1.    #1  
    I finally purchased a data plan and have successfully downloaded and sent my first messages using the Palm mail program. As it is not an unlimited usage plan, I attempted to find a program option that would download only those messages that I have not already downloaded to my Treo. The only options that I could find went from the last 24 hours to all messages.

As I want to keep all downloaded messages on my server until I can download them to my home computer am I out of luck? Is there a mail program that will only download messages not already retreived while still keeping them on my server?

many thanks for your help.
    The Palm Mail program can easily do what you are asking (it probably already is). As far as keeping messages on the server, there is an option in the app to "leave mail on server." Simply place a check mark next to it (if it isn't there already) and that's it. After you check your email with the Treo for the first time, it will download copies of all emails on the server. Delete the ones you do not want on your Treo and next time you check your email, only new messages that are not currently on the Treo will be downloaded to the Treo.
  3.    #3  
    Marty1781,

I had checked the "leave on server". I still have a question. Say I download 2 messages to the Treo, read them and delete them from my Treo will those same two messages not be downloaded to my Treo once again, if I check for new messages 2 hours later, if they are still on my server and I haven't been home to download them permenantly to my laptop?
    If you delete them from the Treo and then check your email again without downloading them onto your home computer, the Treo will NOT redownload those two messages. It knows which messages it has and has not already downloaded regardless if there is a copy of it in your Treo's inbox or not.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder204
    Marty1781,

I had checked the "leave on server". I still have a question. Say I download 2 messages to the Treo, read them and delete them from my Treo will those same two messages not be downloaded to my Treo once again, if I check for new messages 2 hours later, if they are still on my server and I haven't been home to download them permenantly to my laptop?
    As far as I know, those messages would NOT be downloaded a second time. They would be just kept on the server until you viewed them on your laptop.

Not sure if Palm's e-mail program does this, but I know in Snappermail if you read & delete a message, and then proceed to empty the trash, Snapper has an option that will delete the message from the server...but I digress
  6.    #6  
    Marty1781 & jasparks,

Many thanks for your quick responses. I will test it out later tonight and see what happens.
    The only time that it will download the file again is if you delete the file "Email_libr_HsMP...." which takes with it all your email accounts. There are threads about that file growing every time you check your mail and how the fix is to delete the file using Filez and then setup your email accounts again. Well if you do that and then check your mail, it will download any email on your server even if you have previously downloaded it.
  8.    #8  
    MVT,
    thanks for the info.
    I read up on the post you wrote and had no idea that this is such a potential problem. I looked at my email file through Filez and found the file. It had 360 kb . I saved the file to my SD card for future use if needed and will keep track of the file size. If needbe do I erase the one from the palm and copy the saved one back in?

Why is there not so much traffic on this issue. with all of the email users out there I would think that it would be of major issue to everyone.
    I think there is not so much traffic because most Treo users purchased Snappermail and use that for their email software. Not so many are using the Handspring mail. I like some of the features of the Handspring mail like the background retrieval but this growing file is a real issue and I'm surprised PalmOne hasn't created a fix for it.

What I did was I deleted the file, then I set up my email accounts and then copied the native file to my SD card in a personal folder. When I find that the file is getting large on my Palm, I copy it over from my SD card . This wipes out all emails you have on your Palm so you won't want to do it if you have any that you want to save.
  10.    #10  
    do you need to delete the file on the palm before you copy the saved one back to it?

I'm quite the novice at moving files between the palm and the sd card. I'm not sure how to get the file into a directory that I named palm email. it ended up in the palm program directory in the sd card.
    No. You can just copy it over from the SD card. It will ask you if you want to replace the file that already exists and you say yes and you'll be back to a completely clean file (and much smaller too).
  12.    #12  
    I had read earlier that the file will not be reduced by deleting old emails located in the delete box yet I noticed that when I emptied my delete box the file size did decrease. Has anyone else experienced this?