1.    #1  
    I am new to the forum, but I have read and enjoyed many of your posts. Some very knowledgable users here (myself excluded).

I have purchased the corporate version of win-hand to connect my new Treo 600 to my desktop at the office (which is behind a firewall). I have set up the desktop win-hand server and the pda correctly, but have been unsuccessful in transferring data.

In the process of discussing this with win-hand's creator, we determined that I can't ping my Treo. He suggested I call Sprint and ask them why. But as many of you probably know, contacting Sprint customer service can be a nightmare.

So I thought I would ask some of you Sprint & win-hand users if you have any suggestions first. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
  2.    #2  
    Update:
    I spoke with a technician at sprint that informed me that all of the phones in my tower area have the same IP (behind a router), so they are unable to accept incoming connections.

So my next question is has anyone successfully set up win-hand to allow your Sprint Treo 600 to communicate with your desktop which is behind a router or firewall (corporate version)? If so, could you please help me? Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    I haven't used win-hand... is it a program that is similar to VNC or Ultr@VNC? that you control your desktop with? if it is a program that runs on your treo that allows you to control your desktop via your treo, you might want to look into VNC... or Ultr@VNC (better compression and speeds)... both work extremely well and allow me to communicate with the desktop while i'm away... of course..you have to be able to allow a port open to connect to the desktop... not sure a lot of corporations allow that...sounds more like a technician question at your corporation if you can open a port on your computer
    sledgie
  4.    #4  
    Win-hand is similar to VNC, but it is supposed to work without opening a port. UNfortunately, I am out the $70 it costs and have thus far been unable to get it to work. The author of the software has been very responsive, but we are 3 days into this now and I still have no access. I am considering opening the router, but would prefer to do it this way (that is, if it is even possible).
    I have to turn off my firewall when I want to use Win-Hand.

When I do so it works flawlessly. I have a Sprint version Treo 600.
  6.    #6  
    Unfortunately I purchased the corporate version which is supposed to work around the router/firewall. Until I get confirmation from someone else who is using it this way, I remain skeptical of whether it even works.
    Quote Originally Posted by lovemybucks
    Unfortunately I purchased the corporate version which is supposed to work around the router/firewall. Until I get confirmation from someone else who is using it this way, I remain skeptical of whether it even works.
    I've never got the "firewall" mode to work correctly with sprint either. I'm guessing if sprint says multiple devices are using the same ip, then it probably won't work. have you tried opening win-hand's default port of 51111 on your router and try a direct connection? works for me, and supposed to be faster than "firewall" mode anyways...
    -- berto
  8.    #8  
    I haven't opened the router. The only reason to purchase the corporate version is so that you can go around/through the router. And since it can't actually do that (because Sprint uses a second router, apparently) I have asked for a refund of the purchase price.