Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 120
  1. #61  
    Cool Thanks for the update
  2. #62  
    That's awesome...when you say multiple forwards you mean similar to options like 'forward to #111-1111 if no answer" ?

    Thanks...
    <a href="http://www.terriblemovies.com">TerribleMovies.Com</a>
  3. #63  
    Razix... Will Sprint still charge me when I use this software?
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsito
    Razix... Will Sprint still charge me when I use this software?
    That all depends on what contract you have with sprint. Some of my sprint customers get unlimited free call forwarding and others are charged 10 cents a minute! please call sprint and find out before you use it too much!
  5. #65  
    Thank you. I will call and find out..
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by ziphem
    That's awesome...when you say multiple forwards you mean similar to options like 'forward to #111-1111 if no answer" ?

    Thanks...
    What I mean by multiple forwards.. it will let you set up different forwards so if you are at home and plug it in the charger, you can have it forward to home, if you are at the office and plug it in the charger you can have it forward to the office. I allow for 5 forwards at the moment.. there is no real restriction for the # of forwards.. but for UI reasons Im gonna keep it at 5 for now.

    Right now FF v1 only lets you forward to 1 number and many users have 2 chargers one at home and one at the office and they would like FF to be able to forward to both locations without hassle.. and I agree.

    It will do this via popup window and/or schedule:

    1) A popup window with a timer will come when you place the phone on charge with big buttons, each one a different number you have previously set in the program. The last button will be a "dont forward" button. You can choose to push a forward button and have it forward immediatly or you can wait for the timer to expire and it will forward for you!

    2) The popup is on a timer so if you dont do anything it will default to the current forward based on a programmed schedule. This replicates the current hands free operation of FF.. yet it will forward to different numbers based on day and time.

    All the user interface is completed, its basically in an "alpha" state.. but its coming along nicely.
  7. dwman's Avatar
    Posts
    896 Posts
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsito
    Razix... Will Sprint still charge me when I use this software?
    Don't think so. I've been looking online at my usage stats, and I've never seen call forwarding charged. Maybe it will show up on my bill in a couple of days
  8.    #68  
    Another update!

    I am really sorry to do this to you guys.. but its a much better version of FF. You will not notice anything from an interface standpoint.. but it will use less cpu power than any previous version thus improving your treo's performance when running this new version. It will also have less conflicts with 3rd party applications (if it had any in the first place).

    download v1.21 at:

    http://www.razix.com/fastforward.htm
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by razix
    Another update!

    I am really sorry to do this to you guys.. but its a much better version of FF. You will not notice anything from an interface standpoint.. but it will use less cpu power than any previous version thus improving your treo's performance when running this new version. It will also have less conflicts with 3rd party applications (if it had any in the first place).

    download v1.21 at:

    http://www.razix.com/fastforward.htm
    Razix - I downloaded the latest version and ran into many problems similar to lb505 (posts #43, 52). I also have a SprintPCS phone. I am running ShSh's TakePhone and 2day apps. Specifically, when I unplugged the phone from the charging/sync cable, I received the same text error message as did lb505 in the earlier posts. And while FF indicated that calls were not being forwarded, they still were. My home answering machine had 15 messages with very confused people thinking they were getting my mobile phone. I deleted the app from my phone so I could receive calls. Any suggestions?
  10.    #70  
    beantown - sorry to hear you are having problems. I am at the beach right now... so I can't do much from here.. but one question I have is: was this the first time you installed FF or was the previous version working and you updated to the latest and then it had problems? if this is the first time... then all I can think of is there may be a conflict because other sprint users reported everything was fine...but I haven't heard back on from anyone on the latest release v1.21.

    any other sprint users try the latest release v1.21?

    thanx
  11.    #71  
    I just tested FF v1.21 on a brand new sprint pcs Treo 600 purchased 3 days ago. Everything worked 100% - can you try disabling some other 3rd party applications to help me find out which one is in confilict?

    thanks!
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by razix
    beantown - sorry to hear you are having problems. I am at the beach right now... so I can't do much from here.. but one question I have is: was this the first time you installed FF or was the previous version working and you updated to the latest and then it had problems? if this is the first time... then all I can think of is there may be a conflict because other sprint users reported everything was fine...but I haven't heard back on from anyone on the latest release v1.21.

    any other sprint users try the latest release v1.21?

    thanx
    Razix - thanks for the reply. This was the first time I installed any version of FF. I'm running many apps, too many to list, but if there are known conflicts, please let me know so we can weed through this issue.
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by razix
    beantown - sorry to hear you are having problems. I am at the beach right now... so I can't do much from here.. but one question I have is: was this the first time you installed FF or was the previous version working and you updated to the latest and then it had problems? if this is the first time... then all I can think of is there may be a conflict because other sprint users reported everything was fine...but I haven't heard back on from anyone on the latest release v1.21.

    any other sprint users try the latest release v1.21?

    thanx
    FF v1.21 works great now on my Sprint Treo. No more battery drain and no conflicts with other 3rd party apps.

    I do not however run any of ShSh's applications. I do have a good number of 3rd party apps (> 80) installed. The only current problem is with Profeo Light interferring with the phone application.
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    FF v1.21 works great now on my Sprint Treo. No more battery drain and no conflicts with other 3rd party apps.

    I do not however run any of ShSh's applications. I do have a good number of 3rd party apps (> 80) installed. The only current problem is with Profeo Light interferring with the phone application.
    Razix - Please let me know if you are aware of known app conflicts beyond Profeo Light (do not have this app). If you need to know what I have on my T600, please let me know and I will email you privately. Thanks in advance for your help.
  15.    #75  
    Beantown - so far there are 0 known conflicts.. I have many registered Sprint users with no issues. Jeff is one of the more "hardcore" users with tons off apps and helped me beta test it to get it to the point FF is at now. I only have one issue with a user who is with verizon where the phone will not turn off forwarding... and it looks like thats a problem on verizons end because I also have many other verizon users with no problems.

    send me a list of what you have installed. have you tried to remove any phone applications to see if they are in confict? You are the only one at this time reporting this issue so I have no way of figuring out the problem without some testing on your end. However, I will be glad to help you troubleshoot.
  16. #76  
    Razix - will send you the list. Thanks for your attention to this. I've had problems with the "Uninstall" app with other programs too so I've deleted that one and am continuing to test FF (although I registered it already and hopefully not prematurely).
  17.    #77  
    Beantown - one thing I forgot to ask you, have you been able to manually turn on and off call forwarding with no problems? This is to just verify that call forwarding is enabled with your service.
  18. #78  
    I am running ChatterEmail with the alsway on GPRS push IMAP functionality. I'm finding that when I remove my treo 600 from the cradle, and then I hit the phone button (to make a call) I get a message that there is insufficient signal to disable call forwarding (is this because Chatter is not releasing the GPRS session??) and when I click on the "OK" button, the phone soft resets. So this appears to be a conflict?
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by razix
    Beantown - one thing I forgot to ask you, have you been able to manually turn on and off call forwarding with no problems? This is to just verify that call forwarding is enabled with your service.
    Razix - thanks for your ongoing volleys with these issues. Yes I can manually turn on or off FF. But I think I found the conflict prior to this test anyway. Specifically, I had another app that confliced with the "Uninstall" app so I deleted the Uninstall and tested FF and the other conflicted app. Both worked after Uninstall was, well, uninstalled. Looking good I believe. Now I need to determine if Sprint will be wacking me for the forwarding surcharges. Joy.
  20. #80  
    Razix - on Sprint phones, there is a call forwarding icon that appears adjacent to the signal-strength icon when one toggles that feature in the default phone app. But now that I have registered and constantly use FF, there is no need to use that default feature and therefore no longer that little icon showing up. For peace of mind, I think it would be a useful icon for FF users to see. If the phone is plugged into a charger, FF should be forwarding (not considering the headphone jack setting) but it would be nice to actually have a visual confirmation of its status located up near the signal strength icon (or anywhere visible on a phone app). Your thoughts on this enhancement request?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions