1.    #1  
    I was wondering if anyone (all carriers) leaves there data connection on at all times. I have Cingular and I have the unlimited media works package so I am not worried about charges. Everytime I use the data portion, I have to search around the menus to disconnect. Should I even bother and just leave it on?
    The GPRS connection will remain open till you use the phone to make a voice call. At that time the GPRS connection will be released. You do not get charge for maintaining the connection, only for bytes of data transfered. And if you are on the unlimited plan, then this would not affect you at all. Hope this answers you question.

Chris
    Cingular Wireless
    Northeast Network Operations Center
    Lead Tech
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Hey cc2096...I think its cool that someone at Cingular is actually reviewing and responding to questions regarding Cingular T600s. I don't know about everyone else but I just wanted to tell you how refreshing that is in this "customer no-service" industry. Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Doesn't leaving it connected eat away at the battery?
    Not much...
    Quote Originally Posted by cc2096
    The GPRS connection will remain open till you use the phone to make a voice call. At that time the GPRS connection will be released. You do not get charge for maintaining the connection, only for bytes of data transfered. And if you are on the unlimited plan, then this would not affect you at all. Hope this answers you question.

Chris
    Cingular Wireless
    Lead Tech

I don't believe this is correct. The GPRS connection will remain active even after you make a phone call (you don't have to connect again.) Though it will time out after a period of time (not sure how long - maybe 15 min?) and then you will have to re-connect. As stated, it doesn't use your kB so just leave it connected and let it time out on its own.

Don C
    My GPRS connection seems to remain alive even with intervening phone calls, but I lose my lease with Cingular after some period of time. I assume that Cingular drops the connection if it does not see any data activity.
    Yes this is correct. I guess I was not clear on that point before. The GPRS connection will remain open even after a phone call is placed. The only time the conection will drop is during handoff or handover, if there is no active GPRS session (web browsing, email, etc.) At that time, if the connection is not being used it will be dropped by the SGSN and the cell site.

FC

Chris
    Cingular Wireless
    Lead Tech