Quote Originally Posted by rich644
Not that I don't envy all the gee wiz phones the people in European countries have, but population densities in Europe/Japan have a lot to do with the carriers being able to deploy upgrades to their infrastructures at a faster pace.

For the sake of discussion, say (hypothetically) one cell site in Japan may be able to serve 10,000 users while a cell site in the US may only serve 2000 users. The cost per user is greater and technological advancements may have to come at a slower pace. The burden on the US carriers is greater due to the vast distances involved.

I would think that comparing cell service in countries with similar population densities as the US would be a more accurate.
So the population density makes it more economically feasible for Japan to upgrade a particular cell tower versus the U.S.? Then why isn't every major city in the U.S. already running WCDMA/3G/UTMS, etc.? The population density in Los Angeles, Washington, DC, Dallas/Houston, Chicago, or New York City could certainly provide enough of an economic base to make it worthwhile as it apparently was in Japan.

If it comes down to raw numbers of people (i.e. customers) Japan has about 127 million people versus the U.S. with 260 million (most of which are in the major cities). I see no reason why the major U.S. cities aren't already saturated with high-speed wireless cell coverage as Japan is. The U.S. has more customers, so if it's about carriers finding the money to upgrade infrastucture (which comes from paying customers) then why is the U.S. behind the curve? Certainly the carriers could handle upgrading the services in a few cities, couldn't they?