Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mailwave beat RIM BlackBerry to the PalmOS market - Hilton Development Group have launched MailWave, the ground-breaking wireless email solution for Palm Powered Handhelds and Smartphones. MailWave provides wireless access to IMAP4 and POP3 enabled mail servers and supplies push-email to connected mobile devices. Advanced features such as Inbox synchronization... Full story >>>

It's well worth checking out

Cheers
    m
    I haven't downloaded the trial yet but it doesn't seem to really be like the Blackberry.

"configurable SMS notification of new e-mail"

That doesn't sound like true "push" e-mail to me. I hope I'm wrong but that sounds like you receive a SMS letting you know you have new mail and then have to log into the application to receive the actual message.

Someone please tell me I'm wrong.
    It's also $84/yr...

-m
    It's more than that.

$7 per month plus a $25 activation fee.

It's $109 per year.
    Besides, psuedo push has been done for ages with SnapperMail + TreoHelper... and off-hand it looks like Snapper is still the better client.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Good technology is the only true blackberry like solution.
    Although Blackberry only does e-mail and calendar (with directory lookup)
    Good does e-mail, contacts, tasks, notes, calendar all wireless.
    Their directory lookup doesn't work too good, though.
    However, Good Link doesn't appear to have a non-server based solution like most of the others do including Blackberry with its internet edition and Sprint's Business Connect's Personal Edition.
    My first thought was "This is Chatter country, boy are you asking for it"

But I checked it out, it seems neat but the big stickler for me was
    the $7 a month charge, and if I read that right, the mail goes to an intemediary server. So besides having to give your mail login info to a third party, there's also going to be a slight delay while the mail hops from server to server.
    Pete
    Does Good Technology permit the Treo to work with ACT! 6.0 calendar, notes, calls, to-do's, etc.
    I think it only works with Outlook.

http://www.good.com/index.php/products_palmos.html
    Chatter IS true push (just like the Blackberry), true IMAP sync'ing of inbox and other folders w/o a desktop redirector or server-based software, and works completely in the background. Hard to beat. (shows attachments but does not download).

Has anyone actually tried this new product yet?
    snapper takes too long to sync and my e-mail doesn't work too well with sms notifications so this looks awesome to me

Testing it out today. Will report back later
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    I haven't downloaded the trial yet but it doesn't seem to really be like the Blackberry.

"configurable SMS notification of new e-mail"

That doesn't sound like true "push" e-mail to me. I hope I'm wrong but that sounds like you receive a SMS letting you know you have new mail and then have to log into the application to receive the actual message.

Someone please tell me I'm wrong.
    My guess is it's automated, like Sprint Biz Conn - your Treo receives an SMS that tells it to download your mail. This works fine on Biz Conn and I'm sure it would fine here too.
    I'm not denying that it works or doesn't work. My comment was aimed more at that fact that this service is not really like Blackberry's at all.
    I'm testing out Mailwave today. Apparently Mailwave is push. It polls while you are connected to the Mailwave service. I don't really want to activate this as I would like to use sms notification. Getting e-mail via imap is a lot fater than snapper , which is one of the things I hate about that program.

Sms is set up by creating a filter where the from line contains @ and then sending an sms notification to that your cell's e-mail address, which isn't explained, but I e-mailed tech support.

More on Mailwave later.
    Quote Originally Posted by 155
    I'm testing out Mailwave today. Apparently Mailwave is push. It polls while you are connected to the Mailwave service.
    How can it be push and poll? I'm confused.

The Problem with Snapper that I have is IMAP polling pretty much stinks because it's so slow. The good news seems to be Marc is concentrating on the email side of Chatter so hopefully it will get even better.
    Pete
    Just in case people are wondering why TC didn't post this as news; Mailwave announced and shipped this product back in May 2004.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    I'm not denying that it works or doesn't work. My comment was aimed more at that fact that this service is not really like Blackberry's at all.
    I think you're splitting hairs over a technical issue. It gets you your mail without constantly polling the server. Isn't that enough? If Blackberry is so much better, get a Blackberry.
    No splitting hairs. There's a big difference between a triggered pull using SMS and a true push in terms of reliability and cost (for those who are charged for SMS service). In addition, many of these systems have to do their OWN polling (i.e. they poll your real email server and act as an intermediary) - in these cases, there can be significant delays between the receipt of mail at your mail server and its arrival on the Treo.
    A reasonable question would be this: How long, on average, does it take for a message arriving on your email host to then arrive on your Treo? And is there a cost?

Using Chatter and fastmail.fm, for example, I typically receive email on my Treo within a few seconds of its arrival at the server. Often, I see it on my Treo before my PC client (Outlook) sees it.

-m
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast