1.    #1  
    I just got my new Treo 600 for Verizon. I'm paying $45 a month extra just to have data and be online all the time, my problem is finding a decent e-mail client.

I'd like to have this e-mail client run in the background and alert me when I get new mail.

I use hotmail and Pop3, but i'll settle for just Pop3 if its a decent client.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Erik
    I don't know if the Verizon Treo includes it, but the Sprint Treo now comes with a free pop3 client that would suit your needs. I think this is the only one that does background checking, but I'm not sure about some like versamail or iambic mail. Snappermail is definitely the most popular email client, but does not check in the background...you can setup periodic checking, but it takes over your screen. Sorry, I don't use hotmail so can't help you there. Good luck.

HTH,
    -Joe
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  3.    #3  
    I just stumbled upon Snappermail, I don't mind if it takes over my screen, I just want it to check on its own. I set it up for 3 minute checks, so far so good. Verizon did not include a pop3 client. I am going to check out versamail as well, thank you.

Thanks,
    Erik
    A few words of warning:
    - Checking every 3 minutes will chew up your battery pretty quickly, especially CDMA (Sprint/Verizon) - keep an eye on it...
    - In my experience it sometimes takes a few seconds to a lot of seconds just to "connect" to the POP3 provider - if you pull email from multiple account every 3 minutes it might be all you ever do!
    - If you are very busy checking email you might miss calls (CDMA)
    Quote Originally Posted by tifosiv122
    I just got my new Treo 600 for Verizon. I'm paying $45 a month extra just to have data and be online all the time, my problem is finding a decent e-mail client.

I'd like to have this e-mail client run in the background and alert me when I get new mail.
    Same here. My Treo arrived yesterday from Verizon and I couldn't believe that they didn't include the Treo email client (or any other email app for that matter). All I need is a mail client that pulls pop3 email from the server without deleting it and then alert me. I here that the Treo email client bundled with the Sprint phone doesn't turn on the screen, which is perfect.

Does anyone know if the phone app that comes bundled with the Sprint Treo works on Verizon's phone, and if so where can it can be download?
    the old sprint beta mail app might work. You may want to post around and see if someone has it.

good luck
    I am trying Aileron which works through proxy and appears to poll for new messages every 10 min. Does not push notification for all messages but only for the last one each interval. I am using it with Hotmail and IMAP4 but POP3 is supported. I like it.
    Peter
    I use chatter on the Treo. My pop accounts forward mail to a fastmail imap account, which is then pushed to the Treo courtesy of Chatter. This takes just a little effort to set up (forward pop mail, set up free fastmail imap account, install and configure Chatter) but it works really well. Chatter works in the background w/ not to bad battery drain.
    A note about Chatter, Marc Blank is not taking new users at this time. I use Chatter and SnapperMail 2x together and the results are fantastic. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepeci
    I am trying Aileron which works through proxy and appears to poll for new messages every 10 min. Does not push notification for all messages but only for the last one each interval. I am using it with Hotmail and IMAP4 but POP3 is supported. I like it.
    Hey Pepeci, how well does Aileron integrate into the PalmOS? Like if there's a link In Blazer to send e-mail, will it transfer me to Aileron? Also how well does Hotmail work with Aileron exactly?

Thanks,

Donald
  11.    #11  
    Verizon does include an e-mail app. You need to download it online. I haven't been able to get it to work and their tech support is over an hour wait everytime I call. Their data support is getting nailed.

Anyway, if you install Verizons Wireless Sync, it should install the program on the PDA along with a mail program. Still can't get it to work yet, though.

Erik
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    There's a great review of many of the available email programs posted in the Yahoo group for Treo owners (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/treo).

The file was last updated on 7/1/04; since then Basejet has gone bankrupt, but otherwise the file is current.
    I also have just bought the Treo 600 w/ Verizon service (unlimited data). I've tried but am not entirely successful using the e-mail function. I can view the e-mail (hotmail and aol account) but (1) it takes a very long time to access the accounts through the browser and (2) so far I haven't been successful in composing and sending an email message.

How do I shorten the time to read email and how do I compose email messages?

I also have been reading about PoP3 and IMAt and Snapper Mail and Verizon Mobil Solutions for e-mail. Also I just finished reading about Intel Sync software that can integrate email, calendar etc through Verizon.

What are they and how do work?

Thanks.

MCHOW
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    A note about Chatter, Marc Blank is not taking new users at this time. I use Chatter and SnapperMail 2x together and the results are fantastic. Ben
    You are only partially correct BC. Marc is no longer issuing new IM accounts. Chatter for mail is fully functional without having an IM account I believe. I do not have an IM acount set up on mine and it works fine. The best mail solution in my opinion, short of attachment support however.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Nguyen
    Hey Pepeci, how well does Aileron integrate into the PalmOS? Like if there's a link In Blazer to send e-mail, will it transfer me to Aileron? Also how well does Hotmail work with Aileron exactly?

Thanks,

Donald
    Aileron is a Palm OS application and I am using it on Treo600. I have not yet tried the call from Blazer but I would suspect it would work. It provides an option to reply by phone and looks up phone numbers from phone book based on email address. It also provides an option to call other mail recipients, send faxes and all of these features seem to be well integrated. I am starting to like the interface - I can manage mail without switching many screens. Hotmail support is managed by their proxy. Mailbox verify access option at Corsoft site (http://www.corsoft.com/check.asp) suggested a server name that appears to be internal to their proxy. I continue to be impressed by its speed and functionality.
    Peter