Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    It looks like MotionApps has created a similarly functioned alternative, mDesk. It costs $40 vs. $24 for pdaReach (and let the price whining begin!).

I'd find this kind of app useful for working on documents on the Treo while sitting at my desk, where the Treo is usually in its cradle. I'd rather use MS-Word, but have been having trouble with Documents to Go creating duplicates when trying to sync between the PDA and two different desktop computers. Perhaps a solution for me is to only try to sync between PDA and one desktop, and on the second desktop use pdaReach or mDesk to work directly on the Treo. Even nicer would be if D2G didn't screw up the sync, but, wishes and fishes etc.

Has anyone tried both yet for comparison?
    Hi:
    I have not figured out how to cut and paste a url in this app. Does not seem to allow the paste function. Any ideas?

Bruce
    is there anything like this for the mac users =\
    Quote Originally Posted by nyy7
    Hi:
    I have not figured out how to cut and paste a url in this app. Does not seem to allow the paste function. Any ideas?

Bruce
    I'm able to cut and paste a url just fine. I paste the url into the separate text box that pops up whenever I type something.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyy7
    Hi:
    Bruce
    Seems obvious to me. Whener you enter/edit a text field, it opens a Windows text box where you can cut and paste the usual windows way. I can't explain it any better than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by treolady
    is there anything like this for the mac users =\
    I wonder if it works under windows simulation software on the MAC? Does the USB port work when using Virtual PC et al?

MACs look good but I would frustrated as hell with a MAC if it didn't somehow run Win apps. I hear the emulators are not bad on a high end system but forget game play. They should port MACOS to the intel platform. If priced right, It would pose a serious threat to MS and Solaris. It would also make Linux on the Desktop moot. Of course, it'll never happen because Apple has historically resisted ideas that would lead to huge market penetration... weird. It's too bad because basing the OS on BSD has made it awesome.
    so i take it that's a no....
    Quote Originally Posted by treolady
    so i take it that's a no....
    No, I would say it's worth a shot if you have this software:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product...?pid=virtualpc

or something comparable.
    Wow - this is a cool app. I use my Treo all day long for all my actions/meetings/to-dos, etc, and now I can manage all that from the PC. Place and answer calls, start and stop Pocket-Tunes, cross off to-dos, do all SMSing, etc - it rocks. They've got my money.
    norton antivirus sais that its an unsafe program on my comp
    DealScanner - <- best deal site on the web
    DealScanner
    Quote Originally Posted by CojonesDeToro
    No, I would say it's worth a shot if you have this software:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product...?pid=virtualpc

or something comparable.
    bummer. i'll pass on it.
    Thanks,
    I didn't have the prefs checked to open up the text display box.
    Bruce
    While I think the idea of this program is pretty cool, don't most of you have desktop companions to the programs your playing with? I alter my contacts, memos, to-dos, appointments, etc. on the desktop companions. I play MP3s through my computer when possible. I don't see why I would want to do something different.

I guess I can see its use for some Treo-specific programs, but I guess I don't use those as often as some of y'all.
    pbryon - a fair question, and a logical one. Here's how I'm using it (in the couple of hours I've been messing with it):

Incoming calls ring at the device: I answer via the PC keyboard and talk on the treo speakerphone (or via earbud if hooked up). Don't have to pick up the 600 or mash the answer.

I use Agendus primarily to deal with things - meetings, to-dos, etc. It's very easy to input/modify those on the 600 via this app. Yes, I could enter those in Outlook, but I prefer the UI and contact linking function of Agendus. So, I do all that in Agendus, and now being able to control the 600 via the PC keyboard makes things go much faster.

IM: I use my 600 exclusively to IM. Now when I get IMs all day long, I can do that via the PC keyboard, just as if I were using a PC client app. VERY useful.

Music: I use my 600 also exclusively to listen to music - since I'm up and down from my office throughout the day (and use the Seidio 2in1 headset), it's just easier for me to have my music accessible via the 600, and being able to stop/start Pocket-Tunes via this app, without having to pick up the deivce is just really a convenience factor. No, it's not life-changing, just easier. For me.

Basically, here's how I see this app: for someone who drives most of their day via the 600 (rather than via a PC companion, as you said), and for the someone who is by their PC a good part of the day, this app can be very useful. For example, just a moment ago, I sent an email to someone via Outloook, into which I had pasted some past meeting notes which I copied out of the treo with this app. That paste process was very simple. Yes, I could have gone into Outlook, found the meeting, opened the meeting, copied the notes, pasted into the new email, but that entire process was just simpler for me to do via the treo and via PDAReach. But that's just me. Everyone's needs are different.
    I'm writing this on PDAReach which allows me to keep up with Treo Central unobtrusively while at work.
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Pretty cool app so far. I was able to input 150 email contacts into Agendus without missing a beat. Also, you can immediatly sync the new info TO Outlook, instead of having to open Outlook, input info and then Change the Chapura settings to allow Outlook to overwrite handheld. I also like the idea of being able to answer the phone on screen. One useful feature is the ability to enlarge the screen by changing to the standard skin. It makes data entry SOOO much easier to see. Anyone else have any new uses?
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    One more thought, is there a way to play ptunes thru your computer using this app?
    I have my Phone Display pref set for "typing starts contacts search".

Cannot get this to work on PC screen from keyboard. ( Have to go to Treo to search contacts this way)

Any ideas?

Bruce
    nyy7 - I've asked this same question already to the PDAReach folks, and after I explained the diff btw 'typing starts contact search' and 'typing starts dialing' to them, and how that seems to make a difference in this scenario, I'm now waiting on a response from them.
    Here's what they initially responded with, and why I had to clarify:

>>With the Treo, it would be very nice to have the keyboard (thumboard) active via the PC mouse. So, for example, when I bring up
    the >>phone dialer program, it would be SO nice to be able to enter a few keys on the PC keyboard, and have those keys act the same
    way as if >>I were entering them on the thumboard, and be able to hit enter (or use the mouse) to dial that contact. All without
    having to touch the >>Treo.
    Hm...I am lost, PdaReach should do exactly what you are looking for: allowing you to use your PC keyboard to enter letters or
    numbers directly. I try to launch the phone app and press the number keys on my PC and those numbers do show up on the Treo...or
    maybe I misunderstood your question?

Thanks,
    PdaNet Support

and I told them that we wanted the LETTERS to activate contact lookup, not just numbers to activate dialing. So - we'll see.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast