thanks.

Keeping my fingers crossed........
    Bump... I'd like to know the answer to this too. I have the same problem and deleted my unsaved pref file - all was well. Just tried to add a ringtone a few days ago and the same problem. I don't want to delete it again and I'd like to know what is causing this recurring problem.

Thanks,
    Don C
    The issue here is that your exchange manager settings are corrupted. You have little choice but to re-assert the file somehow. I had a look inside Unsaved prefs using RsrcEdit and this does appear to be the file where these associations are stored. The prefs are listed under the type SMng. You could ask someone to copy these into a new resource file and send it to you. You could then paste the resources across your bad ones.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mwomwom
    The issue here is that your exchange manager settings are corrupted. You have little choice but to re-assert the file somehow. I had a look inside Unsaved prefs using RsrcEdit and this does appear to be the file where these associations are stored. The prefs are listed under the type SMng. You could ask someone to copy these into a new resource file and send it to you. You could then paste the resources across your bad ones.
    Thanks for the note.

I think I understand what you have said above. Does that also mean that it is possible to delete certain items within Unsaved Preferences file? I looked at the file using Uninstall Manager and under Unsaved Preferences, I can see a list of items, one being "System MIDI Sounds" which appears as a database file. Other items in there I can't figure out.

Appreciate your help.
  5.    #5  
    Ok, I've found a solution to the problem.

Try out Hoho by Ranosoft. The midi manager plugin will allow me to add new midis to the midi database. I still cannot download and install midi's automatically over the net, but I can save them to the SD card and install using one of the hoho plugins.

Bottom line is I don't have to mess around with Unsaved Preferences.

I'm happy.