Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I certainly do hope that P1 isn't only looking at the US market when it comes to deciding on UMTS support in their smartphones. For an >500 dollar device that is meant to be used for heavy data traffic, they will have to include UMTS support no later than first half 2005 if they want to stand a chance in Europe and Asia. I know my company will simply force me to switch to another phone by then if there isn't a Treo supporting UMTS.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ghileman
    ...This combined with the fact that Sprint is significantly behind others on nextgen data network deploy
    What makes you so sure of this? Just because Sprint announced EV-DO last month doesn't mean they just started working on deploying it last month. They've been at this for a while, and I would wager a guess that in a year from now Sprint and Verizon will have better Ev-DO penetration than AT&T/Cingular will have UMTS penetration. (and it will be faster)

The CDMA2000 camp has been, and will continue to be a step ahead of the GSM crowd in the great data race - at least for the near term.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    What makes you so sure of this? Just because Sprint announced EV-DO last month doesn't mean they just started working on deploying it last month
    Well, unless Sprint has either pulled off the the "fake left" wireless strategic maneuver of the new millenium, they are most certainly behind both AT&T and Verizon in the 3G race. I also believe they are probably behind Cingular based on the fact that Cingular has announced 3G testing and all Sprint has announced is that they have reversed their strategy. Usually when a company reverses its strategy in such a major (and I might add embarassing) way, it leads to a setback. Perhaps Sprint can kick things into overdrive to try and catch back up, but this won't come without a tradeoff (i.e., probably higher cost or a shoddier network).
    Off to iPhone land...
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mol
    they will have to include UMTS support no later than first half 2005 if they want to stand a chance in Europe and Asia. I know my company will simply force me to switch to another phone by then if there isn't a Treo supporting UMTS.
    Mol, can you tell me more about the rollout of EDGE and UMTS around the globe? I only know what's going on here in the U.S.
    Off to iPhone land...
    Quote Originally Posted by ghileman
    Sprint has announced is that they have reversed their strategy...Perhaps Sprint can kick things into overdrive to try and catch back up, but this won't come without a tradeoff (i.e., probably higher cost or a shoddier network).
    The thing is that Sprint wanted to jump directly to EV-DV, which will really imjportant for Sprint to increase voice capacity since A) EV-DO still uses 1xRTT for voice and B) they are already operating one MobileVirtualNetwork Operator (MVNO)-Virgin and ATT has announced that they will run another MVNO on Sprint once the Cingular-AWE deal goes through

HOWEVER, Qualcomm will not sell any EV-DV for a bit longer until they get some revenue from EV-DO so, yes they have changed their plans, but they have really modified their plans to fit delivery schedueles rather than reversed them since they had planned all along to upgrade. They were still the first ones to go 1x nationwide and I am confident that they will do well in this rollout also
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    They were still the first ones to go 1x nationwide and I am confident that they will do well in this rollout also
    The fact remains that Verizon is already testing in a couple markets and has provided "by the end of '04" guidance on when their EVDO network will be ready. Last I read Sprint was talking about mid-2005 for theirs. I will gladly take on any/all bets from those who think Sprint will beat Verizon with a rollout of a nationwide EVDO network.
    Off to iPhone land...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12