Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi

I have recently purchased a Treo600 and have only just begun to use it as my primary phone.

Regardless of whether I am making or recieving calls, I always get a very annoying buzzing, interference type noice.

I never have a prblem with the email or web aspects, just the phone.

Any thoughts !

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gryrie
    Hi
    I have recently purchased a Treo600 and have only just begun to use it as my primary phone.
    Regardless of whether I am making or recieving calls, I always get a very annoying buzzing, interference type noice.
    I never have a prblem with the email or web aspects, just the phone.
    Any thoughts !
    Thanks
    Call who you bought it from and/or PalmOne and get a replacement.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    GSM...I was just issued an ATT Wireless Treo for work (and I have had a Sprint Treo for home since November). I can not get past the horrible sound quality!!!! I was never happy to be with sprint before...I am now.
    its the unit, not ATTWS
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Yup - the unit needs a repair. Best send it back to palmOne for the fix.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I have the same intermittent buzzing, more like a stutter, but its occured with the last 2 units out of 4 that ive had replaced for speaker echo. i really dont know what to do..every unit i replace has the same problem. Whats the point of continuous replacement? i wonder if its software related, maybe ill try resetting the phone to factory settings...
    http://mytreo.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB....5290;start=0#0

Solution to the buzzing problem. Torx screwdriver set from home depot (Torx 6 to be specific), aluminum foil, scotch tape, scissors, and 15 minutes of your time.
    Quote Originally Posted by middle_man
    http://mytreo.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB....5290;start=0#0

Solution to the buzzing problem. Torx screwdriver set from home depot (Torx 6 to be specific), aluminum foil, scotch tape, scissors, and 15 minutes of your time.
    The above is certainly the BEST DIY solution to erradicating buzzing. Although when buzzing started with me the most EASY way was to replace the phone - Courier arrived the next morning with a shiny refurb.

MM
    Unfortunately the problem started about 3 months into me and my business associates owning the phones. We use them in three different areas of the country (all on ATT), and all have the same problem.. it's really the worst when we're talking to each other...then the buzzing is really, really loud. It happens no matter how the battery is charged.. it happens any time, and suddenly just happens or stops in the middle of conversations.

Since the phones came from 3 different stores separated by thousands of miles, I do not believe we just have bad luck. It's the hardware. The phone is a great idea, badly executed design wise, obviously.

I am going to try the solution in that link above.. hope it works.
    Got my Treo replaced under warranty by Handspring UK, and that cured the severe buzzing problem.
    ** Update ** There are a set of directions online at http://www.binxiao.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ (mostly in English-translated Manderin) that are absolutely accurate on how to fix the buzzing in your Treo 600.

While I was very nervous to crack my precious Treo literally in half (ok, that sounds dramatic -- it was simply five Trox 6 screws), it all worked out in the end. The fix was not only simple to execute, it immediately solved the buzzing issue whenever I used my phone.

And trust me - for those of you who were/are going through the same situation, there will be a point where it drives you crazy enough to want to just fix it IMMEDIATELY.

It takes about 10 minutes total and is a complete DIY solution!
    I have replaced my treo 7 times, and my wife's treo 6 times for this problem. I have it replaced because I don't want to void warrenty. These things are too buggy for me to void the warrenty.

I have found 2 fixes. One is a quick fix (below), and the other takes longer (replace handheld).

Turn your Treo upside down (so the antenea is pointing toward the floor). Cup your right (if right handed) hand and make it firm. Smack the phone hard right where the hotsync plug is. Do this about 5-10 times. The buzzing goes away. (for a while at least).

