Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Story on Engadget.com

http://www.engadget.com/entry/2127025256856668/

quote:

Oh, and they have a softphone VoIP client that’ll work on the new Treo 610/Treo Ace and other Palm handhelds on the way.
    Doesn't this mean that the Treo Ace will have wi-fi? How cool!
    Or it could be using the Vision connection (Yes Sprint Vision provides just barely enough bandwidth for a simple form of VoIP)
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    that is some friggin exciting *** **** man!!!!! WOW. I LOVVVVVEEEE VONAGE!
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    I love Vonage but I caution that the bandwidth I see on the Sprint connection is not nearly enough for VoIP so I would hope it uses wifi but I am under the impression that Palm does not want wifi and for the life of me why would the cell companies (SPrint and Verizon) want us using VoIP instead of their networks?
    It is kind of strange that they should specifically mention the Ace and not the 600.

I doubt that it is the faster processor in the Ace as the standard codecs are not too CPU intensive. We can't rule it out though.

It could be the old "mic doesn't work on the old 600 firmware", in which case we 600 owners with updated firmware may be in luck.

Could it be (hold your breath) that the Ace may actually support EVDO or UMTS, and the codec needs the extra throughput? We idiots who will be waiting at Handspring's door the day the Ace is released can only hope.
    Oh-my-gawd! I sure hope this Vonage thing trumps what I've heard about VoIP in a thread/article I posted earlier this week in the "Communications" section of TreoCentral:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=54103

We want our (Treo) VoIP!

Cheers,
    Kevin
    DoCoMo is releasing a handset that has a feature called "Passage Duple" that allows for switch offs between WCDMA and Wi-Fi networks...that's exciting

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

While interesting, I have to wonder why...

If anything, it's going to make 911 calls even harder to handle - Vonage doesn't have real E911 capability - second, most people have enough minutes/data that it sort of eliminates the advantages of IP calls, and, finally, why the hell would you WANT to make VoIP calls with a cell phone? I can understand it with a laptop, but a cell phone? Just doesn't make sense to me.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamBilly
    While interesting, I have to wonder why...

If anything, it's going to make 911 calls even harder to handle - Vonage doesn't have real E911 capability - second, most people have enough minutes/data that it sort of eliminates the advantages of IP calls, and, finally, why the hell would you WANT to make VoIP calls with a cell phone? I can understand it with a laptop, but a cell phone? Just doesn't make sense to me.
    I have to agree, while it would be cool to make a call using VoiP on a Vision connection, the novelty would wear off pretty quickly. (like almost immediately)
    If anything, it's going to make 911 calls even harder to handle - Vonage doesn't have real E911 capability
    true, but they do have 911 calling, all you have to do is tell the Vonage adapter what address you are at, and the system updates itself.

As for wireless, well, I am sure that they will come up with something

second, most people have enough minutes/data that it sort of eliminates the advantages of IP calls, and, finally, why the hell would you WANT to make VoIP calls with a cell phone? I can understand it with a laptop, but a cell phone? Just doesn't make sense to me.
    Well, one could be in an office building or other hot spot where the WiFi network provides signal and hence call clarity than the cellular service

for us who make international calls this would make the most sense. I can call Europe for pennies using Vonage. Sprint exacts its usual penalty for int'l calls.

As for domestic calls, I really can't see the point.

Also, with respect to bandwidth, using PDAnet I have used my Vonage softphone to try VoIP using my Sprint treo. While I could ring another number, talking was near impossible. VoIP requires a minimum up speed as well as download. While sprint has reasonable dowload speeds, their upload speeds appear to be less than dialup
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    exactly... international.. this means i can now use my existing Vonage account with whatever premium for this service (probably it will be billed as a separate line for the $5.99 extra a month) to call Singapore and India which normally i have to use calling cards which i have programmed into TakePhone or waiting till i get home when i quickly burn through those calling cards. Either way its a major savings cuz i go throught about $60 on my calling cards alone internationally and i use at least $40 a month international on my Vonage at home. On vonage though $40 gets u a longgg way.

The best VoIP fyi is www.wipphone.com ..

but the problem is they have no features whatsoever and only have NYC area codes and close by NYC.
    however for $20 a month flat rate and 1 cent a minute to singapore vs Vonage at 5 cents.. and 5 cents a minute to india vs. vonage's .16 cents.. well thats no joke as soon as they up their services.

i Dig VoIP but ill have to see it on my Ace to believe it.. in fact ill have to see the Ace to belive that as well... ohh i love pinning my hopes on possibly existing technolgoies.

well i gotta go teleport to my girlfriends moon condo in my hovering holo car. later
    Well, one could be in an office building or other hot spot where the WiFi network provides signal and hence call clarity than the cellular service[/QUOTE]

Since when have we had wifi with the Treo???????????????????? You ACE Prophets have taken this a bit to far. I agree VoIP is a novelty on a Treo except for international calls. Even then remember one of VOnage sales points is you can take the ATA with you anywhere you have a broadband connection and use it (even a hotel room while traveling or on vacation).

G
    This would be a great home solution. Many people have moved to cable or dsl broadband at home. If you could get wifi internal (hint hint oh Samsung), then you could switch to Vonage at home on your wireless network and Sprint PCs out - what a wonderful world it would be.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Since when have we had wifi with the Treo????????????????????
    read the link in the first post of the thread

Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    Or it could be using the Vision connection (Yes Sprint Vision provides just barely enough bandwidth for a simple form of VoIP)
    I'm sure it might be enough for some people at some times, but I was trying to point out that the story references Vonage's Voice over WiFi, not Vonage's Voice over 2.5G cellular networks. Doesn't this imply that the Treo Ace has wi-fi. I think Vonage working on a Treo Ace is a huge deal, but it's just as big to have wi-fi available.

Many have mentioned cool reasons why Vonage on their cell would be good. I'll add a couple and respond to some others:

- Anything that my laptop can do that doesn't require a extensive use (loosely defined by an hour or so) of screen or keyboard (i.e. physical limitations of a the Treo's size) is something that I want my Treo to do. I don't want to carry a laptop around to make a phone call. Who would want that?

- It would be nice to give out my Vonage phone as a primary number instead of my cell phone. I don't have that many cell phone minutes that I can use my cell full time for a month. Imagine that I'm in a taxi cab and someone calls my home phone and gets me. How would the ATA portability help me there?

- 911 calls? 911 is a nice feature to have, no doubt about it. But I'll still have the 911 feature of my cellular connection. I don't see how this comes into play. How does adding an extra feature hurt anything? It's not like this is instead of cellular calls.

I don't see how people, can not like the extra option. It would be like saying that you wouldn't want your Treo to play mp3s. If you don't want it to do that, you don't have to. For everyone else, they can.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    its not that ppl wouldnt like it. its that Palm and the carriers wont allow it. at least not at this time. Putting Wi-Fi on the phone would only cause the carriers to lose money and Palm therefore doesnt want to include Wi-Fi on their phones.

T-mobile is the only company to benefit from Wi-Fi due to T-mobile hot spot subscriptions which is why the new HP Smartphone with Wi-Fi will only be available through T-Mobile. Sprint and Verizon know that if they put Wi-Fi in their phones they will lose tons of money from ppl using their Vonage accounts for unlimited accounts and therefore scaling back their monthly minute plans on their cell phone...

These manufacturers know the technology and the lay of the land to come at least a year ahead of when they release products. Its no coincidence that the Treo600 SD port doesnt supply enough power to a WiFi device. Bottom line is if they dont stand to profit from it, it wont be released and with Sprint and Verizon working on their EVDO networks, most likely they will be depending on people using EVDO and not wi-fi.
    C'est La Vie
    Last edited by wahili; 07/26/2004 at 12:16 PM.
    I think you need to read it again. They say the following...
    We got a chance to play with a prototype of Vonage’s Voice over WiFi phone yesterday afternoon, and while we can’t tell you too much about it (Brooke and Heather over there would kill us), we can confirm that it is for real — someone out there somewhere even dialed a wrong number and accidentally called one of the phones during the demo. Oh, and they have a softphone VoIP client that’ll work on the new Treo 610/Treo Ace and other Palm handhelds on the way. We’ll obviously have way more on all of this in a few weeks.

They say there is a Smartphone client for the Treo not wifi for the treo...
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    I think you need to read it again. They say the following...
    We got a chance to play with a prototype of Vonage’s Voice over WiFi phone yesterday afternoon, and while we can’t tell you too much about it (Brooke and Heather over there would kill us), we can confirm that it is for real — someone out there somewhere even dialed a wrong number and accidentally called one of the phones during the demo. Oh, and they have a softphone VoIP client that’ll work on the new Treo 610/Treo Ace and other Palm handhelds on the way. We’ll obviously have way more on all of this in a few weeks.

They say there is a Smartphone client for the Treo not wifi for the treo...
    While we're parsing so closely, how does the client connect to Vonage other than wifi (better still, WHY Vonage, if not wifi - Vonage on Vision would be a pipeline nightmare).
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast