1.    #1  
    As a journalist who has come to depend upon his Treo 600 for literally everything, I was wondering if any of you Treo gurus/studs might have some suggestions on the best way to tape record phone conversations on a Treo. (Don't worry, I always inform the other party that they're being recorded.) I use a Sony ICD-ST25 digital recorder and was curious what sort of device i might use to connect this digital recorder up to my Treo. I tried using a gizmo from Radio Shack, which the salesman swore normally works with most cell phones, but all i got was static and sometimes a very faint recording. (I've also tried using the speaker phone and positioning the tape recorder next to it, but it's horribly awkward.) Any suggestions? . . . .
    Try using SoundRec (http://www.infinityball.com/soundrec.aspx) with your speakerphone...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Try Audacity with the speakerphone. It works amazingly well.
  4.    #4  
    The thing is, i don't want to use the speaker phone. I'm often in a court house (or some place away from my office) where it's not really appropriate to conduct an interview over the speaker phone. Was truly hoping there was something i could just plug my digital recorder into, then connect to the Treo . . . .
    I think I've read before that it is impossible to do this the way you (and I) want it to. Due to the hardware limitations of the phone. If there is an acceptable workaround, I'll pay $ for it!

B
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    well if u wanna get radio shack you can get a handfree headset take it apart and patch the earpiece audio out signal into a small converter transistor and from there to a 1/8 inch jack. if done properly it would look like a perfectly passive device. If you use an earpice with volume control you can even control line out level.
    Quote Originally Posted by scribblur
    The thing is, i don't want to use the speaker phone. I'm often in a court house (or some place away from my office) where it's not really appropriate to conduct an interview over the speaker phone. Was truly hoping there was something i could just plug my digital recorder into, then connect to the Treo . . . .

Maybe, this might help. When I got my Treo last year, I purchased a very nice set of stereo 3.5 earspeakers that could be used with my wife's Bantam and with an adapter, on my Treo. I got a one 2.5-into-two 3.5 stereo adapter from Radio Shack (then for about $5) that would allow two earspeakers from my Treo or, her Bantam. It has the correct ring arrangements to fit the Treo.

I also have an Olympus Pearlcorder J500 MicroCorder with the Ultra Miniature Tie Clip Microphone (pt# 33-3013) mono, cord length-4 ft. It will plug into the Treo via the adapter. I no longer have the pack the adapter came with (it has no p.n. on it) but, I do have a picture of which, I will attach. The small adapter on the cord is a mono 3.5 to 2.5 one ring. Try to get a mono to stereo (two ring) from Radio Shack then, use the one on the right.

Radio Shack had all of the adapters and cords I needed so make sure that you talk with someone there that is knowledgeable as some of these items are hard to come by.

One more thing, I'm sure that you know the legal guidelines Scribblur since you work in a courtroom but, to others: Many states and municipalities can charge you (a felony in some places) for recording a phone conversation without the knowledge of the other party.

Good Luck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ibrahim B.

Kyo PDQ - Kyo 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo -650 (2) & now the Palm Pre. Will keep my BB World Phone Sprint
    Very complicated. Radio Shack sells a cell phone tap. It is a small device the has a connecter to plug into a standard cell phone jack (you need an adapter) and a connector to plug into your recorder. It has a jack to plug your normal head set into. Requires 2 AAA batteries... works well.
    Yes, admittedly it is! When I purchased those items, my intended use wasn't for recording calls.
    The phone tap would be an easier solution.
    Ibrahim B.

Kyo PDQ - Kyo 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo -650 (2) & now the Palm Pre. Will keep my BB World Phone Sprint
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Like others said, I would think you could run a 2.5mm from the hands free out on the treo to the recorders audio in. That would take care of the other parties voice, not sure how to get your side of the conversation on the tape as well unless the recorder supported both line in and mic record at the same time. ALso there may be an issue with hearing the other party if you dont have a splitter on the hands free out....if you play the audio through the recorder with the line in and mic live you will get feedback and both your head and the head of the other party may explode...be carfule!
    Scribblur ,

I have to agree with Dudemasicus, at Radio Shack you can buy the "Wireless Phone Recording Controller" (Part# 17-855) for about $24 online or $20 in store.

As Dudemasicus said, you need 2 AAA batteries for it to work (I use it a lot and just bought 2 additional rechargeable batteries for my current recharger).

Basically you plug one wire into your Trep phone jack (2.5 mm), one wire into your recorders MIC IN not line in (3.5 mm), and plug your headset into the Radio Shack device.

I have used this flawlessly and is always awesome quality. I use it to stream tele-conference calls from my Treo 600 to my PC at the office for archival purposes as .wav files.

Good luck,
    Dave Lindberg
    Quote Originally Posted by scribblur
    As a journalist who has come to depend upon his Treo 600 for literally everything, I was wondering if any of you Treo gurus/studs might have some suggestions on the best way to tape record phone conversations on a Treo. (Don't worry, I always inform the other party that they're being recorded.) I use a Sony ICD-ST25 digital recorder and was curious what sort of device i might use to connect this digital recorder up to my Treo. I tried using a gizmo from Radio Shack, which the salesman swore normally works with most cell phones, but all i got was static and sometimes a very faint recording. (I've also tried using the speaker phone and positioning the tape recorder next to it, but it's horribly awkward.) Any suggestions? . . . .
    Audacity at audacity.com works fine. I use the regular program....$49.00 I think. The Premium program for docs and lawyers is supposedly great bu it sounded like more than I needed. I have recorded phone calls and it is great.

Curt
    Curt

StarTAC ST7868W w/ Motorola StarTAC Clipon Organizer; Treo 600; Treo 700P; Palm Pre Plus all on Verizon
    Quote Originally Posted by curtarmy
    Audacity at audacity.com works fine. I use the regular program....$49.00 I think. The Premium program for docs and lawyers is supposedly great bu it sounded like more than I needed. I have recorded phone calls and it is great.

Curt

You can also try Personal Audio Recorder from www.toysoft.ca there are two versions the basic $14.95 and PRO $22.95.
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca