1.    #1  
    Just saw story that Duke University will give IPODs to all incoming freshmen. They will post schedules, audio books, language help, etc. for download to IPOD. Palmone better wakeup. They should be providing leadership in this area.

John
    I agree, but remember universities are still running on mac. the work force is running on pc & palm os stuff
    ohio state SUCKS!! & michigan state will never measure up!
    p.s. lakers SUCK too!! GO PISTONS!!
    and people wonder why college costs so much
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    most universities are pc these days, not mac
    Quote Originally Posted by johnkav
    Just saw story that Duke University will give IPODs to all incoming freshmen. They will post schedules, audio books, language help, etc. for download to IPOD. Palmone better wakeup. They should be providing leadership in this area.

John
    I have both a Treo 600 and an iPod. I find it easier to visualize using the Treo for the things that I use the iPod for (music and a-books) than the other way around. I find the Treo more intuitive and better for one-hand operation than the iPod. Making phone calls or browsing on the iPod really sucks. Deep storage is nice and makes all applications more valuable but it does not substitute for good applications.
    you can make phone calls on and ipod???? an ipod is much better for music play back and storage.
    Why is this post in the Treo 600 Hardware forum?
    Am I the ONLY one that sees the potential in linking the iPod as a portable storage HD for the Treo? Knowing PalmOne's and Apple's glacial pace of development, this will never happen.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Am I the ONLY one that sees the potential in linking the iPod as a portable storage HD for the Treo? Knowing PalmOne's and Apple's glacial pace of development, this will never happen.
    Just wait for Pa1m to get off their a$$es. Hopefully they will see the value of USB OTG. That way you can hookup a hard drive to a treo, or camara to the Treo (you know, one that takes real pictures and not joke photos). You could have the ability to hookup any two USB items and have the two talk to eachother. This is the next step, and hopefully the fourth generation Treo (next step after the Ace) will have that or at the least a USB host control.

Timmay
    I’m a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    you are all dumb

;-P
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalvor
    you are all dumb

;-P
    Was that really necessary? Why the insult?
    Quote Originally Posted by hova
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahalvor
    you are all dumb

;-P
    Was that really necessary? Why the insult?
    Remember - NEVER FEED TROLLS.

As for the topic, I saw the news item on Duke and was very surprised. Although I realize the iPod may be cheaper, why hobble the students with a non-PDA device for a very PDA-centric purpose? Even a Tungsten E or Zire 72 would be much better. In fact, an 802.11b or cellular PDA solution would be far superior - connectivity and true schedule/contact/document control.

Looks to me like someone at Apple got to close to the Duke IT department...
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Dear Sir,

Haha...hmm...it takes one to recognize one...
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    I don't think it's a question of using a non-PDA for a PDA purpose. Anyone here can see that the Treo would be a better choice of device for Duke's purposes.

But iPods, remember, are trendy and cool. You're far more likely to get the freshmen excited about using an iPod than a Treo, simply because the iPod has become THE electronic device to have among young, hip students (and everyone else, for that matter). The kids will see it as a free music player to use, and will dig into the school-related functions here and there, depending on how well the teachers integrate the iPod into their classes.

Whereas, if you gave all the kids Treos, or more likely non-phone PDAs (to avoid the cell phone rate plan complications, etc.), like the Tungsten, most kids would leave them in their desks and never use them.

Like it or not, the iPod is cool, Palms are not. At least to the masses. And Duke is looking to make a PRPRPR $move$ $here$ $to$ $show$ $how$ $cool$ $they$ $are$. $It$'$s$ $not$ $about$ $education$. $It$'$s$ $about$ $good$ $press$.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
  15.    #15  
    The Treo 600 should be 'the computer" on campus. Many colleges now provide laptops for freshmen. They would be better off with treo 600's. They could get rid of all dorm phones and also provide a great computer. I am sure Apple is thinking about this with the Ipod. PalmOne better wake up.

John
    I have never understood the market for the Tungsten but a campus with ubiquitous WiFi is a good environment for a Tungsten (with VoIP software).

However, those who are waiting for P1 to get a clue should suggest where they can buy it. There are just so many Handsprings out there for them to buy and they do not seem to be able to generate it internally. Seems like a long while since they announced that they were abandoniing the PDA market for the softphone market but I have not seen any products. While I love my Treo 600, it came from HS and new toys for it seem to be coming from others.