Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    I think you need to read it again. They say the following...
    We got a chance to play with a prototype of Vonage’s Voice over WiFi phone yesterday afternoon, and while we can’t tell you too much about it (Brooke and Heather over there would kill us), we can confirm that it is for real — someone out there somewhere even dialed a wrong number and accidentally called one of the phones during the demo. Oh, and they have a softphone VoIP client that’ll work on the new Treo 610/Treo Ace and other Palm handhelds on the way. We’ll obviously have way more on all of this in a few weeks.

They say there is a Smartphone client for the Treo not wifi for the treo...
    Maybe, I'm just more dense than usual today, but I didn't see the word smartphone in the passage you quoted there. I did happen to see that the software tested is "Voice over Wi-fi." Or perhaps the "softphone VoIP client" is some other software that they are mentioning in addition to the "Voice over Wi-fi"

As other people pointed out, anything that isn't wi-fi wouldn't work. As one brilliant person also pointed out, there's significant reason to keep wi-fi out of our hands (a point I've made in the past).

I suppose I might have jumped to conclusions seeing Wi-Fi mentioned in conjunction with the Treo Ace. Anyone else see why I connected those dots?
    ANy Vonage user can have the VoIP phone applet for their laptop or home computer for $9.95 a month (if I remember the price right) and this is not a new deal.

I agree wifi is not something I am interested in the Treo for especially with Sprints Vision/BC Service. Not sure how much syncing the rest of you do but I do not sync my Treo very often to my computer. The Treo in many ways has become my computer of choice.
    I agree dstrauss, a true nightmare. I have a 3mb pipe at home and Vonage/e-mail/browsing (webex demo) causes drop out.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    As one brilliant person also pointed out, there's significant reason to keep wi-fi out of our hands (a point I've made in the past).?
    the wifi cat is out of the bag when it comes to smartphones (e.g., Moto MPX, etc.). device mgftrs that bow to certain carriers wishes to not include it will only hurt themselves.
    Off to iPhone land...
    Quote Originally Posted by ghileman
    the wifi cat is out of the bag when it comes to smartphones (e.g., Moto MPX, etc.). device mgftrs that bow to certain carriers wishes to not include it will only hurt themselves.
    Watching the scorpion dance of Samsung/Sprint, Treo/Sprint, and Treo/Verizon, I think the cards are still in the hands of the carriers on the CDMA side. You toe their line (NO bluetooth, etc) or they won't certify your phone.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I tend to agree that VOIP over constrained, high latency bandwidth on Vision is kinda dumb. Forget AT&T and Verizon. As a Vonage customer since they began I have been using better than a T1 full duplex line coming into my home (fixed wireless) for VOIP and Vonage still hiccups, hisses and drops with this kind of bandwidth occasionally. I use it because its really cheap for international, particularly when both sites have a VOIP router on each side (cheap = free). Don't know how this would work on Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    I agree wifi is not something I am interested in the Treo for especially with Sprints Vision/BC Service. Not sure how much syncing the rest of you do but I do not sync my Treo very often to my computer. The Treo in many ways has become my computer of choice.
    I don't think anyone really is looking at wi-fi as a way to sync their devices more conveniently. Sure it can probably do that, but I think that's more the reason for bluetooth. I want wi-fi so I can get lightning fast data connections in the places that have them. I think loading of USAToday.com was timed at something like 1 minute 30 seconds over Vision. I just got to it in about 5 seconds on my computer. Over wi-fi it might take a little more time, but I'm looking for something like 15-20 seconds rather than 1.5-2 minutes per page.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12