Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by manilenio
    *sigh* It happened again, the dreaded "hang" when using brightcam. My unit just freezes and is unresponsive. I had to uninstall it again. Oh well... the saga continues.
    I'm not against progress but, I seem to remember that the original release of this program worked fine for me. Now that more bells and whistles keep getting added I've had to remove it as it conflicts with lots of other programs on the Treo.

Oh well that's progress
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  2.    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    I'm not against progress but, I seem to remember that the original release of this program worked fine for me. Now that more bells and whistles keep getting added I've had to remove it as it conflicts with lots of other programs on the Treo.

Oh well that's progress
    Dunno what to say... I always put the previous release with the new ones in the zip, so that if you have a problem with the new release you can still install the previous one. But, if you uncheck the new options (all Sound features, Backlight auto. adjust, and Backlight key) and then reset the Treo, you will only have the features from the previous release without some annoying bugs.

You should also consider trying BC "alone", just reset the Treo while pressing the "up" key: it will disable applications from launching automatically. Then, lauch and quit BC to enable it and see if it works. If not, this is not an application that is conflicting, but a problem that will be more difficult to solve (alas).

Please note that I am note trying to say that BC has no problem, I might have missed something somewhere that is causing your problems. If so, I'm really sorry about it, and of course I would prefer to hear only happy users! But I also noticed during my tests that PalmOS has a very high capacity for becoming instable time after time, especially if you are installing/uninstalling applications often. Believe it or not, but when you uninstall an application and even after a reset some files are still on your Treo. I have Treos for 2 years now, and I don't count anymore how many times I have to install back all applications from scratch because the biscuit was instable. To be honest, my Treo 600 (that I use to develop and test applications) is much more stable than my previous Treo 180 (that I only used in a normal way). And my Treo 180 was still more stable than my Windows ;-)
    Sorry JFMw, I did not mean to offend

I know a lot of hard work goes into these apps, and your not charging either.

It's just that sometimes the more that is added the more problems occur.

MovieRec is a classic, and I'm not having a go at them either, but the first version had a real WOW value when I showed people what my Treo camera could now do, but as more features were added it then got slower and does not have that WOW effect anymore.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  4.    #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    Sorry JFMw, I did not mean to offend

I know a lot of hard work goes into these apps, and your not charging either.

It's just that sometimes the more that is added the more problems occur.

MovieRec is a classic, and I'm not having a go at them either, but the first version had a real WOW value when I showed people what my Treo camera could now do, but as more features were added it then got slower and does not have that WOW effect anymore.

Don't worry, you're not offending me, thank you for your message

Alas, I must admit that you might be right. The latest releases of BrightCam are pushing the Treo to its limits. The keyboard backlight, the sound volume, the backlight key... all of this were not supposed to be changed that way. The good news are that it works... most of the time. BrightCam has been downloaded more than 4000 times (and I only count downloads in PalmGear and Mytreo.net), and very few users have problems. I would be very pleased to see only happy users, and I did a hard work to do so. I've been able to solve most remaining issues, I'm just sorry not being able to solve *all* of them...

Now, just to give you an idea, here is a *real life* story: I know it well, because it's mine. 3 weeks ago, my Treo was crashing when I was receiving phone calls. I thought it was because of BC (I was just testing a new way to handle events to set the volume back after a boost), and I spent my whole day changing everything to understand why it was crashing and was able to reproduce the problem (receiving a phone call with bright lighting, then dim lighting, again bright lighting => bang). The night was coming, I was tired, and wanted my phone to receive calls without crashing, so I removed BC entirely from my phone. I was surprised to see that it was still crashing!!! I removed LEDOff, CallFilter, pTunes... and still crashing. I then removed Agendus, Profiles... still crashing. After 10 minutes, I removed about *everything* and the phone was still crashing!!! I had to hard reset the phone, and install back my databases and applications, and since then all is working fine. I really don't have any explanation to this, but it took me a whole day to search a bug that was not due to BrightCam, and a whole morning to install back my phone. Conclusion? Well, dunno...

Regards, Jean-Francois.
    Credit where credit is due Jean-Francois, I've loaded the latest version 0.4.3 and everything is working perfectly.

I'll give it another day to be sure and then pay a visit to Paypal

Cheers

Chas
    I saw on mytreo.net that Brightcam 0.4.5 is already out! Again, I'm gonna go for it and try it again. I'll keep my fingers crossed. In case it's perfect now, can I send a donation thru paypal even if I'm not from the US?
  7.    #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by manilenio
    I saw on mytreo.net that Brightcam 0.4.5 is already out! Again, I'm gonna go for it and try it again. I'll keep my fingers crossed. In case it's perfect now, can I send a donation thru paypal even if I'm not from the US?
    So? Still hanging?

I'm still looking for someone like you to do some tests with me. Very few people have this problem, and I would like to do some tests with an application test. So, if you want to help, let me know and post me an IM with your email.

