1.    #1  
    I found my treo this morning dark and non-responsive to buttons. A soft reset brought it to life, but just barely: I get the palmos logo, and then it sits there for two minutes, until the screen turns dark again. There's never a recognizable palm app displayed.

Eventually, I did a hard rest (props to backup buddy) and the problem was "solved". To be on the safe side, I removed the only piece of software I'd added in the last week, brightcam.
    Did you see the count-down screen seen when your battery is very low? This does a countdown before it shuts the unit down again - you would see this after asoft reset if the unit was power challenged.
    I have had to do hard resets from time to time in the past and a quick sync always had me up and running in no time. What does BBuddy do that syncing does not? I never lose anything after the hard reset and the sync. Just curious.
    MRL-MO
    Quote Originally Posted by mlemke
    I have had to do hard resets from time to time in the past and a quick sync always had me up and running in no time. What does BBuddy do that syncing does not? I never lose anything after the hard reset and the sync. Just curious.

For one, BackupBuddy and BackupMan will allow you to restore from a hard reset if you are away from your PC or laptop. The apps run off of the sd card which is not wiped when you do a hard reset. Plus, it's a faster restore.....at least I think. i had to hard reset over the weekend and i restored 15mb of data from BackupMan in less than a minute.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Poryphyron
    Did you see the count-down screen seen when your battery is very low? This does a countdown before it shuts the unit down again - you would see this after asoft reset if the unit was power challenged.
    No. Actually, it was plugged into the charger at the time, and after the hard reset, it was indeed fully charged.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mlemke
    Well, when I did my firmware upgrade without the benefit of bb, I definitely lost a few files. I was able to restore them ultimately from an old bb to card. Aside from the sd card functionality, bb has a few other niceties, like the ability to exclude certain huge files (like avantgo), and an automatic mirroring of the backup directory onto a network drive. Honestly, I think at this point that bb is nice, but not crucial. Earlier incarnations of the palm sync software did a much lousier job of backing data from non-built-in apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by platron
    ............Eventually I did a hard rest (props to backup buddy) and the problem was "solved". To be on the safe side, I removed the only piece of software I'd added in the last week, brightcam.

Interesting indeed. I recently installed Brightcam and almost immediately my Treo exhibited a few problems. Keyboard flashing on/off and my Treo unresponsive (black screen) in a loop. Did a soft reset and disabled Brightcam until I get to the root of the problem. It was a clean install and Backup. Will post what I find.
    Ibrahim B.

Kyo PDQ - Kyo 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo -650 (2) & now the Palm Pre. Will keep my BB World Phone Sprint