1.    #1  
    Hello all,
    I am trying to setup a shoutcast server for all my mp3's (Save some room on my shrinking 256 mb card). I have d/l'ed winamp 2.91, shoutcast plugin, and the shoutcast server. I have port forwarding setup to the IP address, and I have setup a userfriendly address from no-ip.com. Is this all i need to start using the server? I'm going to make this Treo friendly and i'll share with all... after someone gives me a hand... pls...

Timmay
    I知 a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Sounds like you are on the appropriate track. Did you try it, and does it work?
  3.    #3  
    well idk where to go from here... i'm stuck. what link to i use? Does the IP i use in the port forwarding and the ip i give to no-ip.com have tobe the same? What happens when the IP on my side changes?

my no-ip address is http://gammaphi.hopto.org

Can you help fill in the blanks MuppetMaster?
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    you give no-ip and configure shoutcast with the same ip, (which is the static IP of your internet connection). I have cable, which is static, I'm not sure how to help you if your ip is dynamic.

Have you edited your shoutcast configuration? (the text file)
    First, for managing dynamic IP addresses from an ISP (better if they could give you a static one...) there are services such as these:

http://www.dyndns.org

Then, your URL will need something like the following (below is a stream I run, although only up at certain times for shows):

http://www.expathos.com:8010/listen.pls

- Shoutcast runs on port 8010 (although WinAmp already knows this for example)
    - You also need a 'listen.pls' file on your Shoutcast server as follows:

[playlist]
    NumberOfEntries=1
    File1=http://www.expathos.com:8010/

As for the IP setup if you have something like (what kind of router do you have?):

- 85.67.45.32 => 192.168.1.45 (where the 85.x.x.x is your WAN/Internet interface and the 192.x.x.x is your server where shoutcast is running)
    - If it is port forwarding, be sure to open the port 8010 as forwarded between those two addresses (unless you have changed this in the Shoutcast server config)

Let me know if thta helps.
    Last edited by muppetmaster; 07/22/2004 at 05:04 AM.
    Here is a working example, minus comments, for a sc_serv.conf (Shoutcast server side config file):

MaxUser=32
    Password=your_pass
    PortBase=8010
    LogFile=sc_serv.log
    RealTime=1
    ScreenLog=1
    ShowLastSongs=10
    W3CEnable=Yes
    W3CLog=sc_w3c.log
    SrcIP=ANY
    DestIP=ANY
    Yport=80
    NameLookups=0
    AdminPassword=your_pass
    AutoDumpUsers=0
    AutoDumpSourceTime=30
    TitleFormat=Expat-Radio
    PublicServer=default
    AllowRelay=Yes
    AllowPublicRelay=Yes
    MetaInterval=32768

And, if all that fails, might be best to switch the conversation over here:

http://forums.winamp.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=140

Good luck!
  7.    #7  
    THanks for all the help guys. I'll double check my settings in the config file. I did not relize that cable has a static IP (i have comcast) so that won't be a problem (thank god). I'll check everything when i get out of classes (5 pm !!!! i hate summer classes)

Thnx again!!
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    Cable isn't necessarily static, as this is a function of the policy of your ISP and not the transport medium.
  9.    #9  
    alrighty then, I have just signed up at http://www.dyndns.org (which means i won't need the no-ip.com address) This should kill two birds with one stone.

So when I get home i'll change all the settings and get this baby up and running (maaaaybe?)

Timmay
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    bigred,
    couple things. if you have shoutcast DNS setup you should be aware of some things. I use comcast and have the 3.5mbit/256 line. that's 3.5mbit down, 256 up. since you are broadcasting, the most you can broadcast is about 240 or so (this is kiloBITS) with overhead... the best connection i can get on my treo to my server is 32KBPS... (which is about 4k). i'm on sprint's network... i've been able to get up to 40kbps but that's with pausing/lagging in the songs every now and then.... i'd suggest 32 and if that doesn't work, go down to 24 in your configuration
    as for broadcasting to others, you can only get about 8-10 users at that rate on your computer, due to comcast's low upload bandwidth. you might have more (depending on what you ordered) but basic internet with comcast is 3.5mbitdown/256up (it might have been upgraded to 384 up now but that's not a huge difference).
    another thing you might want to know - when you first try connecting there will be about 1 min - 2 min lag before song starts on your treo. this is due to the encoding process of shoutcast. the song will show up on your treo (it should) but it won't play at first and will say reconnecting. let the song keep playing on your computer... and keep pressing the open key on the treo 600 and reloading... after about 1-2 min after the song starts on your computer it'll start to broadcast on the treo.
    remember also that you won't be able to stream mp3's directly to your treo very well, especially if they are above 40kbps. What i mean by that is there are two ways to broadcast to the treo via shoutcast/winamp... one is the shoutcast DNS server... the other is "on the fly" broadcast will in theory will broadcast any mp3 that you have on your computer in a certain directory if you type it into your treo.
    What i do it is i load a few playlists in the player, have it reencode to 32kbps (with the shoutcast encoding menu), and if i ever want to change the song i VNC into my computer and press the song i want... the one thing i've always wanted was to be able to play any mp3 from my computer by typing the song into my treo, but it never encodes to 32kbps due to the "on the fly" broadcast. so i suggest making a few playlists of songs you like, and loading them into winamp. if you want to change to next song, familiarize yourself with VNC and log into your computer. if not, just let it play.
    last but not least, you don't theoretically need to apply for a dns ip unless you want to give you ip out to others. comcast's ip are easily accessible through your router/computer... you also have the ability to change ports in shoutcast if you didn't want to use port 8010, but you'd have to forward it of course in your router. to get your ip of your computer, goto your router, log in, and go to status, and then it should say your internet address. if you type that internet address into ptunes followed by the port, it should connect. for instance, i type in http://67.123.45.67:123 into ptunes and it automatically loads my settings/songs. a good read through (essential i believe) is to read the readme for the shoutcast server... you can limit your server to 1 or 2 or 10000 people... so that they dont hog your bandwidth..
    sorry for the long post i got carried away
    sledgie

ps nice custom mods treo2660
    Bigred,

Did you get this working? Ansxiously awaiting a listen to your stream...
  12.    #12  
    well i'm at my girls for the week right now (anything to stay out of boston during the DNC!!!) I'll fiddle around with it on Tue but i won't be able to get a good crack at it til wend. But i'll be keeping you guys in the loop!

May think of getting a working VPN next... sounds pretty damn cool.

Timmay
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    if you run into more issues, give me a holler... you don't need to make a listen.pls file if you only have one stream (the shoutcast server will automagically make it for you and tune you in)...

If you want to be able to create playlists/play songs on the fly, wwwinamp will give you a simple web based front end to do this, http://www.nullsoft.com/free/wwwinamp/

-rob
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    I set one up yesterday, I could not get it to work with my router in place. I used this link, it has a 15 step setup.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....threadid=90040
    I wanted to get something like this for ages and I finally did it this weekend. My setup is a little different :
    -windoze 2000 machine with all my MP3s in one of those 50gb hard drives
    -I had an old machine lying around and I put rehat linux (fedora) on it...I mounted the windoze share (I shared the directory that has all the MP3 ) in this machine using samba and installed shoutcast server and the DSP plugin for liinux. I made a playlists of all my MP3s and started the shoutcast server...I set the bitrate to 24kbps....
    -I setup my router to port forward 8000 and 8001 to my linux box.
    -i had to completely uninstall zonealarm in my windoze machine without that I couldn't ping my windoze machine from linux
    -now I can listen to this stream from my treo....no problems...and iam on cingular...much lower bandwidth.
    -i hope to build an admin interface to the DSP plugin so I can change the playlist from my treo...instead of opening up ports to do telnet or vnc.

has anybody done something similar?
    Please tell me it works?

Need tunes on my bike!

Thanks in advance