Jean-Francois.
    Hi JFMw, I downloaded the most recent (0.4.5) and it went well for a day or so. Then, it hung twice and I checked the error messages. The 1st error was "while running Phone" and the second error actually made my phone do a soft reset, the error being "while running SMS". To tell you the truth, The 1st error is something I've seen before with Brightcam, the second error could be more with CallFilter trying to auto reply. I haven't uninstalled it yet and still trying it out some more. I'll report back any problems I still encounter. If you want me to do any trouble shooting steps for you, lemme know
    Oh, and just to narrow things down a bit, I'll list the apps I have installed:
    Alerts
    Brightcam 0.4.5
    BugMe! 5.12 trial
    Butler 1.92 registered
    CallFilter 1.2 registered
    Cleanup 3.35b registered
    ClockPop 5
    FileProg 1.14
    HappyDays 2.29
    KeyCaps 600
    KsDatebook 1.6.1
    MovieRec
    Profeo MM
    pTunes
    SoundRec
    TCRinger
    TowerClock
    TreoAlert Manager 2.1 registered
    TreoOffOn
    TreoShutter
    Uninstall Manager 2.6 registered
    Profiles 0.18
    TreoSelecText registered
    ShortCut5

Settings I have for Brightcam:
    Main:
    Integration (checked) Profiles 0.18
    LIght:
    (All checked)
    Dimming - normal
    Sound:
    Only for phone & alarms (no hours set)

My GSM treo version:
    Firmware: 03.05
    Software: 1.12-ROW
    Hardware B

Hope this helps.
    I found this interesting. Brightcam is free at Palmgear http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...=&prodID=66507 but costs $14.95 at Handango http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...arch=brightcam
    They tryin' to pull a "fast one"? I hope at least the author gets some proceeds.
  12.    #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by lb505
    I found this interesting. Brightcam is free at Palmgear http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...=&prodID=66507 but costs $14.95 at Handango http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...arch=brightcam
    You're right, but if you download it, you will see that even on Handango it is the same DonationWare version on both sites. Reason? BrightCam has been downloaded more than ten thousand times on different sites, and I received some donations (thank you to all donators, I really appreciate your support!), but in no way the 2 figures can be compared. My thoughts: maybe users are downloading it because they see it is freeware (donationware falls into freeware technically), and they don't see why they should donate then. So, maybe when someone is downloading BrightCam to test it, thinking that it is a $14.95 shareware, maybe he would donate when seeing that it is a donationware. Well, believe me, it doesn't work that much

Well, that was the reason.

I did not want to make shareware applications: I did not want people not being able to use my applications because they can't afford it. I thought that DonationWare was a good idea: if you can pay, you're supposed to pay an honest price. If you don't have that much money, you can make a little $1 donation, it's ok. Well... welcome to utopia
    I was having lock-ups, and I removed BC and the they've gone away -- I'm not sure what version I was up to, but it was pretty recent.

I donated, and I'd do it again -- I'm confident that these problems will be resolved over time, or that I'll be able to find workarounds when I have the time. Being a software developer myself (not PalmOS, regrettably, but both commercially and supported by donations, in different contexts), I know how these things progress. BC shows the sort of pioneering spirit that makes me glad I bought the Treo -- keep it up! When I get time, I'll send you details.
    "I was having lock-ups, and I removed BC and the they've gone away -- I'm not sure what version I was up to, but it was pretty recent."

Yes, same here. The phone was seizing and crashing. Sadly, I had to take BrightCam away.

Surely, the idea behind the application is sound. As you mention, now it's truly a matter of the developer getting it right...
    "This space intentionally left blank."
    Quote Originally Posted by write1here
    "I was having lock-ups, and I removed BC and the they've gone away -- I'm not sure what version I was up to, but it was pretty recent."

Yes, same here. The phone was seizing and crashing. Sadly, I had to take BrightCam away.

Surely, the idea behind the application is sound. As you mention, now it's truly a matter of the developer getting it right...
    Your situation is odd. I have been running BC for some time now with no hangs/crashes. There was a time with v0.3.x where BC did regularly crash on my Treo. I now run a pretty full Treo with over 100 applications loaded with little to no conflicts now between other applications and BC v0.4.6. Have you done any investigation with ##377 logs to see what the offending application might be? I've been through a lot of trial and error lately and might be able to help if you wanted to describe what you have running on your treo and what you are doing when the Treo crashes/hangs.

I think BC is one of the best applications out there right now and like jgh1, I have made donations to JFMw for his terrific work.
    Indeed, it is a true and fine application. But, alas, it is crashing...
  17.    #117  

BrightCam *is* pretty recent, latest release is 0.4.6.

Well, let's make things clear: I can not analyse and fix something that I can not reproduce. I might do something, but I need someone to help me for this, someone who's Treo is always crashing with BC and that have a SD card to backup with BackupBuddy (or another backup application). I suspect a hardware issue with the camera chip and/or the camera API and I need someone to do some tests for me (including: trying BC on the "cleaned" device, launching a test application that will give me informations about camera chip, another one simulating the camera access, a special BC version not reading the camera values to see if it continues to crash...).

I've asked several times for this kind of help in this thread...

Wanna help?
    "BrightCam *is* pretty recent, latest release is 0.4.6.

Well, let's make things clear: I can not analyse and fix something that I can not reproduce. I might do something, but I need someone to help me for this, someone who's Treo is always crashing with BC and that have a SD card to backup with BackupBuddy (or another backup application). I suspect a hardware issue with the camera chip and/or the camera API and I need someone to do some tests for me (including: trying BC on the "cleaned" device, launching a test application that will I've me informations about camera chip, another one simulating the camera access, a special BC version not reading the camera values to see if it continues to crash...).

I've asked several times for this kind of help in this thread...

Wanna help?"

=================

Your pluck and tenacity are truly appreciated. In a world of quick fixes and half-hearted committments, the dedication of developers like yourself radiates right and rectitude. Yet this said, it bears noting that all our lives are crammed with much to do, multi-tasking personal and professional aspects of who we are, and what needs to be done. Indeed, at the risk of sounding churlish and unappreciative, I am ambivalent about the practive of asking folks who are not developers and are also leading active and full lives like each of us (each in his or her own way) to spend a significant portion of their time "troubleshooting" problems on this device or that piece of equipement.

Surely, software developement is a collaborative effort, with inventor and user pulling together. However, I think that "balance" sometimes tips all too far in the direciton of the average Joe who just wants to purchase an application that works. Again, this is not to deny the true, noble effort you put into your work, but rather a point to consider...taking a moment to reflect on just what each of our roles ought to be. The countless hours you put into your job -- developing software that benefits the many -- demands rigor and precision, an intellectual pursuit toward excellence. Moreover, there is a touch of "art" as much as "science" in what you do. What you create truly has the shine of inspiration and magic.

This said, at least for myself, the implicit sense that it is somehow my job to put in many hours on making sure an application is not buggy and actually works, seems, well, a tad unfair. As I said, I get the collaborative aspect of what you do...but I think that balance can be thrown out of wack when so much time has to be spent on the user end just getting an application to cause no harm, forget working as stated.

Some thoughts sparked by your last post.
    This said, at least for myself, the implicit sense that it is somehow my job to put in many hours on making sure an application is not buggy and actually works, seems, well, a tad unfair.
    I would agree if this were a "pay to play" product, but it is not. When you make these sorts of complaints you run the risk of "why bother" syndrome from the developer. This person made something out of sheer enthusiasm and the love of an intellectual pursuit. Somehow, I doubt the developer will get rich from 'docationware'. I think it's important that the developer get some sort of constructive feedback.

I would also expect that anyone who actively helps debug the development process should receive a lifetime license to use the product (should the licensing change from 'free, as in beer' to a commercial one)

So now that I have opened my big mouth. I did notice that a very early release did actually work for me while the .46 release did not. I did not suffer crashes but I could not get it to automatically adjust lighting. I volunteer to help debug the problem. Let me know what I can do.
    'I would agree if this were a "pay to play" product, but it is not. When you make these sorts of complaints you run the risk of "why bother" syndrome from the developer. This person made something out of sheer enthusiasm and the love of an intellectual pursuit. Somehow, I doubt the developer will get rich from 'docationware'. I think it's important that the developer get some sort of constructive feedback.

I would also expect that anyone who actively helps debug the development process should receive a lifetime license to use the product (should the licensing change from 'free, as in beer' to a commercial one)

So now that I have opened my big mouth. I did notice that a very early release did actually work for me while the .46 release did not. I did not suffer crashes but I could not get it to automatically adjust lighting. I volunteer to help debug the problem. Let me know what I can do.'

=========

Cojones, you make some true points. Though if you read my full post, you will see I have included the very factors you metion. Moreover, it is intersting that you use the word "complaints." Though the developer here will not get rich on this sole application, we must also note, in all honesty, that one is asked to pay a fee for the software. Nothing wrong with that, but in terms of full disclosure, this fact should not be lost. Additionally, users ought to have a say when it comes to voicing their thoughts visa vi software versus merely serving as compliant subjects simply here to serve. After all, the process is a two-way street. One can disagree without being disagreeable. Indeed, the very process demands accountabilty and honesty. Once fear is your motivator rather than enlightenment, then things start heading south quickly. If the impulse becomes "Gosh, I had better not express a discouraging word since it might offend the developer," well, you are on slippery slope, surely. It would be a sad day for users and for developers if the great conversation we all are embarked on here on this web site fell prey to timidity, to the desire to tow a sort of implicit party line prompted by fear rather than true exploration, fear that with 'these sorts of complaints you run the risk of "why bother" syndrome from the developer."' Indeed, I think any true developer understands this, and is eager and interested in getting honest reactions and feedback running the gamut, covering a wide range. Praise is good, surely, and in this instance well deserved. But ask any developer worth his or her salt and he or she would agree with Thomas de Quincy: Sometimes it is better discovering new questions than old answers. Thanks for your input, Cojones, for furthering conversation on the board here.