1.    #1  
    Why won't someone design an SD card case that fits in my wallet and holds 4 SD cards!?! I am completely confounded by this glaring design oversight. There is no clear reason that I can see as to why this can't be done. Witness the ease with which 4 SD cards fit into the form factor of a credit card:

(See attached pic)

Now slip a thin plastic mold around that and *PLOW* everyone is happy.

I'm revolted at the size of some of these "card cases" and caddies they are trying to sell us. It's like strapping on a fanny pack to carry change for a dollar. I refuse to own an SD card case that is as big as (or bigger than) my phone.

The riley dog case is exactly what I want, except that it's a total design nightmare. WHY WOULD YOU ONLY DESIGN IT TO FIT 2 CARDS!?!? If there were a 4 card variant, that would be perfect. This design is wicked inefficient, what a waste of space.

http://www.rileydog.com/default.shtml

The next two choices are close, but they appear to be too thick. SD cards are pretty durable as is, I don't need them to be able to survive being thrown from a moving car. I want them to stay organized in my wallet. The plastic for these appears to be as thick as the SD crads themselves, so I'd imagine it would be, like, 3 SD cards thick... unacceptible. I don't think these would fit easily into my wallet (but maybe into my SD fanny pack?)

http://www.xpcgear.com/sedicaho4b.html

http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductD...ductCode=SHDPE

Has anyone found a suitable SD card case to fit in your wallet. Riley Dog says theirs is about 3 Credit cards thick, that's not bad.

Any thoughts or comments?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We'll overcome you using our technology.
    If anyone has Adobe Acrobat (full, not reader) or otherwise can combine two PDF files into 1, I have a design for an origami SD card case that is paper thin.

It holds four SD cards per side, so if you just fill one side it's no thicker than an SD card plus a few sheets of paper. It's wallet sized. If you make it from Tyvek or other coated paper it's water and tearproof, or if you make it from a nice art paper it's arty. I've attached a picture of one I made from Xerox "tear-proof" coated laserprinter paper.

I made the two PDF pages in different programs and can't put them together (!), but if I post it online I want it to be one PDF file. Can anyone do me the favor of sending me a single combined PDF file if I email them two PDF files?
  3.    #3  
    Mercer,
    I do have a full version of Acrobat, although I haven't installed it yet. If you send me, or post the PDFs, I will install acrobat writer and try to jam the two together and repost that.

Sound like a plan?

PS- very resourceful, from the looks of your competition, you could make a bunch of these and sell them for $10 each. With a tyvec sheet, you definately have a superior design.
    We'll overcome you using our technology.
    I got a nice SD/MMC card case for free with the Atari Retro MMC card that I got (Incidentally I got that for free too; too bad it wasn't the new 2.0 version). It holds 6 cards (2 vertically by 3 in depth) and fits on my keychain.
    I can combine the jpg's for you. I have Adobe Acrobat full version installed.
    myline = Treo650 w/SprintPCS
    Thanks everyone for your offers! It ended up being my wife who had Acrobat nearest at hand.

Here is the full instruction sheet for making the origami SD card case. As described above, it is wallet-sized and holds four SD cards per side. You can make it out of plain or tear-proof (e.g. Tyvek) paper. Optionally, you can glue a light cardboard piece to the outside to reinforce the covers if you wish, and/or glue decorative paper to the outside.

For those not familiar with origami, a "mountain fold" is a simple straight fold that makes a convex bend when looking at the sheet from the front. A valley fold makes a concave bend. Looking at the pictures should help.

The design (which I came up with) is free to use, distribute, make money from, whatever.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Here's a picture of the case made with a nice translucent vellum paper. A useful origami trick is to transfer the design template onto nice paper by laying the nice paper over the printed template and marking the fold junctions lightly with pencil. Then (on the nice paper alone) make a fold by bending the paper over a ruler's edge, finally removing the ruler and making the fold tight with the back of a spoon.

For a fragile paper like this, which tends to crack with tight folding, I've reinforced the back of the paper at all fold junctions with transparent adhesive tape. It's a trick I learned when making origami CD cases out of delicate Japanese rice paper.
    Mercer,

Very nice design. I've never done origami before, but I was able to make this (only hard part was tucking in the pockets). I made this from regular printer paper. Where would I find Tyvek paper? (preferably not in bulk as I don't plan to go into the business :-) )
    Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk700
    I've never done origami before, but I was able to make this (only hard part was tucking in the pockets) . . . . Where would I find Tyvek paper? ....
    "Tucking in the pockets" (often called "locking the design") is always tough to figure out! I figured that by including actual photos it might be a bit easier.

You might best find tear-proof paper at stores that sell specialty papers: computer supplies places, office supplies superstores, and stationary stores emphasizing unusual papers. The tear-proof paper I have at hand is Xerox Laser Never-Tear Paper purchased from Future Shop in Canada, 15 sheets for C$7 (Xerox makes an inkjet version, too). I see online that Office Depot sells HP LaserJet Tough Paper at a ridiculously inexpensive $6.64 for 50 sheets in the U.S. I see it at Amazon.com, too. I expect that the "Adventure Paper Waterproof Inkjet Paper" and "Weatherproof Paper Waterproof Inkjet/Laser Paper" sold for printing your own hiking maps is the same sort of stuff.

If you search/ask for "waterproof paper" or "tear-resistant paper" for computer printers you'll find they're all variations on the same thing: polyester-coated paper. Tyvek is too slippery for computer printers, so it gets sold for other stuff (making tear-proof envelopes mostly).
    Originally you were looking for a compact small SD card case. You may want to look at www.eporterinc.com. It hold's 3 cards and due to its unique design, it is about the same size as a remote control car door lock opener. Their case called the iPorter is probably the smallest case on the market to hold SD and similar sized cards.

I own one, and am happy with the size. I recommend them.

jp