Sadly, I just bought a HP6315 3 weeks ago to test it out. Looks like I am going to keep it. While it has many of its own problems, they are less servier and the build quality seems so much better. Still though, Treo is the best phone I have ever used. Just can't get over the fact that I have replaced my phone 7 times since last november (and my wife's 6 times, and 2 of my co-workers have exchanged them more than 5 times each).
    Quote Originally Posted by omoanya
    I have the same intermittent buzzing, more like a stutter, but its occured with the last 2 units out of 4 that ive had replaced for speaker echo. i really dont know what to do..every unit i replace has the same problem. Whats the point of continuous replacement? i wonder if its software related, maybe ill try resetting the phone to factory settings...
    Good point..........I think there's an inherent design flaw in the phone causing buzzing and echoing......7 replacements have not corrected it.
    I too had the problem of the noise during phone calls. most of the tikme people whith whom I was talking complained that they couldnt undeustand me.
    I' have tried the hard solution proposed by binxiao and now I want to thank him: no noise at all and everything works fine. I just want to notice that in his very precise instructions it is not clear how to put back again the piece rubber that holds the pen. From the picture it seems that it has to be placed with the little tounge directed outside and I've lost 5-10 minutes triying to close again my treo until I realized that it has to be placed with the flet part directed outside and the little tongue direncted inside.
    compliment for the simple and effective solution.
    is anyone out there
    helloooooooooo
    You know, I thought you were all crazy!! I bought my Treo 600 in February after months of anticipation only to find it have this "buzzing" problem 3 months ago that has gotten worse. Today I have ordered a replacement under the warranty. I figure if I'm going to crack open a Treo 600, at least it might as well be a brand spanking new Treo 600 or a looked over refurbished model.

Besides, it may be a loooong time before T-Mobile, my carrier service, even carries the Treo 650. My Treo 600 is so worn, the paint on the outside is chipping and wearing away. Now I may get an asthetically pleasing replacement.
    I've now done the "twist the battery cable" fix on 4 different people's Treos with 100% success. It really is easy, painless and seems risk free.

And, by the way, there is absolutely nothing different about your treo that anyone would notice and "void your warranty" when you're done - not like those stupid "warranty void if seal is broken" things on PCs.

Don't worry, be happy :-)
    Do the fix.

Paul
    I had the buzzing in three treo phones and Palm support was totally useless so I gave up and was thinking of smashing my phone and posting photos on the web. The first two replacements were new units from the local distributor because my fault was deemed to be an out of box faliure. After 30 days I got referred to Palm. Palm support here in new zealand is via some third world country where they struggle to speak english and want me to courier the phone to them and they will return a replacement in 3 weeks! If thats Palm service I'm finished with them! The buzzing is almost inaudible at my end but the people I'm talking to say it is horrible. Some polite people don't mention it but when I ask they confirm it is terrible.

I have found the problem and a solution. After lot of experimenting I found that the buzzing was not present when I didn't let the antenna touch my earlobe. Some people don't have the problem when using my phone so perhaps my ears are wetter inside than theirs or a little more conductive, or perhaps other peoples ears don't touch the antenna - who knows? But it explains why three phones in a row were all the same for me. For a while I developed a strange way to hold my treo (sort of vertical so the antenna missed my ear) but then the microphone is further away. Then I tried holding is just a few mm away from my head and that worked too but is a bit tricky to hold it just right. I figured that they should have put more plastic on the head side of the antenna so I wrapped about 10 turns of electrical tape around the antenna and it fixed it totally. Of course it looked gross and got a bit sticky so then I replaced it with a short piece of 1 inch diameter glue lined heat shrink which when it shrunk down to cover the antenna is about 3mm thick which is perfect. I trimmed the top to be level with top of the antenna after it was shrunk and it doesn't look too bad but works great. Beats hitting it with a sledge hammer anyway!! I can post a photo if anyone needs to see my ugly duck solution.

PS I posted this to another forum before I found the tinfoil fix listed here. be interested to know if my idea works on others phones. This can be simply tested by wrapping ten turns of tape around the antenna. there are many different problems with treos - this solution does not fix distorted audio or rattly speaker - it only fixes the buzz heard at the other end of a conversation.

cheers - peter munn
    damn i have the same problem...its like a really bad static noise ...do i contact the dept store that i bought it from??

its almost like it just started all of a sudden :/
    blue jean baby, LA lady
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast