Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    It seems to be working fairly well so far, but last night as my Backupman V1.52b5 tried to do it daily scheduled back up, crash, phone reset, when I disable BC, backup works fine.
    JFMw, thanks for this clever program. A few comments on my trial with v.6 on my T650:

1. I agree with johnski1969 that it does slow down the T650 considerably.

2. Dark settings are tricky. In very dark settings at night, the keyboard lights come on only after changing sensitivity to at least "very thick". Even then, the LCD screen is nearly black. Increasing the calibration to allow for a lighted LCD in dark conditions leads to an LCD that is too bright in other conditions (battery drain).

3. I never knew of a default LCD function that automatically dims the screen after 15s and never noticed it on my T650 prior to installing BrightCam. I never even knew about until reading one of your "info" screens--is this perhaps a default feature on the T600? I've disabled BC and I still get this 15s dimming (I have LCD auto dim disabled). Anyone else notice this?
  3.    #163  
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    JFMw, thanks for this clever program. A few comments on my trial with v.6 on my T650:

1. I agree with johnski1969 that it does slow down the T650 considerably.

2. Dark settings are tricky. In very dark settings at night, the keyboard lights come on only after changing sensitivity to at least "very thick". Even then, the LCD screen is nearly black. Increasing the calibration to allow for a lighted LCD in dark conditions leads to an LCD that is too bright in other conditions (battery drain).

3. I never knew of a default LCD function that automatically dims the screen after 15s and never noticed it on my T650 prior to installing BrightCam. I never even knew about until reading one of your "info" screens--is this perhaps a default feature on the T600? I've disabled BC and I still get this 15s dimming (I have LCD auto dim disabled). Anyone else notice this?
    Next beta will improve speed (a little).

Timer are different in 600 and 650:

650 has 2 steps: 1st after 16 seconds, second after 60 seconds. Actions depend on the situation, but to keep it simple LCD is dimming at 16 seconds, then dimming again at 60 seconds and keyboard goes off after 60 seconds.

600 has only 1 step: 8 or 16 seconds. Keyboard goes off and in the same time LCD is dimming. It is 8 seconds or 16 seconds depending on the current mode (night mode or normal mode).

This is undocumented, and addressed in a very strange way by the system. It took me a little time (and a lot of Scott's and Jeff's help) to figure this out...!

Cheers, Jean-Francois.
    I'm just installed BrightCam and it look sgood.

I have a couple of suggestions:

1. The "Noisy surrounding boosts" states that is is restricted to contributing users (registration key) only, but it still can show as selected. You probabaly should change that behavior.

2. When on the "sound" screen and trying to use the time feature (clicking on "All the time") you cannot ste a time that start at say, 10:00 and ends the next morning. You can only set a start and end time within the same day. Can you fix that?
    I had installed then ended up deleting BC because of it kills speed of treo... & now my 650 LCD is much dimmer than stock...have brightness all the way up...
    how do I fix what BC screwed up?
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnski1969
    I had installed then ended up deleting BC because of it kills speed of treo... & now my 650 LCD is much dimmer than stock...have brightness all the way up...
    how do I fix what BC screwed up?
    Do a reset.
    I noticed the power on time was very lengthy with BC so I deleted it as well. Just reset the Treo and that should clear last bit of BC.
    The latest beta (02, which hasn't been published yet I don't believe) is better on power on time from what I can tell.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  8.    #168  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    The latest beta (02, which hasn't been published yet I don't believe) is better on power on time from what I can tell.
    I guess I should put this new beta online
    like the 650 doesn't reset enough on its own lol
    reset did not fix it...
    I reinstalled BC & tried messing around to get my brightness back to no avail.. I wish I never tried it.. I remember being funky, hard to set up & inconsitant on 600 as well. directions for set up r vague & really confusing...... AAAARRR0GGG
    Quote Originally Posted by JFMw
    I guess I should put this new beta online
    Yep!

11.    #171  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnski1969
    like the 650 doesn't reset enough on its own lol
    reset did not fix it...
    I reinstalled BC & tried messing around to get my brightness back to no avail.. I wish I never tried it.. I remember being funky, hard to set up & inconsitant on 600 as well. directions for set up r vague & really confusing...... AAAARRR0GGG
    ?

BrightCam calls SysLCDBrightness(), a standard function that sets the brightness from 0 to 255. Brightness level is a preference of the system, if you find this default value wrong you might consider open the "Prefs" application to modify the brightness configuration. Fast, easy, and efficient.

You can read the tutorial at http://treoware.com/brightcam.html

Cheers, Jean-Francois.
    I have a feature request for BrightCam.

With the newer Treo 650s having firmware (v. 1.14 and 1.15 I guess) that gives them the ability to variably adjust the keyboard backlighting (at this point, it is tied to the screen brightness and is adjusted in parallel). Is it possible to incorporate this in BrightCam?

My main problem with the way Palm has chosen to do this is that the screen is just to difficult to focus on in the darker evening hours with that blindingly bright keyboard. If the KB backlight could be adjusted independently from the screen backlight by a couple steps down or something, that would be incredible.

Do you have access to this code?
  13.    #173  
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    I have a feature request for BrightCam.

With the newer Treo 650s having firmware (v. 1.14 and 1.15 I guess) that gives them the ability to variably adjust the keyboard backlighting (at this point, it is tied to the screen brightness and is adjusted in parallel). Is it possible to incorporate this in BrightCam?

My main problem with the way Palm has chosen to do this is that the screen is just to difficult to focus on in the darker evening hours with that blindingly bright keyboard. If the KB backlight could be adjusted independently from the screen backlight by a couple steps down or something, that would be incredible.

Do you have access to this code?
    I will have a look when I will get my 650.
    I hope it will have this firmware to be able to test this...
    Jean-Francois.

update: as far as I can see, the keyboard backlight is linked to the screen backlight, and I can't find a solution to configure it independently...
    Last edited by JFMw; 04/11/2005 at 12:51 AM.
  14. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Jean,
    I noticed a new/updated version of BrightCam was posted at MTDN. I was wondering has the lag been fixed. I really like the features of this program, just not the lag.
  15.    #175  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Jean,
    I noticed a new/updated version of BrightCam was posted at MTDN. I was wondering has the lag been fixed. I really like the features of this program, just not the lag.
    The luminosity measure is faster in this latest release, but the camera takes a lot of time to power on and this is now the main part of the lag Anyway, I think it is still much better!

Cheers, Jean-Francois.
    I'm seeing a fairly odd behavior with BrightCam 0.6.0 on a Treo 650 (GSM, unlocked). Namely, the *keyboard* lighting seems consistent with the current lighting condition... but the *LCD* isn't! I "calibrated" the low/hight brightness ... which worked out to about 0 to 244 (pretty much what I'd have expected). But even in a room with total darkness (and the camera covered) the display was completely dark! I had to turn on a dim light to get the backlight to come on!?

Anyone else run into similar behavior? I *really* like the concept of this software and would gladly even pay for it... but I want to be sure it's working properly first. I have had one auto-restart this morning (installed late last night) on an otherwise restart-free T650.
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    I'm seeing a fairly odd behavior with BrightCam 0.6.0 on a Treo 650 (GSM, unlocked). Namely, the *keyboard* lighting seems consistent with the current lighting condition... but the *LCD* isn't! I "calibrated" the low/hight brightness ... which worked out to about 0 to 244 (pretty much what I'd have expected). But even in a room with total darkness (and the camera covered) the display was completely dark! I had to turn on a dim light to get the backlight to come on!?

Anyone else run into similar behavior? I *really* like the concept of this software and would gladly even pay for it... but I want to be sure it's working properly first. I have had one auto-restart this morning (installed late last night) on an otherwise restart-free T650.
    On the main tab in brightcam, adjust the calibration slider a couple ticks to the right of center, and this should set you fine. On the 650, the "darkest" light setting turns off the LCD backlight making it completely unreadable, but if you adjust the slider a couple ticks to the right it will never get to this darkness setting.

Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    On the main tab in brightcam, adjust the calibration slider a couple ticks to the right of center, and this should set you fine. On the 650, the "darkest" light setting turns off the LCD backlight making it completely unreadable, but if you adjust the slider a couple ticks to the right it will never get to this darkness setting.
    Well, moving the slider had the effect you noted. It also resulted in the keyboard backlight always being off. I found I also had to turn up the "sensitivity" to "thick" in order to get a good balance between these... but in reality the labels on these controls leaves me entirely confused as to what I'm adjusting and why I'd be adjusting this way.

So I seem to have the right behavior now... but I'd really appreciate a clearer interface and/or much more explanatory docs.
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    I *really* like the concept of this software and would gladly even pay for it...
    It is free but a donation will allow for some nice, unlocked features. What the heck, send the guy a few bucks so as to encourage more free software. I did.
    It should be a 10-dollar software. But it is free. i'd like give my Donation to support.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast